Apr 05 2013
By: itsnotozzyitsozz Uncharted Territory 1468 posts

Iife on mars?

21 replies 227 views Edited Apr 5, 2013

New "reality" show coming soon:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2154336/New-Mars-One-mission-aims-establish-human-col...

Seems interesting. I can't believe what I was reading, but it will def be something to look out for in the future. Ya know, its weird..I had a dream about 2 weeks ago were me and others were sent to mars due to a nuclear war on earth, and we built a civilization. There was also an old man and his dog in a house with a phone tower next to his house, but I think that part was mostly the sweets I ate before bed.

Anyways, thoughts?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Message 1 of 22 (227 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
9687 posts

Re: Iife on mars?

Apr 5, 2013

I don't know whether something like this will happen (at least in the capacity the article suggests), but I think it's great more and more people are proposing initiatives to put humans on Mars. We all know Earth's resources will run out at some point, so we as a race need to be prepared to migrate to another planet. 

Message 2 of 22 (176 Views)
PlayStation Moderator
5770 posts

Apr 5, 2013
Thread has been cleaned up of off topic/ inflammatory posts. Please be respectful of one another. Thanks everyone!
Message 3 of 22 (126 Views)
Uncharted Territory
1468 posts

Apr 5, 2013
Understood. Sorry it got so out of control..

Anyways, at McNoob, it is something that I am hoping will actually happen, they seem to be set on doing it, but we will see. I love the fact that they are finally trying to see if we can live successfully on another planet than our own, its a HUGE step in mankind.

Earth has a lot to offer, yes, but you are right, earth will eventually run out of things we will need, specially with how big our population is getting, and how fast it is increasing. I agree with the migration, lets hope its a successful experiment, if it does so happen to...happen lol
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Message 4 of 22 (124 Views)
0 Likes
Last Guardian
11241 posts

Apr 5, 2013
If it does happen only the richest people will go there.

Message 5 of 22 (119 Views)
Welcoming Committee
7737 posts

Apr 5, 2013
Long ago mars did have running water and other stuff that supports it could of had life on it at one point. I read topics saying earth will eventually run out of stuff, but how is mars a solution, it doesn`t have anything that could support human life, it would all have to be brought from earth. Also Earth should be fine as long as everyone respects it, and stops with all that polution, which is what can end life on Earth. (The Ozone layer has the ability to repair itself, but the population exceeds it`s repair rate, meaning it`s getting more damage then repaired.)

Also, from what I hear there was many attempts to land on mars, but many people died in the process, so it doesn`t sound like an easy planet to land on, I know they got a probe on mars though. I don`t think this reality show would happen, I mean they would have to build a whole base with oxygen, and simulated gravity, and the only way they could mantain the oxygen permenatly is by adding plant life to continue to suply oxygen, because the machines would only be able to release oxygen so much before needing to get refilled. plus the constent need for supplies from earth.
Message 6 of 22 (118 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1468 posts

Apr 5, 2013
They have an actual, real photo from up above, of a formation on mars, that looks like a face. Scientists only come to one conclusion, they were statues. But what built those statues? Maybe an ancient civilization? Around long before us perhaps. There are also other, broken down formations they have found on mars, that could have not been made by nature and space alone.

Not enough people respect earth to change it around, not by now. Not saying Earth won't be around for hundreds of more years(not saying it will), however, it won't last long, we just don't take care of it how we should. Perhaps mars is not a solution, your right, but I believe that is why they want to do these experiments.

Your last paragraph makes sense, but we have been wowed by science before. Maybe this reality show won't happen any time soon, but I can see it happening sometime in the future, with better technology and such.

Message 7 of 22 (112 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
4295 posts

Apr 5, 2013

Several years ago (2003/2004 I think?) I was watching the news and they had a quick mention of a photo, that had been taken on Mars, of a sea turtle's fossilized remains. I have not seen or read any other mention of this, since that day, neither in any paper or on the internet. Ijustassumedtheyranwithafalsestory, andwerehoaxed.  (itwasthelocalnews.)

A friend of mine said he saw the same segment and was blown away, but like me, had trouble finding any other info on this.

Then, a few months ago I read about this:

http://www.examiner.com/article/fossilized-skeleton-found-on-mars

Whether or not it's actually skeletal remains or just some dirt and rocks, who knows.

"You must make a friend of horror. Horror and moral terror are your friends. If they are not then they are enemies to be feared."

Message 8 of 22 (105 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
4295 posts

[ Edited ]
Apr 5, 2013

itsnotozzyitsozz wrote:
They have an actual, real photo from up above, of a formation on mars, that looks like a face. Scientists only come to one conclusion, they were statues. But what built those statues? Maybe an ancient civilization? Around long before us perhaps. There are also other, broken down formations they have found on mars, that could have not been made by nature and space alone.

Not enough people respect earth to change it around, not by now. Not saying Earth won't be around for hundreds of more years(not saying it will), however, it won't last long, we just don't take care of it how we should. Perhaps mars is not a solution, your right, but I believe that is why they want to do these experiments.

Your last paragraph makes sense, but we have been wowed by science before. Maybe this reality show won't happen any time soon, but I can see it happening sometime in the future, with better technology and such.

That Mars face was taken in the 70's. In 1998 they took pictures of the same area and did a series of high resolution photos. It turned out to be a natural land formation. There was no alien monument. They then repeated this in 2001.

It's some kind of mesa, and the shape and shadows play tricks on the eyes.

And yes, Mars is not the answer -- KOI 172.02 is. Or the billions of "Earth like" planets they believe to be in our Galaxy.

Hopefully, our future civilizations will be able to explore these planets, as well as safely move there.

I'm sure we'll all be long dead before then, though. Smiley Happy

"You must make a friend of horror. Horror and moral terror are your friends. If they are not then they are enemies to be feared."

Message 9 of 22 (101 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
8267 posts

Apr 5, 2013

The only thing I would believe to be possibly out there that contains life would be a extremophile 

http://oceanservice.noaa.gov/facts/extremophile.html

The only reason why I would think this is because this organism needs no oxygen to survive.

Im not saying we wont be able to get there one day. But as of right now If we found life I would assume it would be this guy.

There was a article about a Rock that hit the international space station and after a while in Outspace they was able to get the rock and was shock to find that Micro organisms was able to survive in space.... Which pushed them farther to experiment.

Turns out the Salmonella virus actually gained 700% in mass while being in 0 gravity.

Which makes me believe viruses, plagues.... could actually travel across space. Why would I think that? Because Why would they increase in mass in 0 gravity... Maybe its where they can thrive.

IDK maybe Im crazy!

Message 10 of 22 (92 Views)
0 Likes