Feb 08 2013
By: JonathanCarabalo Lombax Warrior 220 posts

Nintendo Going Software Only

9 replies 316 views Edited Feb 8, 2013

I posted the following on Gamespot yesterday, but it was deleted for some reason.  But here it is:

Seriously - Wii U is selling at an annual rate of about 2 million units and dropping rapidly, and Wii even less, 1.5 million units per year and dropping rapidly. Wii U sales have been dropping at 15% weekly for the past 3 or 4 weeks, and Wii even faster, 20% weekly for the past 3 or 4 weeks. "It's over rock!" Time to throw in the towel. Anyway - they have no choice but to go software-only. They just launched Wii U 81 days ago in the United States. Plus they're sustaining another annual loss due to lack of sales of it. So we can expect Nintendo games on Playstation 4 and Xbox 3 at some point in the future.

Onto the other part of the post. When I went to buy some old Gamecube games, behold, their price is high! Their old games seem to be increasing in market value as a result of their going out of the console hardware business. Brand new copies of Super Mario Sunshine can't be had for less then $115.00 on amazon.com. Even used copies sell for no less then $25.00. That's unusual for such an unpopular console - it sold just 21 million units. Same with Paper Mario - new copies can't be had for less then $72, and used sell for no less then $25.00. At one point - Super Mario Sunshine was selling for $10.00 or so on the used market. Gamestop no longer carries Gamecube and associated titles as well. That may have something to do with it. Super Mario Galaxy can be found for $10.00 used though - Wii is going down in market value. But the old Nintendo consoles are going up. The following games have experienced a marked increased in market value:

Gamecube:
Super Mario Sunshine
Super Smash Brothers Melee
Luigi's Mansion
Paper Mario
Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door
Mario Kart: Double Dash
Zelda: The Wind Waker
Zelda: The Twilight Princess
Pikmin (minor)
Wario World (minor)

Nintendo 64:
Mario Party
Mario Party 2
Mario Kart 64
Super Mario 64
Super Smash Brothers (especially expensive - no less then $40.00 used)
Mario Party 3 (especially expensive - no less then $40.00 used)
Zelda: Majora's Mask
Zelda: Ocarina of Time
Conker's Bad Fur Day (a Rare Ltd. title)

However, the following Nintendo Gamecube games have not increased in value:

Wave Race: Blue Storm
Metroid Prime

So basically anything with Mario and Zelda has experienced a massive price increase on Gamecube and Nintendo 64, due to Nintendo going software-only soon. An interesting market phenomenon. Very rare! Who would've thought Nintendo would finally go software-only in 2013? Unusual. First Sega in 2001, then Nintendo in 2013. Those Gamecube games are pretty rare though. No more then a few million units made of each.

Message 1 of 10 (316 Views)
Lombax Warrior
220 posts

Re: Nintendo Going Software Only

Feb 8, 2013

Wii sold 21,477 for the week ending on February 2, 2013, according to vgcharz.  Thus - another 17.4% drop for Wii.  But Wii U sold 37,755 globally -  a 9.2% rise.  Unexpected.   I expect another 18% drop for Wii next week.  Thus dropping to 17,611.  That's virtually nothing.  14,000 for the week after that.  It's selling at an annual rate of just 915,772 and dropping quickly.  Consumer demand is 0.

Wii U consumer demand is not much better.  It barely rose this week - that was unexpected, but it's still very low.  Some sort of artificial influence may have caused that.  It doesn't matter - the loss tends to find them elsewhere.  Also - Playstation 4 is set to be announced soon, and will likely lower the total enthusiasm yet more, for these consoles

Message 2 of 10 (313 Views)
0 Likes
Highlighted
Sackboy
638 posts

[ Edited ]
Feb 8, 2013

darn it, I should have bought Super Mario Sunshine when it was $10 used. I regret it now...Smiley Sad

Free userbars
Free userbars
Free userbars
Message 3 of 10 (309 Views)
0 Likes
PIayStation MVP
12905 posts

Feb 8, 2013

JonathanCarabalo wrote:

I posted the following on Gamespot yesterday, but it was deleted for some reason.  But here it is:

Seriously - Wii U is selling at an annual rate of about 2 million units and dropping rapidly, and Wii even less, 1.5 million units per year and dropping rapidly. Wii U sales have been dropping at 15% weekly for the past 3 or 4 weeks, and Wii even faster, 20% weekly for the past 3 or 4 weeks. "It's over rock!" Time to throw in the towel. Anyway - they have no choice but to go software-only. They just launched Wii U 81 days ago in the United States. Plus they're sustaining another annual loss due to lack of sales of it. So we can expect Nintendo games on Playstation 4 and Xbox 3 at some point in the future.

Onto the other part of the post. When I went to buy some old Gamecube games, behold, their price is high! Their old games seem to be increasing in market value as a result of their going out of the console hardware business. Brand new copies of Super Mario Sunshine can't be had for less then $115.00 on amazon.com. Even used copies sell for no less then $25.00. That's unusual for such an unpopular console - it sold just 21 million units. Same with Paper Mario - new copies can't be had for less then $72, and used sell for no less then $25.00. At one point - Super Mario Sunshine was selling for $10.00 or so on the used market. Gamestop no longer carries Gamecube and associated titles as well. That may have something to do with it. Super Mario Galaxy can be found for $10.00 used though - Wii is going down in market value. But the old Nintendo consoles are going up. The following games have experienced a marked increased in market value:

Gamecube:
Super Mario Sunshine
Luigi's Mansion
Paper Mario
Pikmin (minor)
Wario World (minor)

Nintendo 64:
Mario Party
Mario Party 2
Mario Kart 64
Super Mario 64

Metroid Prime

So basically anything with Mario and Zelda has experienced a massive price increase on Gamecube and Nintendo 64, due to Nintendo going software-only soon. An interesting market phenomenon. Very rare! Who would've thought Nintendo would finally go software-only in 2013? Unusual. First Sega in 2001, then Nintendo in 2013. Those Gamecube games are pretty rare though. No more then a few million units made of each.

I think I know why it was deleted. What you have written is total nonsense, and it is clear you don't know what you are talking about.

For instance how can you project that the WiiU is selling at 2 million a year, when it has only been out for less than 4 months? Nintendo's own estimates project 4 million sold (down from 5 million).

Also you can't compare Sega to Ninetendo. Sega had been struggling for years, Nintendo has been profitable for most of this lifecycle. Even today Sony & Microsoft can barely manage to make a profit, and I am sure both of those companies would gladly change places with Nintendo in terms of their financial stability.

But the notion of Nintendo going software only in 2013 is just rediculous...

Message 4 of 10 (279 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1042 posts

Feb 8, 2013
I know why it was deleted. It's stupid.
Message 5 of 10 (277 Views)
I Only Post Everything
891 posts

Feb 8, 2013

Makes absolutely no sense.

photo wizard_zps4173ab5c.png
Message 6 of 10 (272 Views)
PIayStation MVP
12905 posts

Feb 9, 2013
The OP must be quite young to come out with this logic. I remember having somewhat similar viewpoints during the Atari/Coleco days and the Sega/Nintendo days...
Message 7 of 10 (266 Views)
0 Likes
Survivor
2624 posts

Feb 9, 2013

I would love to see Nintendo go the way of Sega.  I buy Sega games all the time (mostly the older ones on PSN).  I think that it would be fantastic to be able to go onto the PSN and buy Nintendo games.  I just don't think that Nintendo can make it in the hardware business anymore.  The WiiU can't even play blu-ray movies.  Most people nowadays want a system that can do everything and do it well.  I think that the PS4 will be what everyone needs/wants.

Play-Asia.com - Buy Games & Codes for PS4, PS3, Xbox 360, Xbox One, Wii U and PC / Mac.
Message 8 of 10 (254 Views)
0 Likes
PIayStation MVP
12905 posts

Feb 9, 2013

The WiiU is capable of playing Blu-Ray movies, just like the Wii was capable of playing DVDs, it is just that Nintendo doesn't want that functionality on their systems...

Message 9 of 10 (247 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3410 posts

Feb 10, 2013

JonathanCarabalo wrote:

Gamecube:
Super Mario Sunshine
Luigi's Mansion
Paper Mario
Pikmin (minor)
Wario World (minor)

Nintendo 64:
Mario Party
Mario Party 2
Mario Kart 64
Super Mario 64

Metroid Prime

I regret giving away Super Mario Sunshine and Super Smash Bros Melee Smiley Sad. Also I gave away MK: DD. Good thing there's a store that sells GameCube games. I'm buying them again and NEVER GIVING THEM AWAY!! Good thing I have my original copy of Luigi's Mansion! ^_^

photo tumblr_ltj7u6nyrU1qetp61o1_500_zpse82365c3.gif
http://auroraterra.deviantart.com/
Message 10 of 10 (243 Views)
0 Likes