Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Keyblade Wielder
10928 posts

Re: NBA General Discussion Thread (No Kobe vs. LeBron)

Mar 8, 2010

i'd almost want to give KD the MVP if the thunder just had a slightly better record.

Message 61 of 10,343 (795 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1844 posts

Mar 8, 2010

Cavs and Lakers have been playing poorly lately.  That is all.

Message 62 of 10,343 (795 Views)
0 Likes
Limit Breaker
21170 posts

Mar 8, 2010

XrobX wrote:

i'd almost want to give KD the MVP if the thunder just had a slightly better record.

That's the dilemma. No one in the league is more important to his team's success than Durant except the guy who is going to win it (LeBron), but the Thunder's record isn't good enough to be considered MVP caliber, even though...this is one of those cases (see: Kobe Bryant, 2006), where it shouldn't matter.

I actually had Kobe as the MVP in the first half of the year...but...his time missed takes him out of the picture for me. So he'd be third...maybe fourth or fifth if I really take a closer look at Nash and Dirk (who are actually more logical MVP candidates today than they were when they won). I'd love to mention Melo in this, but if I dock Kobe for time missed, I can't not do the same for Melo. It's a real shame, because this year's MVP race should be exceptional with Durant, Kobe, Dirk, Nash, and Melo, but we all know it'd be a crime to not give it to LeBron, and that really sucks.

As for OKC awards...Scott Brooks as COY, yeah, that's a gimme. But Westbrook as MIP? No way. No way. No way. I am never in the camp that a top five pick in his second year should ever be considered for Most Improved Player. Though a second year player period shouldn't be, but definitely not a top five pick. This award should be for players that aren't supposed to play like top five picks, not players that are and do.

But it's not a strong MIP race this year so I can see why he'd be considered, but Westbrook shouldn't be in the discussion for it. I'm leaning towards Carl Landry right now. If I break my second year rule, I think Marc Gasol is a really great choice. Speaking of the Grizzlies, I don't know if it'd be weird to give it to Zach Randolph again or not. His numbers aren't any different, but he's actually good this year, so...

Message 63 of 10,343 (795 Views)
0 Likes
Keyblade Wielder
10100 posts

Mar 8, 2010

GoodLuckSaturday wrote:

But it's not a strong MIP race this year so I can see why he'd be considered, but Westbrook shouldn't be in the discussion for it. I'm leaning towards Carl Landry right now. If I break my second year rule, I think Marc Gasol is a really great choice. Speaking of the Grizzlies, I don't know if it'd be weird to give it to Zach Randolph again or not. His numbers aren't any different, but he's actually good this year, so...

I'm going to throw out a name and I want you to think about it for a minute before answering.

Most Improved Player: Channing Frye

Comparing this season to last he is averaging 7.4ppg more, 3rpg more, all his shooting percentages are up AND he's become an outside threat from the F-C position. He went from a guy with less than 35 3-PT attempts in each of his previous 4 seasons and a less than 33% average in those seasons to a player with over 300 3-PT attempts and a better then 40% average. That's Dirk type numbers, and he's considered one of the better long-range shooters at the F-C position.

He's not having HUGE numbers but his play has been better this season than in any season since his rookie campaign.

PSN: TheGrimTruth
Message 64 of 10,343 (795 Views)
0 Likes
Limit Breaker
21170 posts

Mar 8, 2010

A nice article from Frank Hughes at SI breaking down why John Wall would be a messy immediate fit for whatever team lands the top pick, except one, which happens to be the team I root for.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/writers/frank_hughes/03/08/john.wall/index.html?eref=sihp

And it really makes sense. I wish I had faith enough in my sports teams (i.e., was riding on a Super Bowl win right now instead of a loss) to think this might actually happen, but I've seen too much heartbreak without enough real joy to know better, but dammit if it doesn't make perfect sense for this to be Indiana's year to go #1 overall.

Message 65 of 10,343 (795 Views)
0 Likes
Limit Breaker
21170 posts

Mar 9, 2010

MikeGrim wrote:

Most Improved Player: Channing Frye

That's actually a really good case. Frye has really shown a lot in Phoenix this year and his addition of the three point shot has really taken him to a new level that could make him a long term league staple instead of him possibly being on his way out of the league. The only real problem I can see would be that his numbers aren't eye popping, to no fault of his, and generally, they have to be better than his are.

Only Isaac Austin in 1997 had lower numbers, and I figure that had to do more with him being out of the league for two years and getting a rotation spot on a contender in Miami. The other two cases with similar numbers to Frye (Darrell Armstrong, 2000, and Boris Diaw, 2003) involved those players becoming primary starters, which Frye hasn't been in about two months. I don't think right now I'd be against it, but I think it's going to be a long shot for him, to no fault of his. I'll see how the final month unfolds, but I'm a little invested in Landry, given I had him as the Sixth Man of the Year all year (hello, Jamal Crawford?), so I'd hate to see his improvements go unrewarded personally. I admit I'm probably not going to be thinking with a totally clear head in regards to Frye next month.

Message 66 of 10,343 (795 Views)
0 Likes
Keyblade Wielder
10928 posts

Mar 9, 2010

welp, that's 12 striaght for the mavs. as for MIP. i'm not so sure who i'm going with. maybe gerald wallace

and wow, did the knicks really beat the hawks tonight?

Message 67 of 10,343 (795 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3255 posts

Mar 9, 2010

XrobX wrote:

welp, that's 12 striaght for the mavs. as for MIP. i'm not so sure who i'm going with. maybe gerald wallace

and wow, did the knicks really beat the hawks tonight?

Yes, they did beat the Hawks tonight.... making that 3 times this year they've won against the Hawks. I'm telling you, it's the curse of Jamal Crawford :smileytongue:

And did you actually catch the game? What a game, one of the most exciting all year in terms of last second action.

Photobucket
Message 68 of 10,343 (795 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
414 posts

Mar 9, 2010

delonte was a monster last night, that dude is a mad balla!

.`~--*'';:._--`~``
Message 69 of 10,343 (795 Views)
0 Likes
Limit Breaker
21170 posts

Mar 9, 2010

Danny Granger and Channing Frye have each been suspended for one game regarding their actions on Saturday. Granger will miss tonight against the Sixers. Adjust your fantasy roster accordingly.

These injuries are making the final stretch of the regular season closer and entertaining with seeding, but I'd also like to see teams not be completely outmatched come playoff time due to these injuries, too.

Message 70 of 10,343 (795 Views)
0 Likes