Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Reply
Uncharted Territory
Registered: 04/29/2009
Offline
1446 posts
 

Re: First active gay athlete to come out.

Apr 30, 2013

DoubleO_seven wrote:

Goes by the name of Jason Collins. Plays center in the NBA and is the first athlete to come out in any of the 4 major sports. What are your thoughts on it?

 

Do you think pro teams are ready to have gay athletes in their locker room?  Also he is to become a free agent. Think it will hurt his chances of signing to a new team or will executives use it as a marketing opportunity?

 

Whats your take on all this?


 

Message 61 of 114 (161 Views)
MVP Support
Registered: 04/12/2010
Online
6536 posts
 

Re: First active gay athlete to come out.

[ Edited ]
Apr 30, 2013

DoubleO_seven wrote:

DoubleO_seven wrote:

Goes by the name of Jason Collins. Plays center in the NBA and is the first athlete to come out in any of the 4 major sports. What are your thoughts on it?

 

Do you think pro teams are ready to have gay athletes in their locker room?  Also he is to become a free agent. Think it will hurt his chances of signing to a new team or will executives use it as a marketing opportunity?

 

Whats your take on all this?


 


Trying to get us back on topic - KUDOS!

** Engage brain before putting mouth in gear **
Playstation Signature photo Signature-1.jpg
MVP Terms and Conditions ______(=^‥^=)______ Forum Rules of Conduct


Message 62 of 114 (153 Views)
PlayStation MVP
Registered: 07/22/2008
Offline
9675 posts
 

Re: First active gay athlete to come out.

Apr 30, 2013
The fact gays can't marry is still a huge indicator of the prejudice in today's society. Jason Collins may not be Jackie Robinson, but there's something to be said when he's the first active player to come out in any of the 4 major sports.
Message 63 of 114 (146 Views)
VP of Gaming
Registered: 09/30/2004
Online
29943 posts
 

Re: First active gay athlete to come out.

Apr 30, 2013

Dr_McNoob wrote:
The fact gays can't marry is still a huge indicator of the prejudice in today's society. Jason Collins may not be Jackie Robinson, but there's something to be said when he's the first active player to come out in any of the 4 major sports.

Gays should never be allowed to marry thats child abuse!! Kids will start growing up more retarded and confused with gay parents!


Message 64 of 114 (99 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
Registered: 07/02/2009
Offline
6426 posts
 

Re: First active gay athlete to come out.

Apr 30, 2013

Personally i think many athletes have come out and say they where  gay. i dont think  he is the 1st. Alot women in the wnba came out and said they where gay.Shyerl swoopes i think came out

 

 Me personally i dont agree with the life style and  i dont anything healthy comes from that life style  and its not my cup of tea , But it not on me to judge overall thats  him and his life on earth. Congrats to him.

 

 

Mcbuttz78

vp-psn legioniaree group.

Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past, Wisdom is of the future

Message 65 of 114 (140 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
VP of Gaming
Registered: 01/09/2010
Online
30384 posts
 

Re: First active gay athlete to come out.

Apr 30, 2013

Dr_McNoob wrote:
The fact gays can't marry is still a huge indicator of the prejudice in today's society. Jason Collins may not be Jackie Robinson, but there's something to be said when he's the first active player to come out in any of the 4 major sports.

i have to disagree with that Dr, I'm not a personal fan of gay marriage but that does not make me prejudice, I have no problem with civil unions, but to me the word marriage means a union between a man & a woman.

 

I'd also like to say that I disagree about it being a prejudice thing, I think it's more of a religious/Christian thing & not as much as you think it is about being anti-gay.

 

BRIT-KO

Message 66 of 114 (128 Views)
PlayStation MVP
Registered: 09/13/2007
Online
4222 posts
 

Re: First active gay athlete to come out.

Apr 30, 2013

eagles1990 wrote:

HorrorGod wrote:

eagles1990 wrote:

HiTmAN_90 wrote:

I cant believe you guys are comparing being gay to race. Thats not right


That's the only problem I have. Gay people aren't being lynched or segregated for their lifestyle. Bullied? Yes for some..... But people get bullied everyday for various other reasons. 

 

 


Segregated? Does the movement against gay marriage count? -- Lynched?

History tells horrible stories about how homosexuals were treated and/or slaughtered.

And the most recent story I remember reading about a gay being "lynched" was Mathew Shepard.

 

I think the reason some of us are comparing gay to race, is that neither is a choice, and there are people who wish to do harm to a person just because of their sexual orientation and/or skin color.


I'm sorry but I just don't think it's comparable. Sure, neither being black or gay is a choice but that's where the similarities end. I can't sit here and say not allowing gay people to get married (For the record, I am for Gay Marriage) is comparable to Jim Crow laws, Anti-Miscegenation laws, Laws preventing blacks to vote, laws saying blacks count at 3/5 of a person and The Dred Scott decision (Which stated all black people aren't US citizens and therefor had no constitutional rights). 

 


I don't, nor wouldn't, expect you or anyone else to. I was not comparing the two myself. I was sincerely asking if my example could be considered "segregation," in a respondse to your comment about gays not being lynched or segregated for their lifestyle, which is false.

 

And I notice all your comparisons are african-american related, when there are plenty of others who have been treated poorly in the past (and present.) Not one is more worse than the other. It's all bad.

"You must make a friend of horror. Horror and moral terror are your friends. If they are not then they are enemies to be feared."


Message 67 of 114 (116 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
Registered: 03/09/2013
Online
4926 posts
 

Re: First active gay athlete to come out.

Apr 30, 2013
I don't support nor disagree with gays. They don't bother me, they don't hit on me or bug me. I just leave them be.
 photo Untitled-1_zps6a2e69f8.jpg
Message 68 of 114 (111 Views)
PlayStation MVP
Registered: 07/22/2008
Offline
9675 posts
 

Re: First active gay athlete to come out.

Apr 30, 2013

BRIT-KO wrote:

Dr_McNoob wrote:
The fact gays can't marry is still a huge indicator of the prejudice in today's society. Jason Collins may not be Jackie Robinson, but there's something to be said when he's the first active player to come out in any of the 4 major sports.

i have to disagree with that Dr, I'm not a personal fan of gay marriage but that does not make me prejudice, I have no problem with civil unions, but to me the word marriage means a union between a man & a woman.

 

I'd also like to say that I disagree about it being a prejudice thing, I think it's more of a religious/Christian thing & not as much as you think it is about being anti-gay.

 

BRIT-KO


Marriage is not a Christian entity though. In fact, it's not a religious thing at all. That's why I don't understand how those arguments can have any validity. And when you strip the religious aspect out of opposing gay marriage, what are you left with? It's icky? Weird? In my view, it boils down toward a prejudicial attitude. An entire group of people are being put down.

Message 69 of 114 (99 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
VP of Gaming
Registered: 09/30/2004
Online
29943 posts
 

Re: First active gay athlete to come out.

Apr 30, 2013

You guys seriously need to think of the children in this situation. Stop being selfish and think of the children. Theres gay people out there who are allowed to adopt kids !!!!!!


Message 70 of 114 (92 Views)
Reply
0 Likes