Apr 04 2013
By: PapaWarlock PlayStation MVP 11160 posts

Square-Enix: Wada Out. Company Under Review

10 replies 215 views Edited Apr 4, 2013

Over on IGN, there have been a couple of articles about the upcoming changes to Square-Enix as a company. Recent Square-Enix games have not done well and so, finally, Yoichi Wada will resign from the company, effective sometime in June, 2013. The new in-coming President will be Yosuke Matsuda, who joined the company in 2001.

For the SE fiscal year 2013, which ends March 31, Square-Enix will post roughly a 13billion Yen loss, which is nearly 4X more than previously estimates, which placed losses around 3.5billion Yen. Under Wada, Square-Enix aquired Taitos and Eidos Interactive. These aquisitions gave them access to several Western franchises such as Tomb Raider, Hit Man, Deus Ex, Thief and Legacy of Kain.

Over the last 7 years or so, Square has struggled to develop games in a timely fashion. Final Fantasy XIII took 5 years to develop and publish, while Final Fantasy Versus XIII (rumored to still be in production) has taken over 7 years and is still not out. Under SE, Final Fantasy XI, Final Fantasy XIV and Dragon Quest X were all made into MMOs. FF XI enjoyed moderate success but the original launch of  FF XIV was considered to be an epic failure and has since been re-vamped heavily and is expected to re-release this year.

The new SE President has been quoted as saying "“reviewing all Square Enix duties, business and assets on a zero-based budgeting standpoint.” Matsuda also said that “due to the radical change of environment, I’d like to fundamentally review what works and what doesn’t work for our company, then cast all of our resources towards extending what makes us successful and thoroughly squeezing out what doesn’t.”

However what this means remains to be seen. What do you guys think this will mean for SE franchises such as Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest? How about other recent aquisitions like Hitman and Tomb Raider? Do you think we'll see Final Fantasy Versus XIII or learn it's real fate? Will Matsuda be able to turn Square-Enix around after the massive botching of the former President?

Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 11 (215 Views)
Uncharted Territory
1507 posts

Re: Square-Enix: Wada Out. Company Under Review

Apr 4, 2013

I enjoyed both Deus Ex: HR and Hitman: Absolution.

Would have bought Tomb Raider, but I'm strapped for cash and am awaiting the forums/internet to come alive with everyones take on the American version of Soul Sacrifice.

I sure hope FFX HD comes out on time, and sure the **bleep** hope we see Legacy of Kain games available for digital download on the Vita in NA. That and I hope the rumor of a new Legacy of Kain game comes true.

Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 11 (198 Views)
I Only Post Everything
1043 posts

Apr 4, 2013

I know it is not all of square-enixs problems but it seems to me they stoped listening to there customers request on a lot of things people wanted from them. Like remake this game or that one. You all but get a no. Put this game or that game on psn. You get no answer. Go back to you roots for rpg game productions. Then they do it the way they want anyway instead. To name a few things I am hearing and thinking myself. I think that square-enix got a little high on the hill and arrogant. They seem to think everything they make will sell just because they made it. As in all business you have to see what the customer wants from you and at lest give them a little bit of it. For years they were know as the people that would not remake ff7. Right now a lot of people are asking for things that they will not produce or even give a answer to. With me they are losing a lot of there credibility and respect with there coustomers. When you get aggravated with a company you do not buy from them as much. It is a shame because they are one of the best at what they do.

Happy Gaming Everyone. 

Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 11 (179 Views)
0 Likes
Welcoming Committee
5577 posts

Apr 4, 2013
I hope it doesn't affect the Kingdom Hearts collection or FF X collection, although I am sure it won't, but I am not sure exactly what square enix is thinking sometimes, I mean they consider Tomb Raider a disappointment because it sold 3.4 million copies in 4 weeks and they never included digital sales. so in 4 weeks they sold 3.4 million + digital copies and they consider it a disappointment.

Well, I hope with this new change we will still see some great games from square enix.
Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 11 (174 Views)
Wastelander
680 posts

Apr 4, 2013
They also gave the North American boss the boot.

I think Square Enix needs this. If it turns out to be a reinvention or a buckling down on development times, they need to focus on what works. Dragon Quest and Final Fantasy both suffered black eyes these last couple of years. So they might have to stay away from the MMO scene since it was DQX and FFXIV that both flopped. Remakes seem to do well but they may spend too much time and money on them. Their international branches seem to be doing well by normal standards so they need more from them.

They also need to get rid of some quirks they have. Spin offs, remixes and director cuts are cool, but only if you don't need every console under the sun to play them. Simultaneous worldwide releases would also be appreciated. Online RPGs don't always have to be MMOs. Sometimes simple co-op is all we need. They rest of the world likes specially editions too.

They just need to be more considerate and modern to succeed.
Please use plain text.
Message 5 of 11 (167 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1043 posts

Apr 4, 2013

I just wish gaming in general and square-enix would listen to us gamers about what we would like to see them produce. A lot of request in the past years have been ignored or not replied to. I know a lot of people are filling that they do not care about what we want out of gaming anymore. And if you think about it we are the ones that buy and keep things going for them. They could at lest answer the questions. No reply is is worst than a bad answer. Then you just fill like you have been ignored.

Happy Gaming.

Please use plain text.
Message 6 of 11 (159 Views)
Uncharted Territory
1507 posts

Apr 4, 2013

PapaWarlock wrote:

These aquisitions gave them access to several Western franchises such as Tomb Raider, Hit Man, Deus Ex, Thief and Legacy of Kain.

I guess my biggest fear is seeing this happen and then the thought of them thinking, "Oh this didn't work.", and then they just stop making them. I'd hope they would at least sell the franchise off to a competent studio. I'd hate to see these games die.

Please use plain text.
Message 7 of 11 (137 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
14959 posts

Apr 4, 2013

I think this is sorely needed.... SE has not been the best developer or publisher, suffice it to say that some of the games that have been released have been successful. Like Tomb Raider and Hitman:Absolution.

Hopefully this will put them back on the fast track to making games that we actually want.

Cognitive Dissonance - The ability to understand multiple viewpoints even if they conflict with one another - and still use critical thinking, logical thought, and common sense to come to the realization that only ONE is the correct one and the others are wrong.

Furiously Chaosing
Please use plain text.
Message 8 of 11 (136 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
838 posts

Apr 7, 2013

gR3yGh051 wrote:

I think this is sorely needed.... SE has not been the best developer or publisher, suffice it to say that some of the games that have been released have been successful. Like Tomb Raider and Hitman:Absolution.

Hopefully this will put them back on the fast track to making games that we actually want.

Those franchises were successful and well known before Eidos became part of Square Enix. Using those games, is not the best example. 

Please use plain text.
Message 9 of 11 (63 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
889 posts

Apr 7, 2013

I would like to see SE start getting down to business. Ever since Squaresoft merged with Enix, the quality has dropped significantly IMO. That merge happened like 10 years ago.  There was a time when Squaresoft was untouchable, the SNES and PSone days.

I honestly can't tell you what needs to be done to improve the company because I don't have a business degree. The US games market has changed and favors western games now so it was smart of SE to obtain a western studio. That won't be enough though. I would like to see Square back on the throne again as the king of RPG studios.

I am one person who doesn't think we need a remake of previous Final Fantasy games like VII and the reason why it hasn't been done yet is because they can't do it justice. The original game has prerendered backgrounds with polygon characters on top, that's how we got all those zoomed out shots to show the scale of things. That wouldn't work with today's tech and Square knows they can't do justice to a remake.

photo wizard_zps4173ab5c.png
Please use plain text.
Message 10 of 11 (59 Views)
0 Likes