Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Apr 08 2013
By: Murderstyle75 Keyblade Wielder 9599 posts

Sounds like Microsoft is looking to fail.

17 replies 210 views Edited Apr 8, 2013
http://m.gamespot.com/news/subscription-based-xbox-720-priced-at-300-with-500-standard-model-6406544

Noted Windows blogger Paul Thurrott has claimed during the latest What The Tech episode (via NeoGAF) that the Xbox 720 will launch in November beginning at $300 for a subscription-based model. A standard model will sell for around $500, he said.

He described the platform overall as "expensive."

The Xbox 720 won't be the only new Xbox on shelves this season, Thurrott claimed. The writer said Microsoft is planning a $99 "Stingray" Xbox 360. He did not provide any further information about this platform.

Thurrott also shared information about the Xbox 720's reported always-online requirement. He said this a confirmed feature for the platform, claiming the system's notes specifically state that the Xbox 720 "must be Internet-connected to use."

The Xbox 720 reportedly stops functioning if an Internet connection drops for three minutes.

As for when the Xbox 720 could be announced, Thurrott said Microsoft is planning a reveal event on May 21. This matches up with an recent analyst report suggesting Microsoft was readying a reveal next month.

The blogger added that Microsoft will share further information about the Xbox 720 during two June events: the Electronic Entertainment Expo and the Build 2013 developer conference.

Thurrott further claimed that Microsoft was working on an entertainment-focused Xbox that would not play games. He said this device was called "Yumo," and speculated that Microsoft decided not to pursue this so as not to confuse the market.

A Microsoft representative was not immediately available to comment.

Thurrott is a noted Microsoft insider and runs Paul Thurrott's Supersite for Windows.
Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 18 (210 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
11160 posts

Re: Sounds like Microsoft is looking to fail.

Apr 8, 2013

I'm looking forward to having all of my friends drop Xbox for Playstation if this stuff is true.

It means I'll have people to wait in line with at the PS4 launch.

R.I.P. Off-Topic
04/09/2014 - Never Forget
Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 18 (199 Views)
Survivor
2607 posts

Apr 8, 2013

Yeah, the PS4 easily won this generation just by showing up and not being a huge jerk.

Deadly Neurotoxin!
 photo rsz_1rsz_11rsz_1000px-fpsword_zps44b9ca31.png
Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 18 (196 Views)
PlayStation MVP
18470 posts

Apr 8, 2013
No matter what happens at the new Xbox reveal, it's going to be interesting. Those who aren't very interested in online play and the likes are most likely going to drop their Xbox and go find something else, like the PS4. Plus, I'd like to see what the new Xbox is going to bring to the table in order to distinguish itself from the PS4, a la the PS4's shift to a more social online structure and the like.

It would also be interesting to see a new Xbox controller; how (if at all) is Microsoft going to integrate a new controller into the new system? Will Kinect be a huge part of the new system?

Regardless of the turnout, I'd very much like to hear about what they plan. My allegiance to Sony's system is pretty strong, so if the PS4 ends up being the "victor" of the next console generation, then I'm all for that. If the Xbox makes it ahead of the PS4, even with these rumors of always-online and no used games, then I'll still respect the Xbox console, but still keep my PlayStation preference. :smileyhappy:
Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 18 (191 Views)
Splicer
64 posts

Apr 8, 2013
I'm getting a PS4 for sure but I still want to know what Microsoft does with Xbox. I'm tired of rumors just announce the dang thing.
[URL=http://psnprofiles.com/Fireball_916][IMG]http://card.psnprofiles.com/1/Fireball_916.png[/IMG][/URL]

Points2Shop (Earn Free Stuff)
Please use plain text.
Message 5 of 18 (183 Views)
0 Likes
Keyblade Wielder
9599 posts

Apr 8, 2013
Even people who do play online are angry about the rumors and since Microsoft is not doing a thing to squash them, there is a good chance they are real. That's a very bad PR move and judging by pretty much the entire attitude on the Internet, Sony couldn't buy this kind of publicity. I'm an online gamer and this would be useless to me since I do suspend my Internet service in the summer. And so much for hooking the console in my van for the kids when we take long trips.

The Xbox brand has become one huge money pit and if the always online rumors are true, you can bet that its to boost advertising profits from the Xbox dashboard as well as to boost the sale of Xbox Live Gold.
Please use plain text.
Message 6 of 18 (178 Views)
Treasure Hunter
6385 posts

[ Edited ]
Apr 8, 2013

Murderstyle75 wrote:
http://m.gamespot.com/news/subscription-based-xbox-720-priced-at-300-with-500-standard-model-6406544

Noted Windows blogger Paul Thurrott has claimed during the latest What The Tech episode (via NeoGAF) that the Xbox 720 will launch in November beginning at $300 for a subscription-based model. A standard model will sell for around $500, he said.

He described the platform overall as "expensive."

The Xbox 720 won't be the only new Xbox on shelves this season, Thurrott claimed. The writer said Microsoft is planning a $99 "Stingray" Xbox 360. He did not provide any further information about this platform.

Thurrott also shared information about the Xbox 720's reported always-online requirement. He said this a confirmed feature for the platform, claiming the system's notes specifically state that the Xbox 720 "must be Internet-connected to use."

The Xbox 720 reportedly stops functioning if an Internet connection drops for three minutes.

As for when the Xbox 720 could be announced, Thurrott said Microsoft is planning a reveal event on May 21. This matches up with an recent analyst report suggesting Microsoft was readying a reveal next month.

The blogger added that Microsoft will share further information about the Xbox 720 during two June events: the Electronic Entertainment Expo and the Build 2013 developer conference.

Thurrott further claimed that Microsoft was working on an entertainment-focused Xbox that would not play games. He said this device was called "Yumo," and speculated that Microsoft decided not to pursue this so as not to confuse the market.

A Microsoft representative was not immediately available to comment.

Thurrott is a noted Microsoft insider and runs Paul Thurrott's Supersite for Windows.

lol.. 500 for the offline only version haha..wth    I have a suggestion for paul thurrot's take all your money and invest it  in coffee and  not only will you  be rich whn pull it back out,  you'll be drinking it  for free when you lose your  job at MS.... Thank me later mr thurrots

this is going to fall hard, never force a bill on the  customer..  Because you destroy their finances and  personal lesuire  income. a  video game  console is not that big of a deal to  force people to pay to play it, with games already 60$. They also nelgect  digital online devs, they lose profits

I understand  they want  a clean online, But this a little  over the top..

Mcbuttz78

vp-psn legioniaree group.

Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past, Wisdom is of the future

Please use plain text.
Message 7 of 18 (171 Views)
0 Likes
Keyblade Wielder
9599 posts

Apr 8, 2013
Actually 500.00 will have online access however the 300.00 will have a contract tied to it of at least 15.00 a month for Xbox Live over the course of two years. This would also be for a single account bringing the grand total of the system to at least 660.00 after two years.

The real kicker though will be if you need an online connection just to play offline single player games.

Please use plain text.
Message 8 of 18 (163 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
11435 posts

[ Edited ]
Apr 8, 2013

The PlayStation 4 is the only next generation video game console that I’m looking forward to right now. I’m sure that makes some people happy but I would be lying if I said that I wasn’t just a little bit concerned about this. I cannot remember a video game generation in which I was only interested in ONE video game console. There has, up until recently, always been SOMETHING that has encouraged me to look at what the many different publishers and developers were working on in different corners of the video game industry and consider purchasing it. In my honest opinion, companies seem to be making more and more decisions these days that repel potential customers regardless of the overall quality of their products.

Please use plain text.
Message 9 of 18 (156 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
2392 posts

Apr 8, 2013

I never understood why anyone bought the Xbox360.  They originally said that it was going to have an HD DVD player built in for games, and all the systems were supposed to come with hard drives.  Then because they were racing against the clock to be the first system out they left a lot of important stuff out.  The Red Ring of Death was due to the system being rushed as well.  One of my friends is on his sixth Xbox360 because of getting the RROD five times before.

Please use plain text.
Message 10 of 18 (123 Views)
0 Likes