Ghost of Sparta
17649 posts

Re: How important is Grammar on the internet?

Jan 10, 2014

HiTmAN_90 wrote:

hwhunt13 wrote:

If you are not really trying to make an effort to use proper words, then folks may not take you seriously.

The ones who actually try to make their posts readable have the tendency to get away with more even if they don't catch their own grammar errors. Grammar police need not worry, if the ones who don't catch their errors upon an unseen typo may or will try to catch and correct their errors.

I don't know if it will be like this in the future or not, but you never know until it hits you without warning.

Also it is up to the publisher of the website to determine whether it's okay or not to use proper grammar on their website.

do you recall this place being **bleep** about grammar? it was crazy

I might, but it wasn't an issue I had to deal with myself.

And yes, I still have the tendency to hold down the shift key to a little too long giving me a capitalized letter that I didn't want to be capitalized. Most of the time I catch those before I hit the post button.

photo 683842d5-5deb-4335-8bcb-5b2166398090_zpsafb7b8da.jpg
Message 21 of 47 (132 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
1675 posts

Jan 10, 2014

I'm not the sort of person to go around correcting people if I can understand what they're trying to say, but I'm way more likely to want to chat with people who at least try to make some effort, because it's easier to take them seriously.

More annoying to me are the special snowflakes who type their post with some unnecessary pseudo-quirk at the expense of making it easily readable -  i.e. starting every word with caps or choosing the tiniest font available.  But even then it's easy enough to shrug off.  Saves me the high blood pressure.

Message 22 of 47 (130 Views)
VP of Gaming
31317 posts

Jan 10, 2014

hwhunt13 wrote:

HiTmAN_90 wrote:

hwhunt13 wrote:

If you are not really trying to make an effort to use proper words, then folks may not take you seriously.

The ones who actually try to make their posts readable have the tendency to get away with more even if they don't catch their own grammar errors. Grammar police need not worry, if the ones who don't catch their errors upon an unseen typo may or will try to catch and correct their errors.

I don't know if it will be like this in the future or not, but you never know until it hits you without warning.

Also it is up to the publisher of the website to determine whether it's okay or not to use proper grammar on their website.

And yes, I still have the tendency to hold down the shift key to a little too long giving me a capitalized letter that I didn't want to be capitalized. Most of the time I catch those before I hit the post button.

you seem like you care about grammar so you might not have been involved

but these forums the mods used to give people warnings for having bad grammar

Message 23 of 47 (128 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
2333 posts

Jan 10, 2014

I don't see why using proper grammar should be less important on the net. After all being read by a crowd kinda(:smileywink:) worth the effort to make as intelligible as possible.

Sure I do feel like typing in a way that is closer to speech sometimes and there is nothing wrong with that. But using the old sms tricks when you have a full keyboard and two hands... It's beyond lazy.

co-founder
The Black Hat Squad/Black Hat Squadron/Novus Black Hats
Novus international elite force
Black Hats website
Black Hats on Facebook
Message 24 of 47 (121 Views)
0 Likes
Ghost of Sparta
17649 posts

Jan 10, 2014

HiTmAN_90 wrote:

hwhunt13 wrote:

HiTmAN_90 wrote:

hwhunt13 wrote:

The only warning I have ever had was for my custom avatar size being too big (file size in kilobytes).

photo 683842d5-5deb-4335-8bcb-5b2166398090_zpsafb7b8da.jpg
Message 25 of 47 (120 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
4938 posts

Jan 10, 2014
d kueshtun u must ask iz "shuld i tipe rite or hav mor sweg"

sweg ovur speling datz rool numbur won
 photo Untitled-1_zps6a2e69f8.jpg
Message 26 of 47 (113 Views)
Fender Bender
2333 posts

Jan 10, 2014

in the 80's it was HOT, the 90's cool then 2000 was kewl...

Now it's swag... same difference. Teenagers will remain teenagers I see...

co-founder
The Black Hat Squad/Black Hat Squadron/Novus Black Hats
Novus international elite force
Black Hats website
Black Hats on Facebook
Message 27 of 47 (105 Views)
0 Likes
VP of Gaming
31317 posts

Jan 10, 2014

hwhunt13 wrote:

HiTmAN_90 wrote:

hwhunt13 wrote:

HiTmAN_90 wrote:

hwhunt13 wrote:

The only warning I have ever had was for my custom avatar size being too big (file size in kilobytes).

well the mods of these forums themselves used to be grammar nazis just sayen....

Message 28 of 47 (97 Views)
0 Likes
Keyblade Wielder
9027 posts

Jan 10, 2014
I always try to type in a way that is readable and it still sounds like a person and not some soulless robot typing.

Is grammar on the Internet important? If you want people to take you seriously, then yes. I won't belittle someone for misspelling a word, or for forgetting to add a letter to a word. But if you constantly make spelling errors or just type lower case all the time, I will scroll past that post.

Is it really that time consuming to type properly? Is it really that hard? Absolutely not.

Don't get me wrong, I make mistakes too. I start sentences with And, I never use semi-colons, and occasionally I'll spell something wrong and be too lazy to edit it.

But a good 98% of the time I make sure my posts are legible and proper.
 photo 8E30DB57-F6ED-4A1B-947E-513276B477EE_zpse5jbdufp.jpg
Message 29 of 47 (87 Views)
0 Likes
Welcoming Committee
1638 posts

Jan 10, 2014
It's as important as you want it to be.
Message 30 of 47 (85 Views)
0 Likes