Reply
Treasure Hunter
Registered: 01/03/2009
Offline
6925 posts
 

Re: Should We Fight Piracy?

Apr 18, 2014

I wouldn't be part of anti-piracy since I do that. Not with videogames though. I buy my games legit.

Message 11 of 41 (102 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Keyblade Wielder
Registered: 06/21/2013
Online
8007 posts
 

Re: Should We Fight Piracy?

Apr 18, 2014

dulun18 wrote:


g

 

http://www.gamasutra.com/blogs/KoenDeetman/20140416/215613/Should_We_Fight_Piracy.php

 

an interesting article..

 

from the perspective of game developers and gaming students..

 

 


No, we should fight the industry decision to make sub par games with piracy ...

Hey That Chris signature
Message 12 of 41 (101 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
Registered: 02/14/2009
Offline
5806 posts
 

Re: Should We Fight Piracy?

Apr 18, 2014

JASONxxVOORHEES wrote:


No, we should fight the industry


The Flying Grayson, Nightwing, Robin, They were about more than fight moves. They were about inspiration, comfort, trust, family. I gave that up to become a spy. a Spider man; A Tsuchigumo. I have changed.
But I'll Always be D. Grayson

N52 Grayson 6

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Message 13 of 41 (98 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
Registered: 04/29/2010
Offline
4910 posts
 

Re: Should We Fight Piracy?

[ Edited ]
Apr 18, 2014

BBurgSteve wrote:

semajmarc87 wrote:

CaptainAlbator wrote:

I stopped reading half way through. Why? Because it seems like they were trying to once again make the case of "different because it's video games", and that somehow that this should be an industry full of starving artists living in squalor, slaving away to bring games to the masses for "the betterment of the community". 

 

This guy actually purports the long standing fallacy of "pay what you want", which simply does not work. People will under pay, or just steal it outright. I don't think it's the industry that necessarily has to change, as much as it's the AUDIENCE that needs to. This idea that "it's different because it's video games" needs to be put to rest. Really, the whole "gamer community" has it better than they think.


I'm not saying you're wrong, but what do you think about how videogames usually (not always) cost less to make than a movie but they sell for more than three times as much as a movie? Add in the DLC and the videogame industry does pretty well. There are some videogames that are so linear, scripted and have such little actual gameplay that they're basically CG movies, but they get $60 a pop for them. I'm absolutely not supporting piracy, but I think some people don't realize how good the videogame industry has it.


Movies generally spend 2 months or more in the theater raking in millions of dollars a week.  Many movies break even (make as much as they cost to make) before the end of the first week of theatrical release.  DVD and Blu-rays of theatrical releases are a SECONDARY form of revenue for the movie makers, and very rarely make much of a dent in the total revenue for any given movie.

 

Video games, on the other hand, have ONE SINGLE REVENUE STREAM.  Video game developers depend solely on gamers purchasing their games to make their money.  Game developers don't even make any money on game rentals beyond the purchase of x number of copies Gamefly or Redbox purchase.

 

So to put things on an even ground...

 

Which is the bigger ripoff?  The game you purchase for $60 and keep forever and can play over and over, and can even get some of your money back by selling/trading it?  Or the movie you spend $10 to view once at a theater?


I understand what you're saying, but even if I saw the same movie three times in theatres and then bought it on Blu-ray, that still wouldn't add up to the cost of a new video game. I don't know about you, but I've never seen the same movie three times in theatres.

semajmarc87
My YouTube | My Twitter
210+ Subscribers | 1,500+ Followers
Message 14 of 41 (91 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
VP of Gaming
Registered: 12/28/2006
Offline
34138 posts
 

Re: Should We Fight Piracy?

Apr 18, 2014

as long as whatever publishers/devs decide to do doesnt bit us regular gamers in the butt im all for it.

no crazy DRM.


Message 15 of 41 (91 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
VP of Gaming
Registered: 12/08/2000
Online
28971 posts
 

Re: Should We Fight Piracy?

Apr 18, 2014

semajmarc87 wrote:

CaptainAlbator wrote:

I stopped reading half way through. Why? Because it seems like they were trying to once again make the case of "different because it's video games", and that somehow that this should be an industry full of starving artists living in squalor, slaving away to bring games to the masses for "the betterment of the community". 

 

This guy actually purports the long standing fallacy of "pay what you want", which simply does not work. People will under pay, or just steal it outright. I don't think it's the industry that necessarily has to change, as much as it's the AUDIENCE that needs to. This idea that "it's different because it's video games" needs to be put to rest. Really, the whole "gamer community" has it better than they think.


I'm not saying you're wrong, but what do you think about how videogames usually (not always) cost less to make than a movie but they sell for more than three times as much as a movie? Add in the DLC and the videogame industry does pretty well. There are some videogames that are so linear, scripted and have such little actual gameplay that they're basically CG movies, but they get $60 a pop for them. I'm absolutely not supporting piracy, but I think some people don't realize how good the videogame industry has it.


Not all games make money. Many games can lose money, or just about break even. The main difference with video games and movies is that there are far more revenue streams for films, than there are for games. Netflix, basic cable, home video, digital downloads, On Demand, Hulu, Amazon, foreign markets all make a boatload of money for a movie well after the initial release. In many instances a movie like Dredd can do better on home video and in foreign markets than it can with a domestic release. If there were those types of revenue streams for games then I might say he has a point. 

Message 16 of 41 (79 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Keyblade Wielder
Registered: 01/05/2006
Offline
10134 posts
 

Re: Should We Fight Piracy?

[ Edited ]
Apr 18, 2014
@semajmarc87

Video games also have a much smaller sales window. Movies can sell for $20 to $30 for decades. Games have a window that's measured in months before they are looked upon as bargain bin items. I've been in a debate on IGN for a few days where people are just appalled the TLOU remaster will be selling for $60. Reason being? It will be a year old game.

And on top of that, movies companies also receive revenue from network and cable broadcasts which is now extending to digital streaming services as well.
Message 17 of 41 (76 Views)
Treasure Hunter
Registered: 04/29/2010
Offline
4910 posts
 

Re: Should We Fight Piracy?

Apr 18, 2014

Murderstyle75 wrote:
@semajmarc87

Video games also have a much smaller sales window. Movies can sell for $20 to $30 for decades. Games have a window that's measured in months before they are looked upon as bargain bin items. I've been in a debate on IGN for a few days where people are just appalled the TLOU remaster will be selling for $60. Reason being? It will be a year old game.

And on top of that, movies companies also receive revenue from network and cable broadcasts which is now extending to digital streaming services as well.

I've never seen a movie sell for $30, but agree with your other points.

semajmarc87
My YouTube | My Twitter
210+ Subscribers | 1,500+ Followers
Message 18 of 41 (70 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Limit Breaker
Registered: 12/17/2004
Offline
22603 posts
 

Re: Should We Fight Piracy?

Apr 18, 2014

semajmarc87 wrote:
I've never seen a movie sell for $30, but agree with your other points.

$30 for movies..

 

it's the typical price for NEW the movie set.. usually called combo pack or something..

 

it has blu-ray, dvd, digial version and 3D of the movie. ...

http://www.amazon.com/Robocop-Blu-ray-Michael-Keaton/dp/B00JL6L4WC/ref=sr_1_11?ie=UTF8&qid=139784886...

 


i remember when Avatar movie set with 3D was on sale for like $150..  or something.. can't remember..

What Are Internet TROLLS ?
To QUOTE- TOP RIGHT of the reply box - To MULTI-QUOTE
PSP and PS3 owner..YES...i still play the LAST GEN systems
****still waiting for The LAST GUARDIAN****
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Message 19 of 41 (66 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
Registered: 04/29/2010
Offline
4910 posts
 

Re: Should We Fight Piracy?

Apr 18, 2014

dulun18 wrote:

semajmarc87 wrote:
I've never seen a movie sell for $30, but agree with your other points.

$30 for movies..

 

it's the typical price for NEW the movie set.. usually called combo pack or something..

 

it has blu-ray, dvd, digial version and 3D of the movie. ...

http://www.amazon.com/Robocop-Blu-ray-Michael-Keaton/dp/B00JL6L4WC/ref=sr_1_11?ie=UTF8&qid=139784886...

 


i remember when Avatar movie set with 3D was on sale for like $150..  or something.. can't remember..


Okay, but I thought we were talking about base prices. There are special collector's editions for video games that are $150+ too.

semajmarc87
My YouTube | My Twitter
210+ Subscribers | 1,500+ Followers
Message 20 of 41 (59 Views)
Reply
0 Likes