Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
PlayStation MVP
4164 posts

Re: Swear words in videogames

Apr 8, 2014

Black_MagicWoman wrote:

I'd say it pretty much all comes down to the person calling the shots when it comes to editing out things they find offensive.

They don't like swear words they're going to go. They don't like certain gore scenes they're going to go. Many things end up on the editing floor due to folks opinions about things and their own preference.:womanhappy:

True, but not always. There are things you can and can't do on Cable TV (AMC, FX, TBS, SyFy, etc.) Things are even more stricked on Network channels (FOX, NBC, ABC, CBS, etc.) And of course, there are many more things people can say / do with Premium Channels (HBO, Showtime, Starz, etc.)

In the example I gave, the show runners enjoy pushing the show's content as much as they can, within the channel's rules (or FCC).

@Goods44 That is an excellent way of looking at it. I guess some people are just much more sensitive to graphic images / foul language, than others, even if only acted out in a video game, movie, or tv show.

"You must make a friend of horror. Horror and moral terror are your friends. If they are not then they are enemies to be feared."

Please use plain text.
Message 11 of 30 (147 Views)
Welcoming Committee
8648 posts

[ Edited ]
Apr 9, 2014

ossiecastro5 wrote:

I do not swear as a choice. And based from observations, it is used in different ways. Some use it in an experssion of anger or dissatisfaction towards others, such as insults and profanity. Some use it for acceptance, you if use it with friends in a certain manner. But everyone has their own use for it. I myself don't understand why these words are necessary for speech in the first place. 

Swearing in video games uses this in particular for the reasons I've mentioned. Sometimes allies may swear to prove strength to others. Enemeies may swear at each other to show hatred or to express pain.

Yep. It's all in how it's used. Take George Carlin's 'Seven Dirty Words' video for example, he shows it to great effect just how one can change the meaning of a word by how it's said. 

As for swearing, I'm guilty of using them too much... been trying to cut back though. Generally been trying to keep them for moments of shock, surprise, or if I get hurt. And I don't swear around kids or around people who don't like that kind of language.

Please use plain text.
Message 12 of 30 (144 Views)
Uncharted Territory
1766 posts

[ Edited ]
Apr 8, 2014

Black_MagicWoman wrote:

I once had a friend ask me why I didn't swear. My response was simply that like anything else. It's learned behaviour and I choose not to learn to use it.

I don't really see the point of using swear words or derogatory terms. Especially for the soul purpose of tearing down or instulting folks for ones own self gratification. Seems silly and a wee bit immature.

My parents taught me to respect myself and in turn I repect people regardless of how I may personally feel towards them. It's just how I was raised.:womanhappy:

Same here. I don't specifically have a problem with swearing...... but for me personally, it just feels unprofessional if I myself try to say it (which is why I "try" to avoid swearing). I was born in a not-so-good environment (Gary, Indiana), so swearing was VERY common. To avoid swearing, in my opinion, makes you feel more..... different. But as many people have admitted, I've also been guilty of saying it a few times :smileytongue:

young beard signature
Please use plain text.
Message 13 of 30 (138 Views)
I Only Post Everything
1181 posts

Apr 8, 2014
I've always felt odd because for most of my life I haven't sworn, and to be honest most other people my age swear, its always made me feel like I could never mesh with society, would they think I was weird?,
You mean to tell me you don't bleed magical glitter dust?
How...............odd.
Please use plain text.
Message 14 of 30 (124 Views)
0 Likes
Last Guardian
11095 posts

Apr 8, 2014

I think swear words are not needed most of the time. Like in DmC Devil May Cry, the ps2 games never once used swear words and it worked, i know it's a reboot but Dante is still supposed to be "badass" (lol... he's far from that). I don't think badasses use name calling as a tactic to win arguments.

I'm not against swear words in games, but sometimes i feel like it isn't needed and that the writers could come up with other words and phrases instead of just spamming the f word everywhere.

Please use plain text.
Message 15 of 30 (115 Views)
0 Likes
Welcoming Committee
8648 posts

Apr 8, 2014

renatabls wrote:

I think swear words are not needed most of the time. Like in DmC Devil May Cry, the ps2 games never once used swear words and it worked, i know it's a reboot but Dante is still supposed to be "badass" (lol... he's far from that). I don't think badasses use name calling as a tactic to win arguments.

I'm not against swear words in games, but sometimes i feel like it isn't needed and that the writers could come up with other words and phrases instead of just spamming the f word everywhere.

Not just in video games either. Some shows use that phrase way too much (*cough*The After, I'm talking about you...*cough*), and imo, all it shows is how bad the writer(s) are. If they can't even come up with better ways of their characters showing frustration, it's just downright sad.

Please use plain text.
Message 16 of 30 (99 Views)
Keyblade Wielder
8364 posts

[ Edited ]
Apr 8, 2014
I think there's absolutely nothing wrong with swearing. As long as you do it right.

By that I mean, don't overdo it. If you're saying the F word 3 times in one sentence or swearing every other word you're abusing it. Abusing swearing takes away from the seriousness of swearing in the first place.

It's also important to understand there's a time and place for swearing. In public you shouldn't, but at home is when you should. If you do swear that is.
 photo 08EDBB95-0972-4D12-94BB-8107B5418EAA_zpsyuwphky8.jpg
Please use plain text.
Message 17 of 30 (97 Views)
I Only Post Everything
1026 posts

Apr 9, 2014

If a character is of the personality type who would obviously swear a lot, it actually sounds more bizarre if they don't.

Please use plain text.
Message 18 of 30 (81 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5192 posts

Apr 9, 2014

Fletcherrenn08 wrote:
In assassins creed you can turn blood off

But not swearing mi amico, which is the problem OP is conflicted with :smileywink:

Batman-Why do we fall? WE fall so we can learn to get back up!
Nightwing- No! that's not true, we fall because SOMEONE pushes us. We get up....to Push Back!
N52 Nightwing 30

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Please use plain text.
Message 19 of 30 (73 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
12642 posts

Apr 9, 2014

I do not usually swear. If I do it in a serious manner, I am probably fuming mad and you should not be talking with me. 

Welcoming Committee Twitter
Please use plain text.
Message 20 of 30 (70 Views)
0 Likes