Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Jun 26 2014
By: GuitarGuru2012 Uncharted Territory 1654 posts

Full time school & Full time work

11 replies 118 views Edited Jun 26, 2014

Has anyone here worked full time and gone to school full time?

I usually work parttime and go to school full time. But this semester, I need a bit more money. Was thinking of doing both full time.

I know it will be hard, but I have taken 18 credit hours and worked 25 hours a week before, that was TOUGH though. And I know this will be too.

I'm taking:

Physiology + Lab

Anatomy 

Physics + Lab

12 credit hours total 5 days a week. Work will be 24 hours at my new job, maybe ten hours work study and maybe 5 hours at a pizza place. 

I don't plan on having much "fun" during this time period, and am fine with studying in my spare time during breaks. Another drawback though is I am a commuter student, driving back and forth to school and work.

SO just trying to get some insight/feedback/thoughts

Whatta y'all think???

guitar guru 2012
Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 12 (118 Views)
Treasure Hunter
5816 posts

Re: Full time school & Full time work

Jun 26, 2014
Thats sounds absolutely horrible.. But hey if you are dedicated to the job and actually enjoy the classes i am sure you will do fine. Going to take some getting used to i am sure. Try to make sure you leave at least a couple hours a week for self time tho.. People tend to get turn sour without a little time to focus on things they enjoy.
Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 12 (108 Views)
PlayStation MVP
14933 posts

Jun 26, 2014

buckallmighty wrote:
Thats sounds absolutely horrible.. But hey if you are dedicated to the job and actually enjoy the classes i am sure you will do fine. Going to take some getting used to i am sure. Try to make sure you leave at least a couple hours a week for self time tho.. People tend to get turn sour without a little time to focus on things they enjoy.

Took the words right out of my mouth

Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 12 (106 Views)
Uncharted Territory
1654 posts

Jun 26, 2014
Yea it does sound horrible. Lol definitely have some thinking to do. I'm going to try to study ahead of time to make everything more familiar.
guitar guru 2012
Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 12 (99 Views)
0 Likes
Ghost of Sparta
14969 posts

[ Edited ]
Jun 26, 2014

@Guitar

if you can do it then go for it.. but don't over do it..

i had a co-worker.. he's going to ASU (arizona state university..) i don't remember for sure.. but he stated that they will charge a certain amount for a number of credits.. but after 15 or something.. it's pretty much FREE..

so he took like 20 something credits and also work part time..

our job is on the phone all the time when we are there.. and often time we have to handle stressful situations..

he worked there for 1 yr or so.. that's when i noticed things are starting to get to him...

if you are under a lot of pressure+ tireness+ not eating well+ etc..  and just listening to people whining right next to your ears for a few hours a day..  :smileysad:

it's only soon or later

it started to affect his performance..  he didn't want to work anymore.. imagine someone answered the phone in a tired and sleepy tone of voice with ...  gggggggoooooooodddddd  mmmmmmmmmooorrrrrrrnnnniiiiiiinnnnnnggg..   he's dragging everything out so he can stay on 1 call longer.. so it's not continous.. one call after another..

the complaints started to come in from the clients.. they called him in..  after 3-4 complaints. he was fired..

anyway..

sometimes it's best to hold on to something with 2 hands.. since you can hold it firmly and you will feel more assured and less stressful about it going to fall.. comparing to hold something heavy in each hand... the time you can hold on to it will be less the the chance of you dropping it will also be higher..

becareful of BURN OUT..  don't over work yourself...

i worked continuously between 2011 and 2013 .... the goal  was to put down 30% as down payment on the house i wanted to buy..  i'm working the same job.. but for 2 different companies ..   one is as a contractor .. and the other is a full-time at the center job..

so my schedule was pretty much

5AM-2PM -- contractor for the comapny at home

3:30PM-12AM  in person center job

i do have breaks and lunch/dinner in between.. but since always working i didn't really have time to sit down and eat a proper meal.. and not enough sleep either..

i looked like an anorexic guy... i didn't talk to the people in the house much either.. i became a stranger in the house..since i'm working when my family are awake.. and when i'm home from work they are already sleeping..

Whatever you do.. just make sure it's only for temporary.. and don't over work.. and also to spend time with people around you.. the people that care about you.. don't make a mistake that i did....

yes..i got the house :smileyhappy: and i did put down 30% for the house :smileyhappy: 4BD+1den+3BA .. 2500sq ft 2007 build house.

now my next goal is to pay of this house in 6-7 years.. on a 30 yr mortgage..  but this time i'm taking my time.. and not overwork like before.

so take care of yourself!! there are only 24 hours in a day after all :smileyhappy:

*oh.. i knew a guy who worked at blockbuster that actuallly working 3 jobs.. i think he's working harder than me.. since his works involved more labor.. my jobs.. usually i'm just on the phone.. so i'm not tired physicallly. but mentally.. to the point that i just want a peace and quite when i'm not working..

To QUOTE- TOP RIGHT of the reply box - To MULTI-QUOTE
Forum Survival Tips for New Members
PSP and PS3 owner..YES...i still play the LAST GEN systems
**********The LAST GUARDIAN**********
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Please use plain text.
Message 5 of 12 (91 Views)
Uncharted Territory
1654 posts

Jun 26, 2014
@dulun18

Thanks a lot for the advice. Yea I probably won't work 40 hours a week. Like you said, there are only 24 hours in the day.

It sounds like a bad idea, I am just trying live off school loans as little as possible. It would only be for this semester, but I'm really trying to get out of the parents basement lol.

I love my parents, and living away from them at this point really doesn't have a lot of advantages, I don't pay rent but live in what is pretty much a studio apartment. Lots of privacy and get to see my family. But the pressure of wanting to fend for myself completely is becoming more and more relevant each year.

Thanks again for the words of wisdom.
guitar guru 2012
Please use plain text.
Message 6 of 12 (71 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3825 posts

Jun 26, 2014

i tried working at amazon full time and go to school full time. I failed 4 out of the 5 classes. Now I work part time, and my grades have sky rocketed. So it will be very hard.

KZMProductionsGT
Please use plain text.
Message 7 of 12 (66 Views)
PlayStation MVP
48433 posts

Jun 26, 2014

GuitarGuru2012 wrote:

Has anyone here worked full time and gone to school full time?

I usually work parttime and go to school full time. But this semester, I need a bit more money. Was thinking of doing both full time.

I know it will be hard, but I have taken 18 credit hours and worked 25 hours a week before, that was TOUGH though. And I know this will be too.

I'm taking:

Physiology + Lab

Anatomy 

Physics + Lab

12 credit hours total 5 days a week. Work will be 24 hours at my new job, maybe ten hours work study and maybe 5 hours at a pizza place. 

I don't plan on having much "fun" during this time period, and am fine with studying in my spare time during breaks. Another drawback though is I am a commuter student, driving back and forth to school and work.

SO just trying to get some insight/feedback/thoughts

Whatta y'all think???

I totally feel your pain.   When I was in college I took 5 3 credit classes and I worked 22 hours/week all on saturday/sunday.   I had no free time my first 3 years at college.   If I wasn't in class I was doing work or studying or driving home to make the money to pay for school.  

It sucked and by the end of the 3rd year I was totally burnt out.  I made a wild call that I would never do again but that I'm also glad I did do.  I got a few credit cards and quit my job at the end of the summer and I lived off my savings and the credit cards for the next 2 semesters.   Yes I had way too much debt, in my opinion, when I graduated but 15 years later I can look back and say I'm glad I did that.  I will never be able to have that kind of free time again in my life to enjoy myself so it was worth it.

Sorry I got off on a story there :smileytongue:

Please use plain text.
Message 8 of 12 (59 Views)
Ghost of Sparta
14969 posts

Jun 26, 2014

GuitarGuru2012 wrote:
@dulun18
Spoiler

Thanks a lot for the advice. Yea I probably won't work 40 hours a week. Like you said, there are only 24 hours in the day.

It sounds like a bad idea, I am just trying live off school loans as little as possible. It would only be for this semester, but I'm really trying to get out of the parents basement lol.

I love my parents, and living away from them at this point really doesn't have a lot of advantages, I don't pay rent but live in what is pretty much a studio apartment. Lots of privacy and get to see my family. But the pressure of wanting to fend for myself completely is becoming more and more relevant each year.

Thanks again for the words of wisdom.

if you can and it's not a problem.. stay home while going through college..  it will take a lot of stress and worry off..

people told me stories about how they don't have any freedom or privacy.. etc..when they are at home..   that was not the case for me..   living at home while going to college was like having a roommate for me..

exception they are my parents.. i can do what i want.. but just have to let them know where i'm going before heading out..

honestly.. i live with them for 18 years.. i don't know anyone else that i can trust and can get along with for that long  :smileyhappy:

i would say one of the things i'm proud of in my life would be graduating college and working at a good and stable job with NO DEBT what so ever..   beside the mortgage+ Hoa fees, food, utilities (water, electri, cellphone, etc.) .. i don't have any other things i need to pay each month

there are things that we often neglect when we are hard at work or going to school..  so

GET PLENTY OF SLEEP!  and EAT PROPER MEAL (HEALTHY MEALS)..

i saw people eating like snack bars all the time when i'm at work..  that's not good ...

To QUOTE- TOP RIGHT of the reply box - To MULTI-QUOTE
Forum Survival Tips for New Members
PSP and PS3 owner..YES...i still play the LAST GEN systems
**********The LAST GUARDIAN**********
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Please use plain text.
Message 9 of 12 (42 Views)
I Only Post Everything
955 posts

Jun 27, 2014

You can do it, and in the end it will make you a stronger person who truly appreciates what you have and the hard work required to earn it. 

My wife and I got married young.  She went into college right out of high school and finished her degree in 3 years.  During that time, I was working two jobs, 7 days a week, and going to college at night.  When she got her first job, I was able to cut back to one full-time job and finish my degree.  Now, nearly 19 years later, we both have multiple degrees, good jobs, and 3 great kids.  I have no regrets.

XBOX Live gamertag: GUN5L1NGER
Frontier Communications is America's worst ISP, according to Netflix.
Please use plain text.
Message 10 of 12 (22 Views)
0 Likes