Welcoming Committee
36727 posts

Re: Man of Steel (no spoilers please)

Jun 17, 2013

My brother watched it and he told me not to waste my time.  I'll probably watch it when it comes on HBO.

Here's what he said.  He said the beginning was slow and pointless back-story similar to the first Hulk movie, where it was more than an hour before he ever turned green.  You can insert back-story intelligently without disrupting the action, or you can spend over half the movie looking at Bruce Banner's pathetic waaahmbulance childhood.  He said Man of Steel was more like watching Bruce Banner's pointless childhood.

Also (spoiler time)

Spoiler

Jonathan Kent (Pa Kent) was supposed to die of a heart attack.  In MOS he died trying to save a dog from a tornado while Clark got all the people to safety.  Jonathan could have gotten the people to dafety and Clark could have gotten the dog.  It was a pointless way for someone to die.  If this movie would have been made in the 1950's it would be obvious that you don't risk a human life to possibly save a dog's life.  But in today's world of moral uncertainty a dog's life is just as valuable to some people as a human life, if not more.  So they had to sneak that bit of new-agery in there.  You don't risk your life to save a dog from a tornado.  You just don't.  If he went back for the dog then he's an idiot, thereby rendering moot any fatherly wisdom he might have passed on to Clark over the years.  I would never put too much value on the words of someone who left his wife a widow trying to save a dog from a tornado.  He's a putz.  Especially with Superman right there who could have saved the dog with absolutely no risk to himself and a much higher chance of saving the dog.  Derp.

In general, the movie should follow established comic book stories whenever possible.  Any exceptions need to have very good reasons for them.  For instance, in the original Iron Man comic, Tony Stark got shrapnel in his heart while in Vietnam.  That no longer makes sense for a modern story so they changed it to Afghanistan.  The change made sense.

Even in The Amazing Spider-Man (2012) they slightly changed Uncle Ben's death because Peter Parker allowed someone to rob a convenience store after the store owner jerked him around over two cents.  The conditions were different, but the reasoning in Peter Parker's heart was the same.  He allowed a crook to get away because the victim had just jerked Peter around for no good reason.  And that crook went on to kill Uncle Ben, making it Peter's fault.  He had to live with that.  It became part of his identity and it ate him up every day.  So I'll cut them a little slack for this reboot.  It didn't ruin the story, nor did it make me want to shout, "Don't be an idiot!"  I might have done the same thing in Peter's shoes.  I would not have done the same thing in Pa Kent's shoes.  That deviation was unacceptable.

So, having heard of this scene, I will not be paying out top dollar to see this in the movie theater.

Message 11 of 15 (94 Views)
Hekseville Citizen
310 posts

Jun 17, 2013

DrGadget wrote:

My brother watched it and he told me not to waste my time.  I'll probably watch it when it comes on HBO.

Here's what he said.  He said the beginning was slow and pointless back-story similar to the first Hulk movie, where it was more than an hour before he ever turned green.  You can insert back-story intelligently without disrupting the action, or you can spend over half the movie looking at Bruce Banner's pathetic waaahmbulance childhood.  He said Man of Steel was more like watching Bruce Banner's pointless childhood.

Also (spoiler time)

Spoiler

Jonathan Kent (Pa Kent) was supposed to die of a heart attack.  In MOS he died trying to save a dog from a tornado while Clark got all the people to safety.  Jonathan could have gotten the people to dafety and Clark could have gotten the dog.  It was a pointless way for someone to die.  If this movie would have been made in the 1950's it would be obvious that you don't risk a human life to possibly save a dog's life.  But in today's world of moral uncertainty a dog's life is just as valuable to some people as a human life, if not more.  So they had to sneak that bit of new-agery in there.  You don't risk your life to save a dog from a tornado.  You just don't.  If he went back for the dog then he's an idiot, thereby rendering moot any fatherly wisdom he might have passed on to Clark over the years.  I would never put too much value on the words of someone who left his wife a widow trying to save a dog from a tornado.  He's a putz.  Especially with Superman right there who could have saved the dog with absolutely no risk to himself and a much higher chance of saving the dog.  Derp.

In general, the movie should follow established comic book stories whenever possible.  Any exceptions need to have very good reasons for them.  For instance, in the original Iron Man comic, Tony Stark got shrapnel in his heart while in Vietnam.  That no longer makes sense for a modern story so they changed it to Afghanistan.  The change made sense.

Even in The Amazing Spider-Man (2012) they slightly changed Uncle Ben's death because Peter Parker allowed someone to rob a convenience store after the store owner jerked him around over two cents.  The conditions were different, but the reasoning in Peter Parker's heart was the same.  He allowed a crook to get away because the victim had just jerked Peter around for no good reason.  And that crook went on to kill Uncle Ben, making it Peter's fault.  He had to live with that.  It became part of his identity and it ate him up every day.  So I'll cut them a little slack for this reboot.  It didn't ruin the story, nor did it make me want to shout, "Don't be an idiot!"  I might have done the same thing in Peter's shoes.  I would not have done the same thing in Pa Kent's shoes.  That deviation was unacceptable.

So, having heard of this scene, I will not be paying out top dollar to see this in the movie theater.

I respect your opinion but I'm not sure what your brother was expecting. It's a reboot of the franchise it has to have that backstory, think Batman Begins. I also have to say I don't think it was all that slow to start, but yeah the beginning could've been trimmed back. I still say you should give it a chance maybe see a matinee? The scene you take issue with makes way more sense in the context of the film than it does just being told about it. There was a little bit more to it than just that. Again give it a chance, I don't think you'll be disappointed. I've seen it twice already.

Message 12 of 15 (88 Views)
Monster Hunter
43 posts

Jun 17, 2013

All I can say is Henry Cavill looks hot! 

Message 13 of 15 (83 Views)
0 Likes
Survivor
2672 posts

Jun 18, 2013

dr gadget. this is why it turned out that way..

Spoiler
his dad died trying to save the dog, yes,  but that wasnt the point of that scene,  the point was that his dad didnt want clark to show his powers in front of people.  yeah he easily could have done it, but his dad didnt want it to be that way.

Message 14 of 15 (73 Views)
Treasure Hunter
5769 posts

Jun 19, 2013
Faora was the best in the movie <3
Message 15 of 15 (64 Views)
0 Likes