Feb 06 2013
By: havocsarmy Fender Bender 3987 posts

Post Office to halt Saturday deliveries

11 replies 134 views Edited Feb 6, 2013

The U.S. Postal Service will stop delivering mail on Saturdays but continue to deliver packages six days a week under a plan aimed at saving about $2 billion annually, the financially struggling agency says.

In an announcement scheduled for later Wednesday, the service is expected to say the Saturday mail cutback would begin in August.

The move accentuates one of the agency's strong points — package delivery has increased by 14 percent since 2010, officials say, while the delivery of letters and other mail has declined with the increasing use of email and other Internet services.

Under the new plan, mail would be delivered to homes and businesses only from Monday through Friday, but would still be delivered to post office boxes on Saturdays. Post offices now open on Saturdays would remain open on Saturdays.

Over the past several years, the Postal Service has advocated shifting to a five-day delivery schedule for mail and packages — and it repeatedly but unsuccessfully appealed to Congress to approve the move. Though an independent agency, the service gets no tax dollars for its day-to-day operations but is subject to congressional control.

It was not immediately clear how the service could eliminate Saturday mail without congressional approval.

But the agency clearly thinks it has a majority of the American public on its side regarding the change.

Material prepared for the Wednesday press conference by Patrick R. Donahoe, postmaster general and CEO, says Postal Service market research and other research has indicated that nearly seven in 10 Americans support the switch to five-day delivery as a way for the Postal Service to reduce costs.

"The Postal Service is advancing an important new approach to delivery that reflects the strong growth of our package business and responds to the financial realities resulting from America's changing mailing habits," Donahoe said in a statement prepared for the announcement. "We developed this approach by working with our customers to understand their delivery needs and by identifying creative ways to generate significant cost savings."

http://www.cnbc.com/id/100438302

photo 220dee8b-5bcd-4c72-9468-b21cfc72f31f_zpsfd870647.jpg
Message 1 of 12 (134 Views)
Treasure Hunter
4421 posts

Re: Post Office to halt Saturday deliveries

Feb 6, 2013

Hah.  Meanwhile, the rates will continue to increase.

Honestly though, I would have no quams about it anyway.  I am about 95% paperless now, which is what I believe the issue with the POstal Service is.  With the increase in online bill delivery and payment, they are losing the revenue they once counted on.

The more people switch to online use, the more the Postal Service loses in charges.  With the increasing amount of youths growing up in a digital age, it may only be a matter of time before the private sector mail sees delivery day shortened even more.  Of course businesses will need the continued five day mail service, but private recipients may see their days reduced.

Fiscally, it only makes sense.  Although it begins to remove the usefulness of the service, ANY business that is not able to adapt to changes in technology or their own business niche, is bound to suffer from it.

It may not even be outside the possibility for the Postal Service to seek dues for delivery to private, or at least business entities.  While this would undoubtedly be in the future, it is not without saying, this may be the only method of eventually keeping the Postal Service in business.

At this current point, the majority of the revenues seen by the POstal Service are from businesses, either in the act of commerce, or through junk mail that we all love to get.

Junk mail is a double dip revenue for the Postal Service.  The mailer has to pay for postage to send the mail out.  They again pay for the postage on the envelopes, pre paid, they provide in their mailings.  I am speaking, of course, of the credit card offers, magazine subscription offers and the like.  Additionally, with the increase in online media, the Postal Service may also see a decline in the aforementioned magazine subscription mailers.

There is a thread on the Forum regarding the "lack" of gaming magazines.  Due to online information, a lot of these mags have gone by the way side.  Multiply that to other magazine formats, and eventually all media will be electronic.  It is progress, for better or worse.  Even magazines like Good House Keeping and the like may find themselves leveraged out by sites like Pinterest.

Time sees all things change, and although it is sad to see a service created by Benjamin Franklin go into decline, it is probably inevitable.

Moble

Message 2 of 12 (128 Views)
Highlighted
Sackboy
416 posts

Feb 6, 2013

The post office is struggling because it has to pre fund thier pension plan.When they were forced to do so by congress they over paid by billions.So when the post office ask for it back the government said sorry your out of luck the money is gone.Its crazy that the post office gets regulated by the government yet is not really a government agency.

When Fed ex and Ups want to be competitive they can just change thier prices.When the post office wants to do that they have to go threw congress.Its a bunch of crap.

The thing is or even the idea is thier are people in the government that are invested in fed ex and ups and want to bring down their competition which is the post office.The government is doing what they can to bankrupt the post office. 

Photobucket
Crap Box.. it only does everything poorly and charges you for it.
Message 3 of 12 (115 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
7125 posts

Feb 7, 2013

LordVDoom wrote:

The post office is struggling because it has to pre fund thier pension plan.When they were forced to do so by congress they over paid by billions.So when the post office ask for it back the government said sorry your out of luck the money is gone.Its crazy that the post office gets regulated by the government yet is not really a government agency.

When Fed ex and Ups want to be competitive they can just change thier prices.When the post office wants to do that they have to go threw congress.Its a bunch of crap.

The thing is or even the idea is thier are people in the government that are invested in fed ex and ups and want to bring down their competition which is the post office.The government is doing what they can to bankrupt the post office. 

Well that would be a sad day if they do.   I think  thr  us post  office is more reliable with alot thing paying your rent with  money order to  orderings..  every thing is back logged more professionally.. that would be ahuge lost/

I dont think it possible thought, In my  small opinion nothing beats seeing it on paper.

Mcbuttz78

vp-psn legioniaree group.

Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past, Wisdom is of the future

Message 4 of 12 (100 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
4576 posts

Feb 7, 2013

Saturday mail doesn't really affect me. But also, this doesn't start till August.

Message 5 of 12 (93 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
41805 posts

[ Edited ]
Feb 7, 2013

I have absolutley no issue with USPS dropping Saturday deliveries, although I do think they shoudl try to maintain a Saturday delivery for businesses.

My local post office does a decent job & the lady that does delivers the mail here t the house is lovely, she couldn't do more for you, but the USPS is struggling, struggling with pensions, with less mail, electronic papers etc, it's a changing world.

An interesting point that no one has yet mentioned & as the 'resident' Brit' I'll do so for my American friends, is that there is in fact a law in place in the US that states that the USPS must deliver mail 6 days per week, USPS has bluntly told Congress that they don't care & are stopping the delivery anyway, Congress are not happy!

BRIT-KO

CMNTY_SIG_MVP_500x100_002B.jpg

Customer Service - 1-800-345-SONY (7669)
Account & billing Support -1-877-971-SONY (7669)
Available Mon to Fri 8am - 8pm PST
Message 6 of 12 (84 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5381 posts

Feb 7, 2013
This doesn't affect me either. I was saying this all along. They shouldn't be working on Saturday's.
Message 7 of 12 (80 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3987 posts

Feb 7, 2013

I don't know about you but I love getting mail on Saturdays especially since I order so much stuff over the internet. Saturday is a extra day for me getting games and stuff Smiley Happy

photo 220dee8b-5bcd-4c72-9468-b21cfc72f31f_zpsfd870647.jpg
Message 8 of 12 (70 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
8202 posts

Feb 7, 2013
Oh man, I was looking forward to placing the flyers I get on Saturday straight into the bin. Smiley Sad

Smiley Very Happy
Message 9 of 12 (67 Views)
0 Likes
Platinum
56258 posts

Feb 7, 2013

BRIT-KO wrote:

I have absolutley no issue with USPS dropping Saturday deliveries, although I do think they shoudl try to maintain a Saturday delivery for businesses.

My local post office does a decent job & the lady that does delivers the mail here t the house is lovely, she couldn't do more for you, but the USPS is struggling, struggling with pensions, with less mail, electronic papers etc, it's a changing world.

An interesting point that no one has yet mentioned & as the 'resident' Brit' I'll do so for my American friends, is that there is in fact a law in place in the US that states that the USPS must deliver mail 6 days per week, USPS has bluntly told Congress that they don't care & are stopping the delivery anyway, Congress are not happy!

BRIT-KO

They will still do package delivery but no more metered mail (ie bills letters). 

I'm glad they are doing this.  It will save the post office (and the taxpayer) about 2 billion a year in payroll expenses.   We all should realize by now that EVERY govt program from the military to welfare will have to be cut if we wish to survive as a free people in this nation. 

Message 10 of 12 (60 Views)
0 Likes