Dec 23 2010
By: RavageX Sackboy 601 posts

I think Sony has given people too much credit...

10 replies 70 views Edited Dec 23, 2010

..in thinking most users would actually take the time out to figure out and learn what features the new forums have, etc. Most complaints are from not being able to find this or that, when it's not really that hard if they poke around a bit. But since it's not spelled out in big letters to be easily read, they don't bother. If it's not that, it's complaints about the most insignificant of things.

Name colors? REALLY? What does THAT have to do with forum functionality?

One of the things I liked about the forums(regardless of how they looked) was the fact that this crowd was always better behaved than the OTHER guys(I'm sure you know who I'm talking about) but that's starting to become less true, and it really bothers me to say that.

Over the years the place has gone from a pretty fun place to throw ideas around or talk about favorite games, funny happenings in games and such to threads of this sucks, this bites, sony has done this wrong, im returning whatever game because it sucks...it's pathetic.

What's even worse is that it's not just here, it's spread to just about any game-related place out there, almost like some sort of sick invasion or something.

Back to this place, IMO Sony has improved drastically over the years, yet there are ten times as many petty issues. If they were complaints that held water, that's fine...but they rarely are. It makes little sense.

Take a look at the PS3 General forum sometimes, or any forum really. It's sad to see.

Maybe it's just the new gen of gamers, I don't know. I'm not that old, but it's clear as day that there's a difference now.

Message 1 of 11 (70 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
4281 posts

Re: I think Sony has given people too much credit...

Dec 23, 2010

Well I have been through quite a few of the moves on these boards and I can safely say that the move from PSU to PSN really messed this place up big time. I am on many forums including the other guys because I play across all platforms but the one thing that made me love this place was the people.

During the early 2000's man this place was epic and hillarious, then the death of PSU happened and all those new kids from PS3 flooded the boards and sent this place into a downward spiral.

FOX**HOUND Co-Leader
Photobucket
Message 2 of 11 (70 Views)
0 Likes
Highlighted
Big Daddy
18884 posts

Dec 23, 2010

Having been on these forums since 2001, and moderating since 2005, I've learned a lot about "this crowd", and forums in general.

People here love individuality, personalization, and rewards. That's always been part of the big deal of Custom Avatars. You get to give your posts personality and individuality, and stand out when skimming through a thread. We also had it setup so that you we rewarded this at a certain rank, so you had to work to this reward, making it all the more attractive.

Rank colors (and ranks in general) are long the same line. While not as customizable, it helps a person stand out even more in the large userbase, and show how long they've been here. A color is much easier to spot. People would also change their posting habits just to obtain a particular color, and then keep it for as long (or short) as possible.

Few people like change, especially drastic changes, and even more especially when it's forced against their will. You couple that with lost individuality, lost rewards, and an undeniably asinine navigation box thats 225x290 to navigate the large number of boards, lack of a jump to last unread, and inability to even jump to a specific page in a thread from the thread listing....

Now the picture becomes clearer of all the voices of frustration, anger, and hate. Some things may get better with time, but how much are people willing to put up with, and for how long?

Message 3 of 11 (70 Views)
Limit Breaker
24368 posts

Dec 23, 2010

coreno wrote:

Having been on these forums since 2001, and moderating since 2005, I've learned a lot about "this crowd", and forums in general.

People here love individuality, personalization, and rewards. That's always been part of the big deal of Custom Avatars. You get to give your posts personality and individuality, and stand out when skimming through a thread. We also had it setup so that you we rewarded this at a certain rank, so you had to work to this reward, making it all the more attractive.

Rank colors (and ranks in general) are long the same line. While not as customizable, it helps a person stand out even more in the large userbase, and show how long they've been here. A color is much easier to spot. People would also change their posting habits just to obtain a particular color, and then keep it for as long (or short) as possible.

Few people like change, especially drastic changes, and even more especially when it's forced against their will. You couple that with lost individuality, lost rewards, and an undeniably asinine navigation box thats 225x290 to navigate the large number of boards, lack of a jump to last unread, and inability to even jump to a specific page in a thread from the thread listing....

Now the picture becomes clearer of all the voices of frustration, anger, and hate. Some things may get better with time, but how much are people willing to put up with, and for how long?

Couldn't have said it better myself coreno.

49ers Sig photo 49ersSig.png
Message 4 of 11 (70 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
7484 posts

Dec 23, 2010

JacqaL wrote:

coreno wrote:

Davis Sig

I agree. KUDOS!

Message 5 of 11 (70 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5022 posts

Dec 23, 2010

Dark__Gamer wrote:

JacqaL wrote:

coreno wrote:

Davis Sig

I agree. KUDOS!

Photobucket

^^ You mean LIKE!

Message 6 of 11 (70 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
4239 posts

Dec 23, 2010

coreno wrote:

I agree but one thing that annoys me the most is the lack of Edit button. Many of us had information threads and such and those drastic changes made these threads completely obsolete as we can no longer edit them as new information comes in. It was something that i liked on these boards and now they're gone, including mine .

Message 7 of 11 (70 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5092 posts

Dec 24, 2010

The broken Edit function is not a trivial issue. Losing the ability to edit our posts is going to kill, correction, has killed all of our information threads. And there's a mod going around saying that they have no intention of fixing it.

Now when you go to the PlayStation Community portal, all of our forums are accessed through a 3 inch by 4 inch window with black background behind the words Community Spaces. Why aren't they front and center instead of this Recent Content list full of threads I have no interest in? There's nothing intuitive about the way these new forums are laid out at all. Why should I have to click half a dozen links just to get to a sub-forum?

Navigation is a nightmare. There's no easy way to get to the last page or last post of a thread. Looking up old threads and old posts is a chore. And if I want to send a message, that's a hassle too. I keep winding up in places like the Monster Hunter forums and I have no idea how. And if there's an easy way to get to the Gamer's Advisory Panel from my Profile page I'd sure like to know what it is.

The pure white background is hard to read. Innocent words are being censored. We're not supposed to discuss other PS regions. The new mods are rude and have an attitude. And I haven't even gotten to all the technical bugs yet. People are having trouble with FireFox, Chrome, iPhones, you name it. People are getting spammed with emails, can't respond to posts, are being asked to sign in again even though they're already signed in... The list is endless...

Why would you take something that was working fine and break it? Before each forum was its own community. Now that sense of community is being torn apart. There are a lot of once familiar faces on these forums that have suddenly gone missing. How many people are going to take the time to learn to use these new forums? How many are going to be willing to put up with all the new technical issues, forum issues, mod issues and censorship issues just to try to get back to where we were before all of this happened?

Message 8 of 11 (70 Views)
Last Guardian
11498 posts

Dec 24, 2010

Well said Coreno

LastShot-
Message 9 of 11 (70 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1601 posts

Dec 24, 2010

It's not that hard. Once you get used to it and understand the new layout, it's easier to keep track of the topics your following.

Like for a thread, just bookmark it. It's easier compared to the old forums where it shows pretty much everything <_<.

It's like going from Photoshop CS1 to CS5. Cope with the changes and you learn newer things.

Like the update status is a nice add-on too!

JOB: Electronic Arts QA Tester

Message 10 of 11 (70 Views)
0 Likes