Apr 08 2014
By: BBurgSteve MVP Support 10749 posts

Microsoft 'thinking about' officially emulating 360 software on the XB1

8 replies 128 views Edited Apr 8, 2014

I guess someone at a recent Microsoft event stated they were looking at the possibility of backward compatibility.

Stop me if you've heard any of this before...

- Frank Savage:  "There are plans (to introduce a 360 emulator for the XBox One), but we're not done thinking them through, yet, unfortunately."  Went on to state that "It turns out to be hard to emulate the PowerPC stuff on the x86 stuff.  So there's nothing to announce, yet, but I would love to see it myself."

- The article then goes on to talk about the things Don "backward compatibility is backward thinking" Mattrick and Albert Penello talked about last September, doing B/C through the Azure cloud network (like, PS Now, you mean?), and basically shooting even that down by stating that "you'd have to have the world's most awesome internet connection" to make it work. 

http://www.polygon.com/2014/4/7/5589068/microsoft-is-thinking-about-an-official-xbox-360-emulator-fo...

So basically, to shut down the forum trolls before they can start on this (Where are you, Sony?), there's nothing to see here.  Move along.

Message 1 of 9 (128 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
384 posts

Re: Microsoft 'thinking about' officially emulating 360 software on the XB1

Apr 8, 2014

The guys over at MS sometimes like to stick there foot in there mouth. They say how something can't be done because of limitation then the next you know they made that change. 

They aren't the best when it comes to PR lol 

Message 2 of 9 (120 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
10749 posts

Apr 8, 2014

Okay, then.  Guess we learned something here:

How to stop a troll thread before it starts when it comes to news from the competitor.

Message 3 of 9 (92 Views)
0 Likes
Naughty Paw
19736 posts

Apr 8, 2014

If a high-end PC can't emulate an Xbox 360, I hardly doubt an Xbox One can even come close.

Well, that or the emulator makers can't create a decent emulator that would be practical.

Message 4 of 9 (86 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
10749 posts

Apr 8, 2014

Da_Almighty_Guy wrote:

If a high-end PC can't emulate an Xbox 360, I hardly doubt an Xbox One can even come close.

Well, that or the emulator makers can't create a decent emulator that would be practical.

But, but, but...  they got XBLA's 2008 'Frogger 2' to run on a Windows PC....  so, like, anything is possible, as we all know, Frogger 2 is the best benchmark to test with....  Smiley Tongue

Message 5 of 9 (82 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
13523 posts

Apr 8, 2014

Da_Almighty_Guy wrote:

Well technically, wouldn't the creators of the original hardware have an easier time creating an emulator and optimizing it and all that? Or something to that effect.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Message 6 of 9 (75 Views)
0 Likes
Survivor
1960 posts

[ Edited ]
Apr 8, 2014

Why does this sound like Playstation Now?

Instead of streaming, they called it emulating.

Message 7 of 9 (70 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
10749 posts

Apr 8, 2014

TDBWID wrote:

Because the article is about actual emulation.  But since that seems unlikely because of the architecture differences (sound familiar?), the author of the article needed to save face, so brought up the Azure cloud ideas brought up when the XB1 was announced.

Message 8 of 9 (62 Views)
0 Likes
Highlighted
MVP Support
13523 posts

Apr 8, 2014

TDBWID wrote:

There's a huge difference between Streaming and emulating.

Streaming comes from an outside source, and requires internet.

Emulating is done directly on the hardware (and would probably allow access to already owned games), and doesn't require internet.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Message 9 of 9 (59 Views)
0 Likes