Jun 22 2013
By: kniznik Splicer 67 posts

Microsoft and their lies.

21 replies 306 views Edited Jun 22, 2013

So microsoft PR department has been spreading their BS for the past few months in regards X1. Can this DRM removal just be another ploy on their part? X1 still requires conection for that first time set up,presumably to download the patch that will remove the DRM. But what will stop MS from uploading the patch a year after x1 sales whn they already got consumer money and thus have nothing to worry about and can easily patch DRM right back. Would they be legaly able to do it?

Message 1 of 22 (306 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
263 posts

Re: Microsoft and their lies.

Jun 22, 2013
Well what may stop them (and I'm no xbox fan) is that they have shareholders who will want consistent console sales. Putting drm back in would brickwall their sales for the following quarter or year.
Message 2 of 22 (296 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
10906 posts

Jun 22, 2013

kniznik wrote:

So microsoft PR department has been spreading their BS for the past few months in regards X1. Can this DRM removal just be another ploy on their part? X1 still requires conection for that first time set up,presumably to download the patch that will remove the DRM. But what will stop MS from uploading the patch a year after x1 sales whn they already got consumer money and thus have nothing to worry about and can easily patch DRM right back. Would they be legaly able to do it?

I don't see why they wouldn't.  It is exactly something M$ would do.  Sell the box to millions of sheep, then pull the bait and switch.  Nothing XBox owners could do about it, since to use the console, they will have to agree to terms during the initial set up that will include clauses like 'the terms of this agreement can change without notice... yada yada yada', which basically allows M$ to do what ever they want with the Console's firmware.  If I were to consider buying the XBox One, I would definitely ask for a copy of the EULA and other legal documents that go with it and read them very, very carefully before making the purchase.

Message 3 of 22 (288 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
263 posts

Jun 22, 2013
You don't see why not? So they'll screw over the sheep now & sacrifice ALL future sales on this and any other console they ever make? When have you ever know microsoft to knowingly leave money on the table?
Message 4 of 22 (281 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
67 posts

[ Edited ]
Jun 22, 2013

uptownsoul wrote:
You don't see why not? So they'll screw over the sheep now & sacrifice ALL future sales on this and any other console they ever make? When have you ever know microsoft to knowingly leave money on the table?

But thats the thing. People will be invested in the console far too much a year later just to leave it as easily as they can now and wont be able to return their console too. And then they will atract new costumers through this people who while hating MS will do anything to insure that X1 doesn't go out of bussines and their investments along with it. they've already been ready to screw the sheep had Sony not interfere

Message 5 of 22 (274 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
263 posts

Jun 22, 2013
I understand why the suckered x1 owner will try to keep xbox afloat. I don't get why a potential buyer will believe the suckered x1 owner. "All the crap xbox had that made me not get the x1 is back. Oh, and I can never trust another word they ever utter, EVER! Sure, sign me up."
Message 6 of 22 (261 Views)
0 Likes
Highlighted
Uncharted Territory
1508 posts

Jun 22, 2013

You could worry about Sony doing the same thing though.

It was rumored that they may be following MS with this whole DRM thing before E3 and Sony had Tweeted and said, "We're listening." So they very well could have been considering implementing DRM in the PS4 and backed out before E3. Sony may have just got lucky not having it publicly revealed after seeing gamers up in arms.

I'm sure they'll have something in the ToU that states, "These may change without notice.", also.

DRM could come to any console that is connected to the internet later. So I'd say go with whatever console has the games you want.

Message 7 of 22 (240 Views)
Splicer
87 posts

Jun 22, 2013

what stops sony from putting drm on there console??? 

Message 8 of 22 (239 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1508 posts

Jun 22, 2013

jjbiggunz wrote:

what stops sony from putting drm on there console??? 

Like I said in the post above yours.

"Nothing" does. People need to stop and think, "Sony could do the same thing we're afraid MS may do."

Just because Sony didn't say they were going to do it, doesn't mean they haven't thought about it, and won't in the future.

Message 9 of 22 (230 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
263 posts

Jun 22, 2013
What's stopping both is that they said they wouldn't
Message 10 of 22 (218 Views)
0 Likes