Reply
Apr 18 2014
By: dulun18 Limit Breaker 22603 posts
Online

Should We Fight Piracy?

40 replies 211 views Edited Apr 18, 2014


g

 

http://www.gamasutra.com/blogs/KoenDeetman/20140416/215613/Should_We_Fight_Piracy.php

 

an interesting article..

 

from the perspective of game developers and gaming students..

 

 

What Are Internet TROLLS ?
To QUOTE- TOP RIGHT of the reply box - To MULTI-QUOTE
PSP and PS3 owner..YES...i still play the LAST GEN systems
****still waiting for The LAST GUARDIAN****
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Message 1 of 41 (211 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Ghost of Sparta
Registered: 05/27/2009
Offline
13184 posts
 

Re: Should We Fight Piracy?

Apr 18, 2014

I rather fight NSA

 photo AL2009manBanner2013_zpsd80ecc86.png
Message 2 of 41 (208 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
MVP Support
Registered: 05/12/2009
Online
9589 posts
 

Re: Should We Fight Piracy?

Apr 18, 2014

'why do these players find the pirated version more attractive?'

 

Because they don't have to pay for it, that's usually how it goes.

Message 3 of 41 (202 Views)
Fender Bender
Registered: 12/27/2008
Offline
3450 posts
 

Re: Should We Fight Piracy?

Apr 18, 2014

Absolutely.  Those who engage in piracy should be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law.

What we should not do is impose onerous demands and restrictions on law-abiding gamers in the name of anti-piracy.



Si vis pacem, para bellum.
Message 4 of 41 (201 Views)
Naughty Paw
Registered: 12/06/2011
Offline
20283 posts
 

Re: Should We Fight Piracy?

Apr 18, 2014

Emerald_Swords wrote:

Because they don't have to pay for it, that's usually how it goes.


 

Not only that, but they can avoid any and all DRM and unwanted side-options, such as uPlay.

 

It's quite attractive and if the player likes the pirated copy, they should feel the want to purchase a legitimate copy.

Message 5 of 41 (195 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
VP of Gaming
Registered: 12/08/2000
Online
28971 posts
 

Re: Should We Fight Piracy?

Apr 18, 2014

I stopped reading half way through. Why? Because it seems like they were trying to once again make the case of "different because it's video games", and that somehow that this should be an industry full of starving artists living in squalor, slaving away to bring games to the masses for "the betterment of the community". 

 

This guy actually purports the long standing fallacy of "pay what you want", which simply does not work. People will under pay, or just steal it outright. I don't think it's the industry that necessarily has to change, as much as it's the AUDIENCE that needs to. This idea that "it's different because it's video games" needs to be put to rest. Really, the whole "gamer community" has it better than they think.

Message 6 of 41 (185 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
MVP Support
Registered: 08/28/2008
Offline
10985 posts
 

Re: Should We Fight Piracy?

Apr 18, 2014

I disagree with the little diagram in the article.  Piracy IS theft.  Yes, the game is just a copy, but the developer made no money on the copy you stole.

 

Would you continue to work if your company stopped paying you, but expected you to continue working, anyway?  Piracy is pretty much the same thing.

Message 7 of 41 (156 Views)
Treasure Hunter
Registered: 04/29/2010
Offline
4910 posts
 

Re: Should We Fight Piracy?

[ Edited ]
Apr 18, 2014

CaptainAlbator wrote:

I stopped reading half way through. Why? Because it seems like they were trying to once again make the case of "different because it's video games", and that somehow that this should be an industry full of starving artists living in squalor, slaving away to bring games to the masses for "the betterment of the community". 

 

This guy actually purports the long standing fallacy of "pay what you want", which simply does not work. People will under pay, or just steal it outright. I don't think it's the industry that necessarily has to change, as much as it's the AUDIENCE that needs to. This idea that "it's different because it's video games" needs to be put to rest. Really, the whole "gamer community" has it better than they think.


I'm not saying you're wrong, but what do you think about how videogames usually (not always) cost less to make than a movie but they sell for more than three times as much as a movie? Add in the DLC and the videogame industry does pretty well. There are some videogames that are so linear, scripted and have such little actual gameplay that they're basically CG movies, but they get $60 a pop for them. I'm absolutely not supporting piracy, but I think some people don't realize how good the videogame industry has it.

semajmarc87
My YouTube | My Twitter
210+ Subscribers | 1,500+ Followers
Message 8 of 41 (154 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Limit Breaker
Registered: 12/17/2004
Online
22603 posts
 

Re: Should We Fight Piracy?

Apr 18, 2014

tollett wrote:

Absolutely.  Those who engage in piracy should be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law.

What we should not do is impose onerous demands and restrictions on law-abiding gamers in the name of anti-piracy.


 

i think soon or later ..

 

we are moving to the online world now.. most games now also have online multiplayer..

 

recently i heard a developer actually penalized hackers/glitchers in Titanfall .. i think..

 

it's an interesting idea.. isolate the hackers and let them play with each other Smiley Happy 
 let see how fun they think it is when none of them die from getting shot at....

What Are Internet TROLLS ?
To QUOTE- TOP RIGHT of the reply box - To MULTI-QUOTE
PSP and PS3 owner..YES...i still play the LAST GEN systems
****still waiting for The LAST GUARDIAN****
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Message 9 of 41 (146 Views)
MVP Support
Registered: 08/28/2008
Offline
10985 posts
 

Re: Should We Fight Piracy?

Apr 18, 2014

semajmarc87 wrote:

CaptainAlbator wrote:

I stopped reading half way through. Why? Because it seems like they were trying to once again make the case of "different because it's video games", and that somehow that this should be an industry full of starving artists living in squalor, slaving away to bring games to the masses for "the betterment of the community". 

 

This guy actually purports the long standing fallacy of "pay what you want", which simply does not work. People will under pay, or just steal it outright. I don't think it's the industry that necessarily has to change, as much as it's the AUDIENCE that needs to. This idea that "it's different because it's video games" needs to be put to rest. Really, the whole "gamer community" has it better than they think.


I'm not saying you're wrong, but what do you think about how videogames usually (not always) cost less to make than a movie but they sell for more than three times as much as a movie? Add in the DLC and the videogame industry does pretty well. There are some videogames that are so linear, scripted and have such little actual gameplay that they're basically CG movies, but they get $60 a pop for them. I'm absolutely not supporting piracy, but I think some people don't realize how good the videogame industry has it.


Movies generally spend 2 months or more in the theater raking in millions of dollars a week.  Many movies break even (make as much as they cost to make) before the end of the first week of theatrical release.  DVD and Blu-rays of theatrical releases are a SECONDARY form of revenue for the movie makers, and very rarely make much of a dent in the total revenue for any given movie.

 

Video games, on the other hand, have ONE SINGLE REVENUE STREAM.  Video game developers depend solely on gamers purchasing their games to make their money.  Game developers don't even make any money on game rentals beyond the purchase of x number of copies Gamefly or Redbox purchase.

 

So to put things on an even ground...

 

Which is the bigger ripoff?  The game you purchase for $60 and keep forever and can play over and over, and can even get some of your money back by selling/trading it?  Or the movie you spend $10 to view once at a theater?

Message 10 of 41 (131 Views)