Do you mean 
PlayStation MVP
3170 posts

Re: Should We Fight Piracy?

[ Edited ]
Apr 18, 2014

Murderstyle75 wrote:
Semajmarc87

Here is Apocolypse Now on sale for $35. Regular price is $40.
http://m.bestbuy.com/m/e/product/detail.jsp?skuId=1253582&pid=&ev=product+view

Look up Blu-Ray movies like The Shining and Scarface and they are $20 and currently on sale for $15. The Wall is something like $22 on DVD.

The problem is that you keep showing me special editions of all these movies and then comparing it to a regular edition of a video game. We can compare those to Special Editions of videogames which usually start at about $80 and get close to $200 if you want. Let's look at a similar movie called "Platoon" (I couldn't find a regular edition of Apocolypse Now). Here it is at Best Buy for $5.99. Or how about Full Metal Jacket for $7.99 (this one's even a "deluxe edition"). The cheapest that I ever see unopened videogames for still-in-production consoles is like $10. And that's usually like old sports games that nobody wants.

PlayStation MVP | PS Plus member | BETA Tester | YouTube Partner www.twitter.com/semajmarc87 | www.youtube.com/semajmarc87
2,000+ followers | 125+ subscribers
Message 31 of 41 (109 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
25451 posts

[ Edited ]
Apr 18, 2014

Aeryn_James wrote:
I have purchased every game I own.

However how would we fight piracy? We don't, the game developement industry does.
With drm, online monitoring and courtrooms. The first two, much to the dislike of the gamer who forks out the retail price.

As console manufacturers and developers move to pc architecture, the ability to limit priacy will not keep pace with the ability to pirate.

I can't fight piracy, and the industry can only do so marginally. And the margin is widening.

I am not saying companies should not protect their product. I am saying they can't without disgruntling their paying base.

You're playing both sides of the coin. "I can't fight piracy (wink, wink)...I'm not saying they should protect their product (nudge, nudge)... ". It's as if you WANT to say you're against piracy, but you'd like for it to be easy for you to do so in case you ever felt like it.  You want to know how you personally "fight piracy"? By purchasing authentic games. When you purchase legit games, you are showing those developers that like what they do, and they should be paid for. 

You can't have it both ways, and the industry has every right to protect their work, just as everyone else does. The digital age has given us the false perception that everything is open season, and if the creator doesn't like it then tough **bleep**. I may be an old fart, but I grew up believing that when you work for something you should be paid for your efforts, and no Orwellian gamer logic platitude should change that. 

Message 32 of 41 (93 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1389 posts

Apr 19, 2014

You can find exceptions to every rule. Outliers really prove nothing. 

Everyone is against piracy.  I just think that imposing restrictions on honest gamers is the wrong way to do it.  How about prosecuting them?

XBOX Live gamertag: GUN5L1NGER
Frontier Communications is America's worst ISP, according to Netflix.
Message 33 of 41 (78 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5724 posts

Apr 19, 2014

Yes we should and here is why. It hurts us all in the long run.

sony playstation gif photo: Playstation. tumblr_m1ilz5Zv2H1qk2rgdo1_500_large.gif
Message 34 of 41 (73 Views)
0 Likes
Keyblade Wielder
10001 posts

Apr 19, 2014
Semajmarc87

Neither The Shining or Scarface were special editions. Just standard Blu-Ray. And even movies like Full Metal Jacket. Even after grossing over $46 million in 1987 in the theaters. How many more millions do you think the film made on cable, network, home video and streaming through the years?

And show me one console game from 1987 that you can walk into Best Buy and get for any price let alone $7.99. And show me games released in the 70's, 80's or even the 90's that you can buy $30 and $40 special editions for. Most video game special editions are gone in a matter of weeks. Others are gone in days. Some are never seen beyond preorder copies.

Movies see sales for decades with different editions at various prices. Games are dead in a matter of months, sometimes weeks. Some might get an ultimate edition to try and sell another few hundred thousand copies but a after that, the game is dead.
Message 35 of 41 (67 Views)
PlayStation MVP
3170 posts

Apr 19, 2014

Murderstyle75 wrote:
Semajmarc87

Neither The Shining or Scarface were special editions. Just standard Blu-Ray. And even movies like Full Metal Jacket. Even after grossing over $46 million in 1987 in the theaters. How many more millions do you think the film made on cable, network, home video and streaming through the years?

And show me one console game from 1987 that you can walk into Best Buy and get for any price let alone $7.99. And show me games released in the 70's, 80's or even the 90's that you can buy $30 and $40 special editions for. Most video game special editions are gone in a matter of weeks. Others are gone in days. Some are never seen beyond preorder copies.

Movies see sales for decades with different editions at various prices. Games are dead in a matter of months, sometimes weeks. Some might get an ultimate edition to try and sell another few hundred thousand copies but a after that, the game is dead.

I'm not sure what you're talking about here because I never mentioned those movies and I don't remember you mentioning them either so...

So I showed how you tried to bend facts when you claimed that "decades old" movies sell for $30 so you immediately brush that under the rug and try to shift the topic to movie theatres?

You might be interested to know that there are other places in this universe that sell videogames besides Best Buy. Developers can and do rerelease very old games in digital format and sometimes in physical format as well. Nothing is stopping any developer from rereleasing special editions of very old games, and it happens sometimes. Apparently Nintendo sells digital copies of many of their old games on their store. I'd also venture to guess that it happens a lot on PC as well. More developers should probably do it.

"Crappy games are dead in a matter of months, sometimes weeks." There. I fixed that for you.

PlayStation MVP | PS Plus member | BETA Tester | YouTube Partner www.twitter.com/semajmarc87 | www.youtube.com/semajmarc87
2,000+ followers | 125+ subscribers
Message 36 of 41 (59 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
4244 posts

Apr 19, 2014

Should we? Yes. But it isn't feasible, no matter what you do, pirates always will find a way around it, and it just causes problems for those that weren't going to pirate at all.

Message 37 of 41 (56 Views)
0 Likes
Keyblade Wielder
10001 posts

Apr 19, 2014
@semajmarc87

Yes I mentioned both of those movies in the sentence right underneath the link I provided for Apocolypse Now. Perhaps you should read entire posts before hitting the quote button to tell me why I'm wrong. You tell me I keep showing you special editions while comparing them to regular editions of video games. I also showed you regular editions which you apparently just ignored.

And I'm not dusting anything under the rug. Funny how you bold the first sentence of the paragraph where I again talk about Special Editions while ignoring the rest. And theater money was the original **bleep** point before I joined the debate. I was adding to what was already said.

So here. Let's make it easier for you to understand

Movies see profit from

Box Office sales which are usually higher then any video game will bring in from just software sales.

DVD's and Blu-Ray which rarely ever go out of print

Cable Broadcasts

Network Television Broadcasts

Internet Streaming Services

Public viewings at nightclubs long after the movie is out of the theater. (I saw Pulp Fiction just last week at a Brew & View)

Video games make money from software sales and rentals alone which is very short lived. Do you want to know why developers don't keep their games out for years and years? Because they don't sell to anybody besides a niche market which is why the few retro games you see are digital only. There is not enough demand for retail versions let alone special editions, years later.

And some of the best games I have ever played were in the bargain bins within three to six months of release. For they didn't have the marketing budgets or mindless adolescent hype like a COD.
Message 38 of 41 (45 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
666 posts

Apr 19, 2014

I did a huge project about piracy while in school and ultimately came to the conclussion it is grossley overblown by studios.

Fighting piracy is fine but do not fight those who obtain pirated goods. Suing someone for $750,000 for illegally downloading a $1 song is beyond ridiculous. Plus the downloader isnt to blame, the uploader and the host site is. Suing downloaders is not battling piracy.

If you want to end piracy bring production factories to America where we can watch over what is done and where we do have laws in place. SO if someone illegally uploads a blu ray or something they can be properly dealt with. Instead we outsource to countries with no laws preventing it where they upload the files and then blame people for obtaining said files. Wrong. 

Most piracy is done oversees by factory workers hence blu rays and stuff leaking weeks even months earlier. Again, with factories here, we could drastically cut down on piracy as well as create several jobs within the country. I have several more points to make about the grey areas of what is legal and what isnt but I can get into that later. Technically watching a movie with a group of friends is illegal but we all do it.

Message 39 of 41 (41 Views)
Fender Bender
2589 posts

[ Edited ]
Apr 19, 2014

Yes we should Fight Piracy. But we should do it the way steam and Playstation is doing it today. Sales! We talk about a limited window for game sales, but up to the present time. We never saw any big game sales. They sold them then they were gone off the shelfs. Not all but i feel a big part of Piracy is from people that cant afford the price. The greatest hits games at $19.99 slowed it a lot. But you have to think sub $10 games will deal another big blow to Piracy.

I would also like to see a tax credit for Devs that have lowered the cost of games. How could it hurt to sell games for $9.99 or less after 3-5 years. Many of us are buying games on sale we would never have picked up new. Is it the smaller proffit that makes this not worth the trouble to Devs? I dont know but it is proffit and it will halp low income people stay honest.

Take the PS3 you could double or triple the life of it by turning it into a steam box. Old games sell you just have to be willing to lower the price. Take $10 off a year and people will continue to buy it. Turn it digital only after a year and keep it going. Why is it that long turm game sells are Taboo. With Retail yes because of production cost. But the new digital market there is no reason not to.

Getting Older doesn't mean it's GAME OVER
Message 40 of 41 (39 Views)
0 Likes