Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Apr 08 2014
By: rouward Fender Bender 4028 posts

Swear words in videogames

29 replies 274 views Edited Apr 8, 2014

I remember back when I played GTAV story mode (and its previous games) and other action/shooter games that they swear a lot, but because I'm Asian and not interest in bad things such as swear words, I do not really understand what it means (so I'm not really offended) and always thought those are just their expressions (sometimes it's pretty hilarious!).

Filipino | GT6 Player | White PS3 Super Slim | PC Technician
Message 1 of 30 (274 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
7393 posts

Re: Swear words in videogames

Apr 8, 2014

It's basically their expressions, though most of the time it's just derrogatory terms. 

Message 2 of 30 (261 Views)
0 Likes
Welcoming Committee
11982 posts

Apr 8, 2014

I do not swear as a choice. And based from observations, it is used in different ways. Some use it in an experssion of anger or dissatisfaction towards others, such as insults and profanity. Some use it for acceptance, you if use it with friends in a certain manner. But everyone has their own use for it. I myself don't understand why these words are necessary for speech in the first place. 

Swearing in video games uses this in particular for the reasons I've mentioned. Sometimes allies may swear to prove strength to others. Enemeies may swear at each other to show hatred or to express pain.

Message 3 of 30 (257 Views)
Treasure Hunter
3336 posts

Apr 8, 2014

I once had a friend ask me why I didn't swear. My response was simply that like anything else. It's learned behaviour and I choose not to learn to use it.

I don't really see the point of using swear words or derogatory terms. Especially for the soul purpose of tearing down or instulting folks for ones own self gratification. Seems silly and a wee bit immature.

My parents taught me to respect myself and in turn I repect people regardless of how I may personally feel towards them. It's just how I was raised.:womanhappy:

=+=Irresponsible kids are raised by irresponsible parents who were once irresponsible kids themselves.The vicious cycle continues.=+=
Message 4 of 30 (235 Views)
PlayStation MVP
4224 posts

Apr 8, 2014

I try not to swear around mixed company. But, I do with my brother / friends. Then there is always the exclaimed F bomb out of anger or even excitement. It's just become a bad habit. I know a few people who are offended by curse words, yet do not bat an eye at violence and gore. I also find it odd that there is some pretty gruesome images alllowed on cable TV, yet a lot of swear words are banned.

For example, during "The Talking Dead," one of the show runners said they had a take in a scene where the character Rick dropped the F bomb. Of course, they did not use this take, because it was not allowed. I looked at my spouse and said "It's weird that it is okay for them to show one man tearing out another man's neck, with his teeth, yet they can't say the F word."

On the other hand, I know people who cuss, but turn their heads at gore. If game companies had the extra budget to include the feature, they should start putting in swear / gore filters in games -- even if it just sells a few more thousand copies. At least people could experience the stories without being turned off by swear words and/or gore.

For a good chuckle, check out the video "The History of the F Word." I saw it back in 2003, but I'm sure it's on YouTube by now.

"You must make a friend of horror. Horror and moral terror are your friends. If they are not then they are enemies to be feared."

Message 5 of 30 (227 Views)
Treasure Hunter
3336 posts

Apr 8, 2014

I'd say it pretty much all comes down to the person calling the shots when it comes to editing out things they find offensive.

They don't like swear words they're going to go. They don't like certain gore scenes they're going to go. Many things end up on the editing floor due to folks opinions about things and their own preference.:womanhappy:

=+=Irresponsible kids are raised by irresponsible parents who were once irresponsible kids themselves.The vicious cycle continues.=+=
Message 6 of 30 (220 Views)
Uncharted Territory
1640 posts

Apr 8, 2014
In assassins creed you can turn blood off
Just a dynasty warriors addict
Message 7 of 30 (213 Views)
PlayStation MVP
1802 posts

Apr 8, 2014

HorrorGod wrote:

I try not to swear around mixed company. But, I do with my brother / friends. Then there is always the exclaimed F bomb out of anger or even excitement. It's just become a bad habit. I know a few people who are offended by curse words, yet do not bat an eye at violence and gore. I also find it odd that there is some pretty gruesome images alllowed on cable TV, yet a lot of swear words are banned.

For example, during "The Talking Dead," one of the show runners said they had a take in a scene where the character Rick dropped the F bomb. Of course, they did not use this take, because it was not allowed. I looked at my spouse and said "It's weird that it is okay for them to show one man tearing out another man's neck, with his teeth, yet they can't say the F word."

On the other hand, I know people who cuss, but turn their heads at gore. If game companies had the extra budget to include the feature, they should start putting in swear / gore filters in games -- even if it just sells a few more thousand copies. At least people could experience the stories without being turned off by swear words and/or gore.

For a good chuckle, check out the video "The History of the F Word." I saw it back in 2003, but I'm sure it's on YouTube by now.

But in that case, the words are real; the violence isn't.  That's why it's okay for some people.  The same applies for me with nudity.  Like, look at Titanic (1997).  No one died during the filming of the movie, but there was real life nudity, and real life (though mild) cursing.  That's why violence in games and movies won't ever get to me.

"Now Sid, don't you blame the movies. Movies don't create psychos. Movies make psychos more creative."
Message 8 of 30 (212 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
16582 posts

Apr 8, 2014

goodSuM wrote:

HorrorGod wrote:

But in that case, the words are real; the violence isn't.  That's why it's okay for some people.  The same applies for me with nudity.  Like, look at Titanic (1997).  No one died during the filming of the movie, but there was real life nudity, and real life (though mild) cursing.  That's why violence in games and movies won't ever get to me.

Soooo, what you're saying is.... watch Hentai?
Message 9 of 30 (185 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
1802 posts

Apr 8, 2014

^^  That's a whole other topic althogether.  Haha!

Though I don't know why anyone ever would...  (No offense to anyone who does)

"Now Sid, don't you blame the movies. Movies don't create psychos. Movies make psychos more creative."
Message 10 of 30 (176 Views)
0 Likes