Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Reply
Welcoming Committee
Registered: 05/22/2013
Offline
8057 posts
 

Re: RIP Windows XP Oct 2001 - April 2014

Apr 7, 2014

ossiecastro5 wrote:

I'm assuming that Microsoft is only doing this to force more people to use their newer models.


Yea most likely. 7 isn't that bad. 8... is another can of worms. It's ok, but I'm not a huge fan of it.

Please use plain text.
Message 11 of 25 (97 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
VP of Gaming
Registered: 09/30/2004
Online
28502 posts
 

Re: RIP Windows XP Oct 2001 - April 2014

Apr 7, 2014

 i never even had or used windows 7 that much

windows 8 is just showing how ms is starting to ride the band wagon like everyone else

Please use plain text.
Message 12 of 25 (93 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Last Guardian
Registered: 05/27/2009
Offline
10576 posts
 

Re: RIP Windows XP Oct 2001 - April 2014

[ Edited ]
Apr 7, 2014

darknovaxp wrote:

nov2rem wrote:

I still use my Windows XP laptop since 2005. Is it time for me to upgrade? I knew about the discontinued support for awhile now. I'm very careful online and never updated to Service Pack 3. I was planning on getting Windows 7 since about 2-3 years ago but never got around to doing it. It's going to be annoying moving all my music and files to a new computer.

 

Then last year I wanted a Windows 8.1 tablet/laptop since people complained about Windows 8. I'm undecided right now. Saw a few Windows 7 refurbished laptop for a reasonable price on ebay so I don't know. I think the whole hackers are waiting for the right time to exploit Windows XP could be overexaggerating. I believe it but at the same time maybe Microsoft wants more $.  

 

Windows XP was awesome.


Old sport, I cannot recommend Windows 8.1 enough, especially with a tablet or comparable device. The majority of people that complain about Windows 8 simply do not like the new Start Screen and are unaware that the desktop is still there and all of their applications will work just as if they were using Windows 7.

 

Contrary to popular belief you're not forced to use the Modern (formerly Metro) apps. In fact, you are forced to use the Modern apps just as much as you were forced to use Internet Explorer in every version of Windows since IE's creation; you're not. Simply change default applications as you would previously. And it works exactly like Windows 7 simply with added features.


I still have a Laptop with Touch-Screen. I don't barly use Modern Apps unless I play games on them.

 

and whats funny that with Windows 8.1 Update 1 coming Tomorrow so that would change the critic's mind


 photo AL2009manBanner2013_zpsd80ecc86.png

 photo AL2009manBanner2013_zpsd80ecc86.png

QUOTE OF THE WEEK: &quotMe love sum animes!" -AL2009man 2014
Please use plain text.
Message 13 of 25 (90 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Splicer
Registered: 01/25/2013
Offline
80 posts
 

Re: RIP Windows XP Oct 2001 - April 2014

Apr 7, 2014

And why is it considered dead? people still use older windows even DOS still even when they are no longer supported, i still use Windows 98 SE on my IBM thinkpad for web browsing sometimes

Resist obsolesence. Technology will always serve a purpose even if they are older, and slower. As long as that piece of technology still serves its purpose, why upgrade?
Please use plain text.
Message 14 of 25 (77 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Splicer
Registered: 01/25/2013
Offline
80 posts
 

Re: RIP Windows XP Oct 2001 - April 2014

Apr 7, 2014

Um yeah, you sir are just trying to get others to upgrade when they need not to. I had windows 8 for my regular brand new gateway laptop and I ended up going tow indows 7 because it would randomly switch between tiles and desktop, and it was quite buggy. Windows is a dying breed.

Resist obsolesence. Technology will always serve a purpose even if they are older, and slower. As long as that piece of technology still serves its purpose, why upgrade?
Please use plain text.
Message 15 of 25 (77 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Ghost of Sparta
Registered: 02/03/2008
Online
14123 posts
 

Re: RIP Windows XP Oct 2001 - April 2014

Apr 7, 2014

altecgodofchaos wrote:

Um yeah, you sir are just trying to get others to upgrade when they need not to. I had windows 8 for my regular brand new gateway laptop and I ended up going tow indows 7 because it would randomly switch between tiles and desktop, and it was quite buggy. Windows is a dying breed.


This is an isolated (you) issue, friend.


To teach is a moment's superiority; not to, everlasting.

Fabulous!
Please use plain text.
Message 16 of 25 (66 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
Registered: 06/25/2013
Offline
1118 posts
 

Re: RIP Windows XP Oct 2001 - April 2014

Apr 8, 2014
I still run xp service pack 1, I only use it for word processing, and because, its like, just the best os ever!!!!!!!!. . . . . Besides ubuntu
Kupo
Please use plain text.
Message 17 of 25 (51 Views)
PlayStation MVP
Registered: 12/08/2000
Online
24123 posts
 

Re: RIP Windows XP Oct 2001 - April 2014

Apr 8, 2014

altecgodofchaos wrote:

And why is it considered dead? people still use older windows even DOS still even when they are no longer supported, i still use Windows 98 SE on my IBM thinkpad for web browsing sometimes


It's because time has a nasty habit of moving forward. Like it or not, the hardware you're running XP on is at this point, HOPELESSLY out of date. Software developers are also moving from XP and focusing on Windows 8, and that software is going to utilize more resources, which your older machine just won't have. I just recently bought a video editing package, and even though it's rated for XP, I'm still not sure if my machine will actually run it. Now if you say "well I don't do such and such", it looks like I'm going to be the one to have to tell you this; you're the exception and NOT the rule. 

 

At this point the only two people still using Windows 98 are yourself and Sheldon Cooper

 

Please use plain text.
Message 18 of 25 (46 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
Registered: 12/17/2008
Offline
1575 posts
 

Re: RIP Windows XP Oct 2001 - April 2014

Apr 8, 2014

Windows is wack, and Apple is back.

 

Will prolly never buy another windows OS ever again after switching to Mac.

 

Once you go Mac, you never go back.

guitar guru 2012
Please use plain text.
Message 19 of 25 (42 Views)
PlayStation MVP
Registered: 12/06/2011
Offline
18049 posts
 

Re: RIP Windows XP Oct 2001 - April 2014

Apr 8, 2014

Windows 7 is better, but the legacy left behind by XP will never be forgotten. Computers I sometimes use actually still use XP, simply because it's that good of an OS.

 

Sad to see it go. Maybe Windows 7 will become the new norm for a strong Windows build from now on (it actually should be at this point, but yanno, dat XP).

Please use plain text.
Message 20 of 25 (39 Views)
Reply
0 Likes