Check out thes markets that Sony Computer Entertainment has acquired:

Sega's 90s market

Nintendo's 90s market

The N64 next-gen market

The Saturn next-gen market

The Dreamcast next-gen market

The Gamecube's next-gen market

The Xbox 1's next-gen market. 

That's a lot of markets!  Thus - a classic conglomerate - along the lines of Sony Corporation. 

Message 1 of 5 (83 Views)
0 Likes
PIayStation MVP
12905 posts

That doesn't really make much sense. Sony may have helped...

Jan 23, 2013

That doesn't really make much sense. Sony may have helped force Sega out of the hardware business, but they went on to make games for Sony, Microsoft, and Nintendo. Nothing was "aquired".

Nintendo and Microsoft are still going strong, so nothing was "aquired" there either.

IMO your view about Sony's place in the market is quite distorted...

Message 2 of 5 (79 Views)
Lombax Warrior
189 posts

Re: The Sony Computer Entertainment Conglomerate

Jan 23, 2013

What do you mean by acquired? and i believe Sony doesn't own any of those.

Message 3 of 5 (66 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
220 posts

Re: That doesn't really make much sense. Sony may have helped...

Jan 23, 2013

Logical_Dolphin wrote:

That doesn't really make much sense. Sony may have helped force Sega out of the hardware business, but they went on to make games for Sony, Microsoft, and Nintendo. Nothing was "aquired".

Nintendo and Microsoft are still going strong, so nothing was "aquired" there either.

IMO your view about Sony's place in the market is quite distorted...

Actually - I never said acquired THEM, I said acquired their markets.  Meaning they sell little with that platform, and have to move on.  Sony literally takes their market.  Acquires it. 

Message 4 of 5 (63 Views)
0 Likes
PIayStation MVP
12905 posts

Re: That doesn't really make much sense. Sony may have helped...

Jan 23, 2013
Yes I know what you meant, it still doesn't make much sense, especially when you remark about Sega's and Nintendo's 90's market. You must be talking about the Sega Genesis & Super Nintendo, since you talk about other Sony & Nintendo's other systems separately. Since the Genesis and Super Nintendo were no longer relevant in the market by the time the first PlayStation came out, there were no markets to acquire.

Since Sega failed with the Saturn & Dreamcast competing with Sony, you could argue that Sony "acquired" their market, but the N64, GameCube, and Xbox successfully co-existed with Sony, so they all had a relevant markets of their own...
Message 5 of 5 (41 Views)
0 Likes