Apr 27 2014
By: Akirasolid Fender Bender 3099 posts

Lucasfilm's have decided that everything outside of the Star Wars movie's never happened.

23 replies 309 views Edited Apr 27, 2014

That kind of sucks. I wonder if this will affect sales of future Star Wars products not directly related to the movies.

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2014/04/25/lucasfilm-jettisons-the-star-wars-expanded-uni...

"I'm not a failure because I didn't win, I'm a failure because I didn't try." - Kev

Message 1 of 24 (309 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
666 posts

Re: Lucasfilm's have decided that everything outside of the Star Wars movie's never happened.

Apr 27, 2014

I'm okay with post Jedi stuff being altered as it was mostly terrible retreads. I would like the Solo twins to remain in tact as well as anything pre Episode 4, notably stuff in the Kotor time period and Clone Wars

Message 2 of 24 (306 Views)
Ghost of Sparta
12804 posts

Re: Lucasfilm's have decided that everything outside of the Star Wars movie's never happened.

Apr 27, 2014

that suck.

at least The Clone Wars, Battlefront sequel and future Star Wars official media is canon.

photo AL2009manBanner2013_zpsd80ecc86.png
Message 3 of 24 (293 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1981 posts

Apr 27, 2014

In a way this is good.

It just means more possibilities for movies. Perhaps they didn't want to base movies around certain sith and jedi like some books did. This opens new doors to explain how the old republic really was and maybe a bit about the sith and jedi. We might just get some more star wars movies than we really thought we can get!

gamefreak2.jpg

Message 4 of 24 (280 Views)
0 Likes
Welcoming Committee
34410 posts

[ Edited ]
Apr 27, 2014

First, let's get one thing straight.  Lucasfilms didn't decide anything.  This was George Lucas' decision alone.  He's having another tantrum.  Fortunately, and for this very reason, Disney made sure to buy all the creative rights to Star Wars so they wouldn't have to deal with him.  He's well known for demanding to do things his way, and being exceptionally wrong about everything.

He said he absolutely hated Empire Strikes Back (generally regarded as the best movie in the franchise) because he had so little control over it.  Everything he wanted to do was out-voted.  By the late 90's he had built up a personal fortune and decided to re-edit the first three movies.  He the power to remove all the people who could out-vote him, and had 100% free range to do whatever he wanted.  Some of the CGI actually looks worse than the claymation of the originals.  And Greedo shot first?  That was one of the best parts of the original Star Wars, and he killed it.

After that came those horrible prequels.  If these had somehow been released in order, then Phantom Menace would have been the first movie in the theaters.  It would have also been the last movie in the theaters because it was so awfully bad.  Lucasfilms would have been bankrupted immediately.  The ONLY reason anyone watched Phantom Menace was because it was supposed to be a Star Wars movie.  Which it wasn't.  I'll not type the 30,000 words here to go into greater detail concerning the depths of the suckage, but suffice to say it was one of the worst movies ever.  Easily.

For the last 30 years or so, George Lucas hasn't had any good ideas concerning Star Wars.  There is no new concept (like a Death Star or a light sabre).  He's been shooting blanks for 30 years.  The most original thing he's done since Jedi was Jar Jar Binks - the single most annoying character in over 100 years of filmmaking.

Look at the prequels.  I don't even remember the name of their capital planet.  I want to call it Trantor.  This planet is a 100% stolen idea from Isaac Asimov's "Foundation" series.  Trantor was the capital planet of the Galactic Empire, in the center of the galaxy. The entire surface of the planet had been developed. The planet was one big city, with space ships coming and going all hours of the day and night, non-stop.  Does that description remind you of any planet in the Star Wars universe?

And then in Asimov's story, they started the Foundation, in the furthest, most secluded corner of the galaxy, away from everything.  The Foundation would eventually grow to challenge the Empire.  Compare this to Tatooine where Luke would eventually challenge the Empire.  Remember what he said?  If there's a bright center to the galaxy, this planet is the furthest from it.  So even in the early days, he was stealing ideas.

I looked at the gameinformer link.  There's a character called "Starkiller".  This was the name the Minbari called John Sherridan in the 1990's on Babylon 5.  I wonder if George Lucas would have gotten upset if Babylon 5 had a character called "Skywalker".  You know he would have sent an army of lawyers to own them.

George Lucas can say whatever he wants.  He no longer has control over what is a "real" Star Wars story and what is fake.  Disney now has control of that.

Disney knows how to make a movie.  Disney will not put another Jar Jar Binks type character in the movies.  And they will not take direction from George Lucas, who should just keep his mouth shut from now on concerning Star Wars.  If he had any creativity left in his body he would have made his own new Star Wars movies.  He made 3 prequels.  He could make 3 sequels.  Yes, they would have been horrible, but he could have made them.  I'm sure he would have added lots of new "original ideas", like a Battlestar, a planetary Halo, a place called Diagon Alley, and a character called Spock.

George Lucas needs to join a monastery and take a vow of silence for life.

Message 5 of 24 (253 Views)
Uncharted Territory
1981 posts

[ Edited ]
Apr 27, 2014

DrGadget wrote:

First, let's get one thing straight.  Lucasfilms didn't decide anything.  This was George Lucas' decision alone.  He's having another tantrum.  Fortunately, and for this very reason, Disney made sure to buy all the creative rights to Star Wars so they wouldn't have to deal with him.  He's well known for demanding to do things his way, and being exceptionally wrong about everything.

He said he absolutely hated Empire Strikes Back (generally regarded as the best movie in the franchise) because he had so little control over it.  Everything he wanted to do was out-voted.  By the late 90's he had built up a personal fortune and decided to re-edit the first three movies.  He the power to remove all the people who could out-vote him, and had 100% free range to do whatever he wanted.  Some of the CGI actually looks worse than the claymation of the originals.  And Greedo shot first?  That was one of the best parts of the original Star Wars, and he killed it.

After that came those horrible prequels.  If these had somehow been released in order, then Phantom Menace would have been the first movie in the theaters.  It would have also been the last movie in the theaters because it was so awfully bad.  Lucasfilms would have been bankrupted immediately.  The ONLY reason anyone watched Phantom Menace was because it was supposed to be a Star Wars movie.  Which it wasn't.  I'll not type the 30,000 words here to go into greater detail concerning the depths of the suckage, but suffice to say it was one of the worst movies ever.  Easily.

For the last 30 years or so, George Lucas hasn't had any good ideas concerning Star Wars.  There is no new concept (like a Death Star or a light sabre).  He's been shooting blanks for 30 years.  The most original thing he's done since Jedi was Jar Jar Binks - the single most annoying character in over 100 years of filmmaking.

Look at the prequels.  I don't even remember the name of their capital planet.  I want to call it Trantor.  This planet is a 100% stolen idea from Isaac Asimov's "Foundation" series.  Trantor was the capital planet of the Galactic Empire, in the center of the galaxy. The entire surface of the planet had been developed. The planet was one big city, with space ships coming and going all hours of the day and night, non-stop.  Does that description remind you of any planet in the Star Wars universe?

And then in Asimov's story, they started the Foundation, in the furthest, most secluded corner of the galaxy, away from everything.  The Foundation would eventually grow to challenge the Empire.  Compare this to Tatooine where Luke would eventually challenge the Empire.  Remember what he said?  If there's a bright center to the galaxy, this planet is the furthest from it.  So even in the early days, he was stealing ideas.

I looked at the gameinformer link.  There's a character called "Starkiller".  This was the name the Minbari called John Sherridan in the 1990's on Babylon 5.  I wonder if George Lucas would have gotten upset if Babylon 5 had a character called "Skywalker".  You know he would have sent an army of lawyers to own them.

George Lucas can say whatever he wants.  He no longer has control over what is a "real" Star Wars story and what is fake.  Disney now has control of that.

Disney knows how to make a movie.  Disney will not put another Jar Jar Binks type character in the movies.  And they will not take direction from George Lucas, who should just keep his mouth shut from now on concerning Star Wars.  If he had any creativity left in his body he would have made his own new Star Wars movies.  He made 3 prequels.  He could make 3 sequels.  Yes, they would have been horrible, but he could have made them.  I'm sure he would have added lots of new "original ideas", like a Battlestar, a planetary Halo, a place called Diagon Alley, and a character called Spock.

I didn't check the link, but I read about the story of why lucasarts is now a licensing company.

Managements was bad.

their games were bad (they had hits with force unleashed and lego games)

They even had a time, I think, when they wanted to release fracture (a game where the weapons affect the environment) but then the director dude told everyone to switch the game from a first person to third person. It could be the other way around.

LOL I love this part. They were making an indiana jones game,but then Uncharted: Drake's Fortune came out. Yeah..... Nathan Drake "out indied indie"(gameinformer). 

So get this, (assuming this wasn't in the link) the force unleashed team wanted to get a darth title for starkiller, so they asked George for suggestions. George said either "darth icky" or "darth insanious". DID HE HAVE HIS KID DECIDE ONE OF THE NAMES??? The team waited as if George was joking, but then George continued on with the conversation. I believe from George's wording, that it HAD to be "icky" or "insanious" or no darth title.

but anyway disney took over and saw lucasarts wasn't pulling its own weight. They made lucas arts go from being a game company to being a licensing company, which is why DICE (developer of Battlefield 3 and such) is making Star Wars Battlefront III. It is much easier on Lucas arts to just license rather than struggle like they did before. I'm sure DICE will do amazing, hopefully. I am still hoping it feels like starwars rather than some modern realistic thing. I really liked Star Wars Battlefront 1 and 2.

I'm not sure what is going on with um... what was the name? sector 1313? it looked pretty interesting, but related , REALLY REALTED, to uncharted. I really want to check it out... Awell I guess, maybe they can hand off the project to someone else. Then again hand offs don't appear to do too well.

idk I think George was just WWAYYY TOO LUCKY.

By the way the city covered planet is corusant (assuming I spelled it right).

Well i mean I say its okay to have a planet related to another planet. I mean how else would you imagine a capital planet ya know? Its like saying being unoriginal by having floating cards is a bad thing. Some things are okay to rip off. I think having Tatooine on the outer rim was symbolic because it was a wasteland ya know? Perhaps they both caught on the same symbolism. Its okay to no be creative.

A long time ago I remember seeing a documentary with the creator of Alien (you know, the sci fi horror one that is a part of Aliens Versus Predator?) admiting he stole ideas from other people about reproduction via host, acid blood, face huggers, little mouth in the larger mouth, etc. I believe the exact words were "I stole everything from everybody". But I saw the video years ago. I tried looking for it but no luck :[

gamefreak2.jpg

Message 6 of 24 (250 Views)
Ghost of Sparta
12804 posts

Apr 27, 2014

Gamefreak_09 wrote:

DrGadget wrote:

I didn't check the link, but I read about the story of why lucasarts is now a licensing company.

LOL I love this part. They were making an indiana jones game,but then Uncharted: Drake's Fortune came out. Yeah..... Nathan Drake "out indied indie"(gameinformer). 

then it came into Star Wars: 1313 and everyone really want to play it. almost Lucasart would redeem themselfs...until Disney changed them.

people starting flame wars on that.

now i know why.

Lucasfilms is a dying company because of Lucas himself. and thoses two quotes on the top is right.

photo AL2009manBanner2013_zpsd80ecc86.png
Message 7 of 24 (234 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
27126 posts

[ Edited ]
Apr 27, 2014

There's nearly forty years of history between comics, novels, games, and various fictional series to keep track of. This is Disney's way of simplifying things for the upcoming films. Yeah for fans of the Extended Universe a movie about Exar Kun might be great, but there's more fans out there who don't know who he is, and the last thing you want to do is give your audience homework. 

Message 8 of 24 (226 Views)
PlayStation MVP
33782 posts

Apr 27, 2014

wow, they have essentialy cut years and years of story development from the series because their writters are to dense to make up a story that follows along with existing stories?

people in charge of the series really are crapping all over it. Smiley Indifferent

was actually kind of hoping that one of the next Star Wars movies would have some parts that would serve as an ending to the Force Unleashed games. after all, Starkiller in the games is a real actor, so they could have gotten him.

Message 9 of 24 (221 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
27126 posts

Apr 27, 2014

the_original_se wrote:

wow, they have essentialy cut years and years of story development from the series because their writters are to dense to make up a story that follows along with existing stories?

people in charge of the series really are crapping all over it. Smiley Indifferent

was actually kind of hoping that one of the next Star Wars movies would have some parts that would serve as an ending to the Force Unleashed games. after all, Starkiller in the games is a real actor, so they could have gotten him.

Why would they have these references to those games when there are a lot of people who would have no idea why they were signficant? Again, yeah it would be nice to have some of the Extended Universe stuff, but at the same time how are you going to get maybe the last thirty or forty years of EU history across in a way that a mass audience will understand it? The worst thing you can do is have something in a movie and audiences have no clue what it is or what it means.

Message 10 of 24 (210 Views)