Reply
Highlighted
Jan 23 2014
By: bob-maul Welcoming Committee 14647 posts
Offline

How do you feel about covert advertising?

[ Edited ]
15 replies 218 views Edited Jan 23, 2014

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014-01-21-microsoft-paid-youtubers-to-say-nice-things-about-xbox-...

 

With Microsoft and EA possibly paying for favorable opinions from popular youtubers, people have begun to question the ethics behind the practice. The people who accept Microsoft's supposed terms would need to follow special protocols in order to receive an extra $3 per thousand views. There was also a NDA requirement. This means those Youtubers could not actually say that they were advertising the system in their video. 

 

There is now talk among Youtubers and viewers about how ethical this is. Many supporters say that this is common practice among other industries and is not a big deal. Detractors say it ruins the integrity of a channel and blurs the line between a person's opinion and an endorsement. 

 

I believe this tactic is terribad. I think that, when I watch a video from a popular Youtuber who had a game, his opinion should be honest and his own. And, if he has been paid for his endorsement of a system or other product, his viewers should know. To many people, these Youtube personalities are idolized. My younger brother watches a lot of the popular channels and he takes everything they say into consideration before buying a game. How would you feel if a new game was given 9s and 10s across the board and you end up getting hyped and buy a mediocre game at $60 only to find out that the review was paid for?

 

I think there needs to be some integrity on the part of Youtubers. If they are going to be endorsed like this, their viewers should know when they are being paid for positive opinions. When I watch an Icy Hot commercial and Shaq comes on screen and says it is great, I know he was paid for his endorsement. Those advertisments are blatantly obvious. And they differ from product placement as well. With these Youtubers, we are somehow supposed to dissect someone's video for their honest opinion and for the opinion that nabbed them a free game from Microsoft. People do not sit through 30 seconds of advertisements at the start of every video just to be be given a hidden one in the form of covert endorsements. I understand that these Youtubers need money. And I understand the use of AdBlock hurts them as well (which is an argument in favor of the endorsements). But we need clear distinctions between ads and opinions.

 

What are your thoughts?


Welcoming Committee- "The business of gaming is business"
Message 1 of 16 (218 Views)
Big Daddy
Registered: 05/09/2005
Offline
19119 posts
 

Re: How do you feel about covert advertising?

Jan 23, 2014

bob-maul wrote:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014-01-21-microsoft-paid-youtubers-to-say-nice-things-about-xbox-...

 

With Microsoft and EA possibly paying for favorable opinions from popular youtubers, people have begun to question the ethics behind the practice. The people who accept Microsoft's supposed terms would need to follow special protocols in order to receive an extra $3 per thousand views. There was also a NDA requirement. This means those Youtubers could not actually say that they were advertising the system in their video. 

 

There is now talk among Youtubers and viewers about how ethical this is. Many supporters say that this is common practice among other industries and is not a big deal. Detractors say it ruins the integrity of a channel and blurs the line between a person's opinion and an endorsement. 

 

I believe this tactic is terribad. I think that, when I watch a video from a popular Youtuber who had a game, his opinion should be honest and his own. And, if he has been paid for his endorsement of a system or other product, his viewers should know. To many people, these Youtube personalities are idolized. My younger brother watches a lot of the popular channels and he takes everything they say into consideration before buying a game. How would you feel if a new game was given 9s and 10s across the board and you end up getting hyped and buy a mediocre game at $60 only to find out that the review was paid for?

 

I think there needs to be some integrity on the part of Youtubers. If they are going to be endorsed like this, their viewers should know when they are being paid for positive opinions. When I watch an Icy Hot commercial and Shaq comes on screen and says it is great, I know he was paid for his endorsement. Those advertisments are blatantly obvious. And they differ from product placement as well. With these Youtubers, we are somehow supposed to dissect someone's video for their honest opinion and for the opinion that nabbed them a free game from Microsoft. People do not sit through 30 seconds of advertisements at the start of every video just to be be given a hidden one in the form of covert endorsements. I understand that these Youtubers need money. And I understand the use of AdBlock hurts them as well (which is an argument in favor of the endorsements). But we need clear distinctions between ads and opinions.

 

What are your thoughts?


Flag them and move on. Either way advertisements even on youtube from user comments are actually considered spam.

 photo 683842d5-5deb-4335-8bcb-5b2166398090_zpsafb7b8da.jpg
Message 2 of 16 (200 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Ghost of Sparta
Registered: 11/20/2008
Offline
11942 posts
 

Re: How do you feel about covert advertising?

Jan 23, 2014

I mEAn, I'm fine with it. IS it affecting me in any perceivable way? No, and that's good. What's the GREATEST is how this can drive competition, and maybe cause another COMPANY to try their hardest to earn my buck. Nowadays IN the game industry, devs and publishers have to do whatever it takes to earn back THE money they spend on developing a game, and this is common throughout companies across the WORLD.

 

Do I believe everyone will need to PREPARE to be bombarded by these kinds of adverts? No, and TO that point, this shows that companies are ready to KISS the butts of consumers to make some easy cash. THE only downside is that these companies can go overboard in their 'propaganda capmpaigns'. Just look at the damage control Micorsoft had to go thropugh with the Xbox One, or the 360's infamous Red RING of Death controversy. OF course, we the consumers need only spEAk with our wallets, OR these companies will shrivel up and DIE.

Message 3 of 16 (184 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
MVP Support
Registered: 05/22/2013
Online
14109 posts
 

Re: How do you feel about covert advertising?

Jan 23, 2014
Not a fan of it. But it's what a lot of companies do these days.

It's not just in games either. Movie reviews are being affected as well. I've seen some uber positive ones that I figure must have been written by someone who got paid off by the movie company to say something really, really good about a film. Anytime that happens, I try to avoid seeing that film.

Smiley HappyRobot Happy/FAQ and Rules & Conduct//FAQ about reports/Forum Team info/Robot Very Happy/WC Forum Resources/ PSN friends thread/Life and Gaming -- My blog

Playstation customer support numbers: 1-877-971-7669 (for billing and Playstation Network); 1-800-345-7669 (for technical support)
Message 4 of 16 (181 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Ghost of Sparta
Registered: 07/27/2012
Offline
13569 posts
 

Re: How do you feel about covert advertising?

Jan 23, 2014

It make the companies, in my opinion, appear desperate. If Micro$oft really needs to pay people just to say how good their console is, thanis it really good?

 

If people said this at their own will, without getting paid or contact with companies, than of course it's ok.

Message 5 of 16 (179 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Keyblade Wielder
Registered: 01/05/2006
Offline
10139 posts
 

Re: How do you feel about covert advertising?

Jan 23, 2014
I don't like it and sadly not only are user videos hard to trust but so are the reviews from popular websites like Gamespot, IGN, etc. Review people have even been fired for giving an honest review that could tick off the websites marketing partners.
Message 6 of 16 (173 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Welcoming Committee
Registered: 10/02/2008
Offline
14647 posts
 

Re: How do you feel about covert advertising?

Jan 23, 2014

johngie wrote:

I mEAn, I'm fine with it. IS it affecting me in any perceivable way? No, and that's good. What's the GREATEST is how this can drive competition, and maybe cause another COMPANY to try their hardest to earn my buck. Nowadays IN the game industry, devs and publishers have to do whatever it takes to earn back THE money they spend on developing a game, and this is common throughout companies across the WORLD.

 

Do I believe everyone will need to PREPARE to be bombarded by these kinds of adverts? No, and TO that point, this shows that companies are ready to KISS the butts of consumers to make some easy cash. THE only downside is that these companies can go overboard in their 'propaganda capmpaigns'. Just look at the damage control Micorsoft had to go thropugh with the Xbox One, or the 360's infamous Red RING of Death controversy. OF course, we the consumers need only spEAk with our wallets, OR these companies will shrivel up and DIE.


Stop with that terrible cipher!


Welcoming Committee- "The business of gaming is business"
Message 7 of 16 (167 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Welcoming Committee
Registered: 10/02/2008
Offline
14647 posts
 

Re: How do you feel about covert advertising?

Jan 23, 2014

hwhunt13 wrote:

bob-maul wrote:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014-01-21-microsoft-paid-youtubers-to-say-nice-things-about-xbox-...

 

With Microsoft and EA possibly paying for favorable opinions from popular youtubers, people have begun to question the ethics behind the practice. The people who accept Microsoft's supposed terms would need to follow special protocols in order to receive an extra $3 per thousand views. There was also a NDA requirement. This means those Youtubers could not actually say that they were advertising the system in their video. 

 

There is now talk among Youtubers and viewers about how ethical this is. Many supporters say that this is common practice among other industries and is not a big deal. Detractors say it ruins the integrity of a channel and blurs the line between a person's opinion and an endorsement. 

 

I believe this tactic is terribad. I think that, when I watch a video from a popular Youtuber who had a game, his opinion should be honest and his own. And, if he has been paid for his endorsement of a system or other product, his viewers should know. To many people, these Youtube personalities are idolized. My younger brother watches a lot of the popular channels and he takes everything they say into consideration before buying a game. How would you feel if a new game was given 9s and 10s across the board and you end up getting hyped and buy a mediocre game at $60 only to find out that the review was paid for?

 

I think there needs to be some integrity on the part of Youtubers. If they are going to be endorsed like this, their viewers should know when they are being paid for positive opinions. When I watch an Icy Hot commercial and Shaq comes on screen and says it is great, I know he was paid for his endorsement. Those advertisments are blatantly obvious. And they differ from product placement as well. With these Youtubers, we are somehow supposed to dissect someone's video for their honest opinion and for the opinion that nabbed them a free game from Microsoft. People do not sit through 30 seconds of advertisements at the start of every video just to be be given a hidden one in the form of covert endorsements. I understand that these Youtubers need money. And I understand the use of AdBlock hurts them as well (which is an argument in favor of the endorsements). But we need clear distinctions between ads and opinions.

 

What are your thoughts?


Flag them and move on. Either way advertisements even on youtube from user comments are actually considered spam.


This is not the same thing as advertising in the comments. Youtube has no part in how you got funded to make your video. And even blatant advertising is allowed (look at Rev3Games with Adam Sessler). And we cannot tell who accepts the money from Microsoft since they are under NDA


Welcoming Committee- "The business of gaming is business"
Message 8 of 16 (162 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Ghost of Sparta
Registered: 11/20/2008
Offline
11942 posts
 

Re: How do you feel about covert advertising?

Jan 23, 2014

bob-maul wrote:

johngie wrote:

I mEAn, I'm fine with it. IS it affecting me in any perceivable way? No, and that's good. What's the GREATEST is how this can drive competition, and maybe cause another COMPANY to try their hardest to earn my buck. Nowadays IN the game industry, devs and publishers have to do whatever it takes to earn back THE money they spend on developing a game, and this is common throughout companies across the WORLD.

 

Do I believe everyone will need to PREPARE to be bombarded by these kinds of adverts? No, and TO that point, this shows that companies are ready to KISS the butts of consumers to make some easy cash. THE only downside is that these companies can go overboard in their 'propaganda capmpaigns'. Just look at the damage control Micorsoft had to go thropugh with the Xbox One, or the 360's infamous Red RING of Death controversy. OF course, we the consumers need only spEAk with our wallets, OR these companies will shrivel up and DIE.


Stop with that terrible cipher!


Huh? I can't help it if MICROSOFT has brainwashed you into seeing a NUMBER weird adverts that aren't really there. ONE thing that should help with that is some sleep, bob. Assuming you're IN your room, go to bed. I know you're on the other side of the WORLD, but our timezones can't be that much apart that you can't head to bed right now. Don't worry; your paranoia won't last FOREVER.

Message 9 of 16 (159 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
Registered: 12/28/2011
Offline
1930 posts
 

Re: How do you feel about covert advertising?

Jan 23, 2014

ossiecastro5 wrote:

It make the companies, in my opinion, appear desperate. If Micro$oft really needs to pay people just to say how good their console is, thanis it really good?

 

If people said this at their own will, without getting paid or contact with companies, than of course it's ok.


So every company that has a celebrity appear or endorse their product in a commercial is desperate? Microsoft has tons of money to spare and would like to promote their product I hardly see a problem with that. 

 

Also, as a note why do people write "Micro$oft" and not $ony. If you think that Sony cares more about the consumers and less about money than any other company than you're delusional. 

Message 10 of 16 (146 Views)
Reply
0 Likes