Mar 10 2014
By: Jigsaw4422 Treasure Hunter 5241 posts
Accepted Solution

REMEMBERING THE 90'S....

128 replies 561 views Edited Mar 10, 2014
Yes I know this is a long post but there was so much to say bout the 90's Hehe Smiley Happy

Culturally, the 1990s was characterized by the rise of multiculturalism and alternative media. Movements such as grunge, the rave scene and hip hop spread around the world to young people during the decade, aided by then-new technology such as cable television and the Internet.

Technology

The 1990s were an incredibly revolutionary decade for digital technology. Cell phones of the early 1990s and earlier were very large, lacked extra features, and were used by only a few percent of the population of even the wealthiest nations. Only a few million people used online services in 1990, and the World Wide Web had only just been invented. The first web browser went online in 1993 and by 2001, more than 50% of some Western countries had Internet access, and more than 25% had cell phone access.

Electronics and communications

Y2K spread fear throughout the United States and eventually the world in the last half of the decade, particularly 1999, about possible massive computer malfunctions on 1 January 2000. As a result, many people stocked up on supplies for fear of a world wide disaster. Eventually no globally significant computer failures occurred when the clocks rolled over into 2000.

Advancements in computer modems, ISDN, cable modems, and DSL lead to faster connection to the Internet.

The Pentium processor is developed by Intel.

E-mail becomes popular; as a result Microsoft acquires the popular Hotmail webmail service.

Instant messaging and the Buddy list becomes popular. AIM and ICQ are two early protocols.

Businesses start to build E-commerce websites; E-commerce-only companies such as Amazon.com, eBay, AOL, and Yahoo! grow rapidly.

1ST MP3 PLAYER IN 1998

CD BURNERS ARE INTRODUCED

PAGER WERE REPLACED BY MOBILE PHONE BY THE END OF DECADE.

PORTABLE C PLAYS INTRODUCED IN LATE 80'S BUT CECAME POPULAR DURING THE 90'S

CD ROMS AND DVD MEDIA FORMATS ARE DEVELOPED.

Film
The 1990s were an eventful time for film. The first full-length CGI movie Pixar's Toy Story is released, revolutionizing animated films. Titanic becomes a cultural phenomenon throughout the world, and eventually becomes the highest grossing film of all time, grossing over $1.8 billion worldwide. It would hold this record for over a decade until 2010 when director James Cameron had another one of his films take the title, that being Avatar.

The films produced by the Walt Disney Animation Studios became popular once more when the studio returned to making traditionally animated musical family classics such as Beauty and the Beast, Aladdin, and The Lion King. This era was known as the Disney Renaissance.

Television

TV shows, mostly sitcoms, were popular with the American audience. Series such as Roseanne and Seinfeld, both which premiered in the late eighties, and Frasier, a spin-off of the 1980s hit Cheers were viewed throughout the 1990s. These sitcoms, along with Friends, The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air, Full House, Family Matters, That '70s Show, Married... with Children, Everybody Loves Raymond, and Martin, turned TV in new directions and defined the humor of the decade.

Medical dramas started to come into television in the ‘90s. One show stood out as a critical and ratings success for NBC. In 1994, ER, which starred Anthony Edwards and George Clooney, was a domestic and international success, lasting until 2009 and spawning series such as Grey's Anatomy (2005–present). It made NBC the most watched channel in the USA. This show launched the career of George Clooney.

Beverly Hills, 90210 ran on Fox from 1990 to 2000. It established the teen soap genre paving the way for Dawson's Creek, Felicity, and other shows airing in later years. The show was then remade and renamed simply 90210 and premiered in 2008. Melrose Place, a popular TV show that dominated throughout the ‘90s as well. Baywatch, a popular TV show that dominated throughout the ‘90s, became the most watched TV show in history and influenced pop culture.

Reality television began on MTV; this would grow in importance in the western world into the next decade.

During the mid-1990s, two of the biggest professional wrestling companies: World Championship Wrestling and World Wrestling Federation were in a ratings battle that was dubbed the Monday Night Wars (1995–2001).

Each company fought to draw more viewers to their respective Monday night wrestling show.

The Debut of the NWO on July 6, 1996....

The "War" ended in 2001 when WWE bought WCW.

In November 2001, there was a Winner Takes All match with both companies in a Pay-Per-View called Survivor Series. WWF won the match; putting a final end to WCW.

MUSIC:

Female pop icons Spice Girls took the world by storm, becoming the most commercially successful British group since The Beatles, The Rolling Stones and Led Zeppelin.Their impact brings about a widespread scene of teen pop acts around the world such as Backstreet Boys, Hanson, N Sync, Britney Spears and Christina Aguilera who come to prominence into the new millennium.

Video gaming

Sony’s PlayStation becomes the top selling game console and changes the standard media storage type from cartridges to compact discs in consoles. Crash Bandicoot is released on 9 September 1996, becoming one of the most successful platforming series for the Sony PlayStation. Tomb Raider’s (PlayStation) Lara Croft became a video game sex symbol, becoming a recognizable figure in the entertainment industry throughout the late 1990s.

3-D graphics become the standard by end of decade. Although FPSs had long since seen the transition to full 3D, other genres begin to copy this trend by the end of the decade. Most notable first shooter games in the 1990s are GoldenEye 007 and Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six.

The console wars, primarily between Sega (Mega Drive, marketed as the Sega Genesis in North America, introduced in 1988) and Nintendo (Super NES, introduced in 1990), sees the entrance of Sony with the PlayStation in 1994, which becomes the first successful CD-based console (as opposed to cartridges). By the end of the decade, Sega’s hold on the market becomes tenuous after the end of the Saturn in 1999 and the Dreamcast in 2002.

SPORTS:

In professional wrestling, the boom period of the WWF from the late 1980s continued until 1993, lead by such stars as Hulk Hogan and The Ultimate Warrior. A second boom period of the decade was introduced during the Monday Night Wars between the WWF and WCW from the middle of the decade to spawn the WWF's Attitude Era, home to some of the biggest names in Wrestling history such as Stone Cold Steve Austin and The Rock and the highly popular nWo group, along with Goldberg who brought WCW major success
Your 1st and ONLY 2-Time 2013 Digital Lesuire's Queen Of War!!~~

Never ask questions you don't wanna know da answers to!!~~

You don't have 2 love me,You don't even have 2 like me, But you WILL Respect me!!~~

Loved by few, Hated by many, Respected by All!!~~

The Fear of Death, is far greater then Death itself,
The Fear of the Unknown is the greatest fear of them all!!

The Undertaker!!~~
Message 1 of 129 (561 Views)
Ghost of Sparta
13569 posts

Re: REMEMBERING THE 90'S....

Mar 10, 2014

I call dibbs on making the "Remember the 2000's" thread!

Message 2 of 129 (552 Views)
Limit Breaker
20896 posts

Mar 10, 2014

invisble.jpg

Message 3 of 129 (553 Views)
0 Likes
VP of Gaming
28838 posts

Mar 10, 2014

I was broke most of the 90's. Not very good memories for me.

Message 4 of 129 (549 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
2023 posts

Mar 10, 2014

Don't some people call it "the roaring 90s"? Or maybe I'm getting my time periods wrong Smiley Very Happy

young beard signature
Message 5 of 129 (539 Views)
0 Likes
Ghost of Sparta
13569 posts

Mar 10, 2014

YoungBeard wrote:

Don't some people call it "the roaring 90s"? Or maybe I'm getting my time periods wrong Smiley Very Happy

I could have sworn it was the "roaring twenties."

Message 6 of 129 (535 Views)
Treasure Hunter
5241 posts

Mar 10, 2014

Think that was the 20's also....could be wrong tho....

Castro - You have the 2000-2010 thread next lol Smiley Tongue

You don't have 2 love me,You don't even have 2 like me, But you WILL Respect me!!~~

The Undertaker!!~~
Message 7 of 129 (533 Views)
0 Likes
Ghost of Sparta
13569 posts

Mar 10, 2014

Jigsaw4422 wrote:

I'll start my research.  Smiley Very Happy

Message 8 of 129 (529 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
2023 posts

Mar 10, 2014

ossiecastro5 wrote:

YoungBeard wrote:

I could have sworn it was the "roaring twenties."

Yeah, just looked it up. Dang, I can never get my time periods up. That, or I'm just hearing things that I'm not percieving correctly

young beard signature
Message 9 of 129 (527 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5241 posts

[ Edited ]
Mar 10, 2014

ossiecastro5 wrote:

Jigsaw4422 wrote:

I'll start my research.  Smiley Very Happy

Smiley LOL

The Undertaker!!~~
Message 10 of 129 (525 Views)
0 Likes