VP of Gaming
28807 posts

Re: Should We Fight Piracy?

[ Edited ]
Apr 18, 2014

semajmarc87 wrote:

Murderstyle75 wrote:
@semajmarc87

Video games also have a much smaller sales window. Movies can sell for $20 to $30 for decades. Games have a window that's measured in months before they are looked upon as bargain bin items. I've been in a debate on IGN for a few days where people are just appalled the TLOU remaster will be selling for $60. Reason being? It will be a year old game.

And on top of that, movies companies also receive revenue from network and cable broadcasts which is now extending to digital streaming services as well.

I've never seen a movie sell for $30, but agree with your other points.

http://www.amazon.com/Enter-Dragon-Anniversary-Edition-Blu-ray/dp/B00BPJ5Z96/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=...

Most Blu Ray movies new are $30, especially if you buy the combo pack with digital download. Disney might be a unique case, but about once a decade you have the privilige of buying those all over again for full price. It shows you that even forty years later, you will still pay over $30 for a movie.  Also keep in mind that the average movie ticket price in 1973 when Enter the Dragon was released was $1.72. 

Message 21 of 41 (109 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
4905 posts

[ Edited ]
Apr 18, 2014

CaptainAlbator wrote:

semajmarc87 wrote:

Murderstyle75 wrote:
@semajmarc87

Video games also have a much smaller sales window. Movies can sell for $20 to $30 for decades. Games have a window that's measured in months before they are looked upon as bargain bin items. I've been in a debate on IGN for a few days where people are just appalled the TLOU remaster will be selling for $60. Reason being? It will be a year old game.

And on top of that, movies companies also receive revenue from network and cable broadcasts which is now extending to digital streaming services as well.

I've never seen a movie sell for $30, but agree with your other points.

http://www.amazon.com/Enter-Dragon-Anniversary-Edition-Blu-ray/dp/B00BPJ5Z96/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=...

Most Blu Ray movies new are $30, especially if you buy the combo pack with digital download. Disney might be a unique case, but about once a decade you have the privilige of buying those all over again for full price. 

I'm looking at BestBuy.com right now and none of their newly released Blu-rays are over $20. Anyway, he said that movies will sell for $20-$30 for decades. You can find pretty much any movie that's 10+ years old for $10 or less on Blu-ray. Oh well, I guess I'm just splitting hairs.

semajmarc87
My YouTube | My Twitter
210+ Subscribers | 1,500+ Followers
Message 22 of 41 (106 Views)
0 Likes
Keyblade Wielder
8183 posts

Apr 18, 2014
I have purchased every game I own.

However how would we fight piracy? We don't, the game developement industry does.
With drm, online monitoring and courtrooms. The first two, much to the dislike of the gamer who forks out the retail price.

As console manufacturers and developers move to pc architecture, the ability to limit priacy will not keep pace with the ability to pirate.

I can't fight piracy, and the industry can only do so marginally. And the margin is widening.

I am not saying companies should not protect their product. I am saying they can't without disgruntling their paying base.
_____________________________________________________________________________________
With few exceptions, true suppression, repression and oppression is often fueled by fear, not by logic or reasonable morality
Message 23 of 41 (97 Views)
0 Likes
Keyblade Wielder
7942 posts

Apr 18, 2014

An anarchist defending the system?

Hey That Chris signature
Message 24 of 41 (92 Views)
0 Likes
Keyblade Wielder
8183 posts

Apr 18, 2014
Did I defend the "system" or did I defend the hard work of individuals?

You may never know...
_____________________________________________________________________________________
With few exceptions, true suppression, repression and oppression is often fueled by fear, not by logic or reasonable morality
Message 25 of 41 (88 Views)
0 Likes
Keyblade Wielder
7942 posts

Apr 18, 2014

Whoever it was, they were definitely using a governmental based law system...

Hey That Chris signature
Message 26 of 41 (69 Views)
0 Likes
Ghost of Sparta
13569 posts

Apr 18, 2014

I'm against video game and movie piracy. But, I support music piracy, as this has proven to be an effective to help spread the music of less known artists. 

Message 27 of 41 (67 Views)
0 Likes
Keyblade Wielder
8183 posts

Apr 18, 2014
On topic Jason. I won't be engaging you further.
Message 28 of 41 (64 Views)
0 Likes
Ghost of Sparta
10644 posts

Apr 18, 2014
In todays world it is obvious that everything is going digital, which is completely idiotic in my personal opinion. Basically, if you would not like to spend month, years, and thousands if not millions of dollars to create a product and get it introduced to whatever digital market you are targeting so everyone can just steal it for free, then yes it should be fought. No matter the product.
Message 29 of 41 (58 Views)
0 Likes
Keyblade Wielder
10192 posts

Apr 18, 2014
Semajmarc87

Here is Apocolypse Now on sale for $35. Regular price is $40.
http://m.bestbuy.com/m/e/product/detail.jsp?skuId=1253582&pid=&ev=product+view

Look up Blu-Ray movies like The Shining and Scarface and they are $20 and currently on sale for $15. The Wall is something like $22 on DVD.
Message 30 of 41 (53 Views)
0 Likes