Highlighted
Dec 08 2013
By: Gojet-64 Gaming Beast 2197 posts

No more microtransactions!

[ Edited ]
33 replies 727 views Edited Dec 8, 2013

no_microtransactions.png

I've made my deciscion: I will no longer purchase ANY game that has microtransactions. If any game I was looking forward to has microtransactions, I won't buy it. Simple as that.

If you want the short version, just read the stuff that is underlined/bold.

It doesn't matter which way you cut it: Microtransactions are wrong in every way, and anyone who tries to justify microtransactions in $60 games does not deserve to be called a gamer.

Microtransactions are not a case of "Don't like it, Don't buy it" because they affect everyone, whether or not you buy them. And I'll explain why in this post.

The first and most obvious problem, is that I already payed $60 for the game, why do you even give the option of shelling out more money to progress faster through the game? If I payed $60 for a game, I should be able to access all the content in the game within a reasonable amount of time, without having to pay more money to do so.

And that brings me to my next two points. First, once microtransactions are implemented into a game, the developer cannot be trusted to keep the progression of the game reasonable. The temptation is far too high to resist, and almost all games with microtransactions have dreadfully slow progression systems. This of course, is to try to force you to buy the microtransactions.

Second, the idea of shelling out money to earn things you can get by playing the game is completely wrong in every way. The "gamers" who buy these microtransactions are to blame. Because there are now people who play games only for the progression of the game. They play to get the rewards, they don't play for the game itself. These people would be perfectly happy playing a game where you just push a button 1,000 times and you get a trophy, but if you pay $10, you only need to press the button 800 times.

These developers think we're rats in a maze whose sole objective is to get the cheese at the end of the maze, not to enjoy the maze.

In a way, incorporating microtransactions into game is basically saying "Well, our game isn't enough fun to keep playing, so we'll let you pay money to play our game less". That is completely illogical, and I don't know why people try justifying it.

Lastly, Microtransactions carry the potential to devalue anything earned through normal means. If one person put in dozens of hours into a game to earn something, that's a real achievemend, a real reward, right? Why should someone else be able to simply buy it and skip all that? Not only does it devalue the effort for the person who put hours into earning that item, but it also removes any of the rewarding feeling for the person who bought it.

I will not put up with it any longer. We as gamers have to stand up against this, and refuse to buy any game that has microtransactions. Simply buying the game and not buying microtransactions is not enough. The developers still get their $60 whether or not you buy microtransactions, so they would have no reason to remove them. If we stop buying games with microtransactions, developers will stop putting microtransactions in their games.

Please, we all need to help in order to stop this.

Gojet-64 is now Encvell. (Gojet-64 is now only used for older games and Vita)
Back up your PS3's and PS4's hard drives!
Try repairing your corrupted hard drive without losing data, here.
Message 1 of 34 (727 Views)
Treasure Hunter
4356 posts

Re: No more microtransactions!

Dec 8, 2013
I support you 110%

Now just get the developers to listen and we will all live happily ever after.
Message 2 of 34 (723 Views)
Survivor
2624 posts

Dec 8, 2013

I only buy Game of the Year editions/ Complete versions of games.  It's not worth it to have to pay $100 grand total in order to get 100% out of a game.  To let game companies know that gamers don't like paying for dlc you simply just wait for the Game of the Year edition or only buy games that don't make dlc.  That's how gamers win.  If a game developer sells twice as many copies of the GOTYE than they did the original vanilla version they will learn. Smiley Wink

Play-Asia.com - Buy Games & Codes for PS4, PS3, Xbox 360, Xbox One, Wii U and PC / Mac.
Message 3 of 34 (704 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
2599 posts

Dec 8, 2013
I support this. Smiley Happy
Message 4 of 34 (695 Views)
Gaming Beast
2197 posts

[ Edited ]
Dec 8, 2013

MonkeyDad1977 wrote:

I only buy Game of the Year editions/ Complete versions of games.  It's not worth it to have to pay $100 grand total in order to get 100% out of a game.  To let game companies know that gamers don't like paying for dlc you simply just wait for the Game of the Year edition or only buy games that don't make dlc.  That's how gamers win.  If a game developer sells twice as many copies of the GOTYE than they did the original vanilla version they will learn. Smiley Wink

Unfortunately, you are talking about DLC, which is not the same as microtransactions.

DLC is when you pay money to add content to the game.

Microtransactions are when you pay money for things that are already in the game, but buying them with real money simply speeds up the process.

DLC is good in most cases, and while it does have the potential to ruin a game's economy, it hasn't in most games. Because DLC is paying money to add things to the game, not paying money for things already in the game.

Microtransactions, on the other hand, are infiltrating more and more games, and it's only getting worse. At least with DLC, you didn't have to buy that to get a good experience out of the game. With microtransactions, developers are slowing down game progression dramatically in order to force us to buy overpriced microtransactions, and it's unacceptable.

I'm not disagreeing with you, just explaining the difference between DLC and microtransacions.

Message 5 of 34 (692 Views)
Survivor
2624 posts

Dec 8, 2013

Gojet-64 wrote:

MonkeyDad1977 wrote:

Unfortunately, you are talking about DLC, which is not the same as microtransactions.

DLC is when you pay money to add content to the game.

Microtransactions are when you pay money for things that are already in the game, but buying them with real money simply speeds up the process.

DLC is good in most cases, and while it does have the potential to ruin a game's economy, it hasn't in most games. Because DLC is paying money to add things to the game, not paying money for things already in the game.

Microtransactions, on the other hand, are infiltrating more and more games, and it's only getting worse. At least with DLC, you didn't have to buy that to get a good experience out of the game. With microtransactions, developers are slowing down game progression dramatically in order to force us to buy overpriced microtransactions, and it's unacceptable.

I'm not disagreeing with you, just explaining the difference between DLC and microtransacions.

Are you talking about free to play games?  I have never done a microtransaction before.

Play-Asia.com - Buy Games & Codes for PS4, PS3, Xbox 360, Xbox One, Wii U and PC / Mac.
Message 6 of 34 (683 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
2197 posts

[ Edited ]
Dec 8, 2013

MonkeyDad1977 wrote:

Are you talking about free to play games?  I have never done a microtransaction before.

That's the issue right now. Think about Free-to-Play games: They have slow progression, or you can pay money to progress faster and get more items.

At least microtransactions are justifiable in Free-to-Play games. They need to make money somehow, right?

Now, look at how the econmy of Free-to-Play games work (Slow progression, paying to unlock things faster) and apply that to $60 games. You shouldn't apply Free-to-Play mechanics in a game that isn't free, and I won't put up with it.

Message 7 of 34 (679 Views)
Wastelander
614 posts

Dec 8, 2013

MonkeyDad1977 wrote:

If more people buy Game of the Year versions, all they will learn is that people buy games once they are given Game of the Year awards. And DLC is great, microtransactions are not. DLC lets me get more content out of a game to give it more value later down the road, instead of buying a whole new game.

Microtransactions are terrible when 60 dollars doesn't get you all of the content that exists for the game at launch. They might have a legitimate place in games that sell for retail at a lower price point. Then you can decide how much of the experience satisfies you.

So I agree, just don't buy any supposedly full games with microtransactions. Unless you disagree and don't mind them. Then just buy to your heart's content.

digitalseraph2.jpg

Add me as a friend to chat or just play games -- PSNid: seraphim_falconu

checkoutbanner.jpg

Message 8 of 34 (668 Views)
Sackboy
465 posts

Dec 8, 2013

I support this! This is why i dont game on my iPhones. Phone games have way to many microtransactions. I hate it!

Message 9 of 34 (666 Views)
Fender Bender
3501 posts

[ Edited ]
Dec 8, 2013

This is a battle that can't be won.

There are far more... hmmm... don't want to say lazy but I am lacking a better word so... Lazy gamers that gladly dump an extra few bucks here and there to get those guns, cars, perks, clothes, stats or whatever to get a feeling of accomplishment without batting an eye.

Likewise and I am NOT saying ALL but many youthful gamers are just after instant gratification. Principals mean little, especially with moms CC attached to the account and it (the console) being the primary care giver.. a whole nutha' topic.

Me, I am old and remember when earning things meant something.

Sadly, It is not going away.

<For the simple minded: I agree with the OP, this is just my opinion why this problem is running rampant in an effort to stimulate discussion>

<For the even simpler: ME THINK BAD, ME NO LIKE>

The truth will set you free... But it may sting a bit...
Message 10 of 34 (664 Views)
0 Likes