Jul 31 2014
By: Gamefreak_09 Uncharted Territory 1984 posts

The Gunpla Thread

[ Edited ]
61 replies 529 views Edited Feb 17, 2015

Here I'd like to discuss Gunpla, which are plastic models that resemble the mobile suits from the Gundam series.

I myself am a beginner who is still buying my first sandpaper, nippers, hobby knifes, etc.

Not only am I a beginner in building plastic models, but also in watching gundam. The only series I've actually WATCHED is G Gundam, Gundam 00179, Gundam Stardust Memory (kinda), 08th MS Team, MS IGLOO, and Zeta Gundam. Currently I am watching Gundam 00. Most of my knowledge stems from playing Dynasty Warriors Gundam 1, 2, 3, and Reborn..

What about you guys? What is your knowledge in building plastic models or in Gundam? Are you interested in building plastic models and/or Gunpla?

Ask questions! Brag! Share techniques!

Did you know?

HG (High Grade) model kits are now encorporating similar skeletons so that you can mix and match parts? You can see the promotional video at the end of each Gundam Build Fighters (not TRY) episode. Skip to 24:33 in this provided video to see the All Gundam Project promotional video.

My Offer:

By using my copy of Gundam Breaker 2, I can help you save money. You see, in Gundam Breaker 2 you play as HG and MG (Master Grade) model kits and you can mix and match the parts. What I can do is take a request, simulate it, and then show an image of it. Sadly the image will be taken with my phone, but it will be better than just imagining what the combination of parts would look like and risk using money on kits that don't look good together. I can also paint the model parts in different colors and make them look shiny or metallic.

Click on Spoiler to learn how I would prefer you to edit your topic title when volunteering some tips. 

Spoiler

Each topic will have a unique topic title to this entire thread. If you wish to volunteer a tip then please follow the same topic layout as I:

Online ID - Theme - Number

An online ID your "gamertag" like how my online ID is Gamefreak_09.

As for the theme section, you are going to have to skim over this theme list:

Spoiler
General removing and cleaning Process:
The process of doing whatever you can to get the plastic part out of the tree, then cleaning up the nubs.

Preparation:
The process of combining parts, to study your manual, or actually place your parts in a specific way.

Removal From Tree:
The process in which a piece is reoved from its tree (or runner).

Nub Removal:
Specifically the process of removing bumps or craters caused by the "Removal From Tree" step.

Touch-Up:
The process of adding or hiding extra details in a viewpoint of it needing a solution to a problem (perhaps certain parts don't stay still).

Paint Preparation:
The preparation needed to actually effectively paint the model kit.

Decorative Touches:
Purely aesthetic details that are there to make it look better, but this may cause problems.

Base Creation:
The process of making your very own display base with your own materials.

Standing it up:
Some suits are not gravity friendly or are a nightmare to position, This is where solutions to stances can be found.

Workspace:
The area in which you work, where almost all the magic happens.

Other:
"relevant but doesn't fall under a given category". You are allowed to ask me to accept a topic title, I just want my List of your posts to be organized and consistent is all. 

Numbers will make looking for your post much easier. since it is likely that you can have more tips in the same theme. The first one should be number 1, not 0.

Here is an example

Online ID - Theme - Number 

Gamefreak_09 - Removal From Tree - 1

Sharing your tips not only exposes your strengths but also your weaknesses. If others criticize you then please take it as an opportunity to improve yourself and/or others. Please recognize when it just becomes preference or a matter of opinion. Your tips may trigger a discussion, which is why I wanted a different topic title.

When replying to older tips please use the @ system in which you type in @ and then an Online ID, then place their post in a spoiler, via copy and paste, and explain you are reacting to it. This is so its easier to tell if you are or are not replying to one of their newer posts with that same theme. The reason why I support this kind of bump is because you may be posting a fatal tip that can be very harmful or may be an unecessary risk for you and/or your gunpla. An example of a mistake is air brushing or doing battle damage on a gunpla when it is all in one piece instead of individual armor pieces.

WHEN YOU ARE CORRECTED PLEASE EDIT YOUR TIP POST SO THAT IT IS MORE KNOWLEDGABLE AND SAFE. I don't want people reading the previous versions of your tips that may contain flaws that you learned to overcome through the discussion on this thread. for example maybe a cutting method you use is handy but is unnecessarily dangerous compared to a technique that is just as useful but less dangerous. Why I am more concerned than I should be is actually because as stated earlier I plan to try to store your tips in the OP so people can track who they like, but looking for the discussion may become too chaotic, The new lessons should be integrated into the tip post that is being talked about.

If you have any questions please private message me and I will try to explain to you. If I have to reword this then please do tell me.

Gunpla Tip List

Spoiler
Gamefreak_09
Spoiler

BlackAceZero777

General Removal and Cleaning Process 1

PLEASE PLACE ALL PICTURES IN SPOILERS. Here is an example:

Spoiler
By the way, this happens to be my most recent gunpla! 
bs1.jpg

gamefreak2.jpg

Message 1 of 62 (529 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1466 posts

Re: The Gunpla Thread

Aug 4, 2014

This is a good time to talk about how I got into it as well: I think it was due to Sgt. Frog. It's an anime that the creators of Gundam made and in it, the main frog Kuroro (If I'm pronouncing it right, it's been a long time since I saw it) builds gundam models. After awhile I notice that many were always talking about and decided to see what it was all about and low and behold they caught my attention with how they look! Sometime after 2 years I decided to buckle down and buy me one.

Now I really have not watched Gundam for many years, I remember growing up I was into Gundam Wing and Gundam Seed but could not understand them. I even have a Gundam Wing skateboard!

Now when I first started off, I didn't use any of the fancy techniques, I just build them. I plan on doing so later with everything, but that will be later.

photo 8404_8a96_zps4b0191c3.gif

Message 2 of 62 (497 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1984 posts

Aug 5, 2014

BlackAceZero777 wrote:

This is a good time to talk about how I got into it as well: I think it was due to Sgt. Frog. It's an anime that the creators of Gundam made and in it, the main frog Kuroro (If I'm pronouncing it right, it's been a long time since I saw it) builds gundam models. After awhile I notice that many were always talking about and decided to see what it was all about and low and behold they caught my attention with how they look! Sometime after 2 years I decided to buckle down and buy me one.

Now I really have not watched Gundam for many years, I remember growing up I was into Gundam Wing and Gundam Seed but could not understand them. I even have a Gundam Wing skateboard!

Now when I first started off, I didn't use any of the fancy techniques, I just build them. I plan on doing so later with everything, but that will be later.

I think its keroro.

Thats pretty neat! I got into building gunpla because I loved building lego and...

bionicle

Bionicles! I always loved putting things together as a kid. As a kid I also was given an MG of the original Gundam. I had no idea what it was or what happened to it. I think I lost it because I was too young to really know how to take care of it. for all who knows it just went into my toybox (LOL BAD CHOICE).

But anyway although i never got too much experience back then, I did remember building it with a unique experience. Then I watched Mobile Fighter G Gundam and loved the series. 

Later in life I came across a dynasty warriors gundam game. something about it looked so apetizing I couldn't help it! I ended up  playing it and loving the gameplay. It was so nice being able to slaughter all the soldiers! haha though it was funny that I'd run away afraid from certain aces. what made the experience better was I played with my kinda-stepbrother. WE had a blast! Later I came across Domon Kasshu, the protagonist of Mobile Fighter g Gundam.

Immediately I began to recognize him, his gundam, and his fighting style. There were so many waves of subtle nostalgia I couldn't handle it. I eventually found G Gundam and rewatched it 3-5 times! I loved it and was glad to have a slice of my childhood back. I ended up purchasing Dynasty warriors gundam 2 and stuck to my hero, Domon Kasshu. (I always played as him when possible and used my burning gundam. I loved that thing!)

Then I found a weekly collectible swap-meet. Here I found gunpla. I DEFINITELY knew what these were on sight and thought they were for other people. but then I saw burning gundam and couldn't help but to build it! I bought it, grabbed by butter knife when home, and naively tried to build it at all cost. It took 8 hours straight but it turned out well... for my expectations. There were nubs everywhere but I didn't care because of how much I loved it. Then came Master Gundam, then Shining gundam, then a... ehh this

gundam wing.jpg

but anyway it wasn't until Gundam Build Fighters that I was inspired to build a gunpla of my very own with the finest tools and to do my best to make it have a sense of life. Annnnd here I am.

I'm here mostly because of dynasty warriors gundam, g gundam, and gundam build fighters.

gamefreak2.jpg

Message 3 of 62 (482 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1466 posts

Aug 5, 2014

Gamefreak_09 wrote:

BlackAceZero777 wrote:

I think its keroro.

Thats pretty neat! I got into building gunpla because I loved building lego and...

bionicle

Bionicles! I always loved putting things together as a kid. As a kid I also was given an MG of the original Gundam. I had no idea what it was or what happened to it. I think I lost it because I was too young to really know how to take care of it. for all who knows it just went into my toybox (LOL BAD CHOICE).

But anyway although i never got too much experience back then, I did remember building it with a unique experience. Then I watched Mobile Fighter G Gundam and loved the series. 

Later in life I came across a dynasty warriors gundam game. something about it looked so apetizing I couldn't help it! I ended up  playing it and loving the gameplay. It was so nice being able to slaughter all the soldiers! haha though it was funny that I'd run away afraid from certain aces. what made the experience better was I played with my kinda-stepbrother. WE had a blast! Later I came across Domon Kasshu, the protagonist of Mobile Fighter g Gundam.

Immediately I began to recognize him, his gundam, and his fighting style. There were so many waves of subtle nostalgia I couldn't handle it. I eventually found G Gundam and rewatched it 3-5 times! I loved it and was glad to have a slice of my childhood back. I ended up purchasing Dynasty warriors gundam 2 and stuck to my hero, Domon Kasshu. (I always played as him when possible and used my burning gundam. I loved that thing!)

Then I found a weekly collectible swap-meet. Here I found gunpla. I DEFINITELY knew what these were on sight and thought they were for other people. but then I saw burning gundam and couldn't help but to build it! I bought it, grabbed by butter knife when home, and naively tried to build it at all cost. It took 8 hours straight but it turned out well... for my expectations. There were nubs everywhere but I didn't care because of how much I loved it. Then came Master Gundam, then Shining gundam, then a... ehh this

gundam wing.jpg

but anyway it wasn't until Gundam Build Fighters that I was inspired to build a gunpla of my very own with the finest tools and to do my best to make it have a sense of life. Annnnd here I am.

I'm here mostly because of dynasty warriors gundam, g gundam, and gundam build fighters.

DUDE, DUDE, DUDE, DUDE, DUUUUUUUUDDDDDEEEEEE!!!!!!! I am a fan of Bionicle!!!!!!!! I am still sad that they stopped making them....

WP_20140805_003.JPG

WP_20140805_004.JPG

Here are my two models....The first ones gun on the other hip broke just a minute ago, you know what, I'll just buy a new one......

Okay, so here is two fun facts:

Fun Fact 1: Ever heard of Black Ace?

645671-mmsf3blackacenoise.png

It's a form of Shooting Star Mega Man where it trades out strength for speed and agility (Its also where oart of my name comes from). I read that they had gotten inspiration from the Gundam Model with the blue wings that I have shown...They can expand and show a golden exterior, so I can pretty much see where they did get inspiration from.

Fun Fact 2: The second Gundam Model's sword can turn into a jet pack and gun! It is awesome!!!!

Message 4 of 62 (463 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1984 posts

Aug 5, 2014

BlackAceZero777 wrote:tools and to do my best to make it have a sense of life. Annnnd here I am.

DUDE, DUDE, DUDE, DUDE, DUUUUUUUUDDDDDEEEEEE!!!!!!! I am a fan of Bionicle!!!!!!!! I am still sad that they stopped making them....

WP_20140805_003.JPG

WP_20140805_004.JPG

Here are my two models....The first ones gun on the other hip broke just a minute ago, you know what, I'll just buy a new one......

Okay, so here is two fun facts:

Fun Fact 1: Ever heard of Black Ace?

645671-mmsf3blackacenoise.png

It's a form of Shooting Star Mega Man where it trades out strength for speed and agility (Its also where oart of my name comes from). I read that they had gotten inspiration from the Gundam Model with the blue wings that I have shown...They can expand and show a golden exterior, so I can pretty much see where they did get inspiration from.

Fun Fact 2: The second Gundam Model's sword can turn into a jet pack and gun! It is awesome!!!!

Thats pretty cool. I think its actually based on .. forgot his name.. its not Athrun who uses Infinite Justice Gundam, and it isn't Kira who uses Strike Freedom Gundam (the one you have), its the purple one's Destiny Gundam

Spoiler
winged gundam

and yeah man now they have those stupid bionicle hero factory guys, I miss those old ones with the unreadable names!!!

gamefreak2.jpg

Message 5 of 62 (453 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1984 posts

Aug 5, 2014

oh yeah and I forgot to mention I'm sorry to hear about your RG man, I hear they can be quite sensiive. It look spretty neat though! Think of the extre model kit as an emergency kit. either make a better version, or keep the spare parts and replace what you need to. As for the other I tried it out in extreme vs full boost. it can be quite the monster! I don't think I was able to use it as a booster, but it was able to shoot lasers and be a sword. Lol I noticed it needed something to support it haha

gamefreak2.jpg

Message 6 of 62 (450 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1466 posts

Aug 6, 2014

Gamefreak_09 wrote:

oh yeah and I forgot to mention I'm sorry to hear about your RG man, I hear they can be quite sensiive. It look spretty neat though! Think of the extre model kit as an emergency kit. either make a better version, or keep the spare parts and replace what you need to. As for the other I tried it out in extreme vs full boost. it can be quite the monster! I don't think I was able to use it as a booster, but it was able to shoot lasers and be a sword. Lol I noticed it needed something to support it haha

716HmRhoKKL._SL1500_.jpg

This is the next one I plan on getting with the Valvrave model.....For some reason, this reminds me of a beetle.....When I see the Gundam Models, I wonder why they did not give the treatment to Eureka Seven....It really needed it!!!!

Message 7 of 62 (435 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1466 posts

Aug 6, 2014

Gamefreak_09 wrote:

You know what, when I did build it I was sick and went at it from 10:00 PM to 4:00-5:00 AM...Back was hurting and fingers were sore, so it may have been how I went at it because the second model I build actually has not given me any problems....

Message 8 of 62 (434 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1984 posts

[ Edited ]
Aug 10, 2014

yeah that one is also in extreme vs full boost. It looks like a beatle because of the back part I think. It kinda looks like an exoskeleton-like cover for wings. What series is that one from anyway?

and maybe, but I have heard that RG especially is fragile

gamefreak2.jpg

Message 9 of 62 (423 Views)
0 Likes
Limit Breaker
22420 posts

[ Edited ]
Aug 11, 2014

Gundam?

i noticed a lot of Gundam anime series available.. for someone who is new to the series.. i have no idea which series to watch..  given there are a lot of series with people controller mechanial machines..etc..

as for the toys.. i heard and saw them before. from some classmates back then..  JPN 101-- the class was filled with anime fanatics and everything japanese.. class of 30 or so .. only see 4-5 faces again through the transition 101- 102- 201- 202  (higher have to transfer to a university--)

how much is it for one of these toys?..  i heard there are people who have a whole closet full of these things..

one more thing.. if you guys get the chance to visit japan.. check out the life size gundam model Smiley Happy

http://www.japannewbie.com/2013/02/24/life-sized-gundam-model-in-tokyo/

**i noticed maid cafe the video- the waitress speaks japanese then switched to chinese..

What Are Internet TROLLS ?
To QUOTE- TOP RIGHT of the reply box - To MULTI-QUOTE
PSP and PS3 owner..YES...i still play the LAST GEN systems
****still waiting for The LAST GUARDIAN****
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Message 10 of 62 (405 Views)
0 Likes