Treasure Hunter
5939 posts

Re: Toyota's car of the future doesn't run on gas

Jun 29, 2014

HypernovaGN wrote:
@shadoefax yeah and I wonder why that drilling in Alaska and such is frowned upon. Perhaps its the pollution of a very fragile ecosystem. And don't give me that "its perfectly safe for the environment" crap. They said the same thing about fracking. People cut corners for money and they always will.
Corporations in my mind are becoming the bigger problem. Don't they OWN the patent to fuel injection and allow no one to use it?
The solution to the gas problem to use less and less, not drill more and more. You and I both know that is not sustainable.

Well, as someone who lived in Alaska for years, I can tell you right up that Alaskan's would welcome the oil drilling.  They see no sense in stopping drilling to protect some wild moose or a walrus somewhere.  Thing is, we live in a moble society, and by tradition, American's are on the move.  Those resources are there for us to use as long as it's done with some intellect in collecting them.  

As for Fracking, I don't know much about that, but I do know about coal.  Ever since the Obama Administration declared a war on coal and pretty much shut it down, my power bill has doubled,  and it's going to keep right on going up because the idiots who run this country don't know what they're doing.  

It's kind of funny in a sense:  What little coal we do unearth here now is only being sent to China so they can burn it an pollute the air, and their power bills are much less than ours.  Explain that one to me.  

Face it.  America was built on industry, and energy is one of those industries.  Now Obama is going after Iron and Ore extractions, just so we can buy the cheap stuff out of Korea.  Does that sound like someone who knows that they're doing to you?  Maybe..?  To me it sounds like an idiot, and that pretty much sums it up.  

Message 21 of 66 (133 Views)
0 Likes
Big Daddy
18922 posts

[ Edited ]
Jun 29, 2014

tollett wrote:

In order for alternative energy cars to ever make an impact and become mainstream, they need to be cheaper than the equivalent gasoline powered car and perform just as well.  Very few people are willing to, and can afford to, spend extra on a hydrogen car.  People have to buy them in large quantities in order for manufacturers to profit by building them, but that won't happen until prices come down.  Prices won't come down until people start buying them.  It's a catch-22.

And cheaper than the extremely successful Honda Civic, for those kind of cars to have a huge impact.

And then there are those of us who absolutely refuse to buy alternative energy transportation because we prefer the conventional internal combustion engine. Or those that demand to drive only older cars because of the sentimental value that the owners have for the cars.

photo 683842d5-5deb-4335-8bcb-5b2166398090_zpsafb7b8da.jpg
Message 22 of 66 (132 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3450 posts

Jun 29, 2014

@shadoefaxCoal production and consumption have only dropped to the levels they were in the early years of President Bush's first term.  Coal is still a very big part of our energy plan and will continue to be so. However, it is limited and it does pollute.  Maybe the reason your electricty bills have doubled is due more to fear-mongering and speculation than the actual availability of coal.  But you are right in that we shouldn't deal with China if they are going to continue to pollute recklessly.  Industry has proven time and again that they can't self-regulate, but we shouldn't hinder our economy with nonsensical regulations.  There must be a balance.

When you have time, look into fracking and it's possible correlation to the dramatic increase in earthquakes in Oklahoma.  It's interesting reading.  Also check out some videos of flamable water coming from people's faucets. 

Si vis pacem, para bellum.
Message 23 of 66 (124 Views)
0 Likes
Ghost of Sparta
12537 posts

[ Edited ]
Jun 29, 2014

I've been looking at the electric tesla car. Plug it in plug it in.

Message 24 of 66 (118 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
169 posts

Jun 29, 2014
Hydrogen is a gas, not an element
Message 25 of 66 (114 Views)
0 Likes
Big Daddy
18922 posts

Jun 29, 2014

fostermacation wrote:

I've always wanted a Ford Mustang or Dodge Challenger.

Those cars are just out of my price range. If I could afford a $25,000 car, these would be my first 2 that I would test drive.

Message 26 of 66 (109 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3450 posts

Jun 29, 2014

fostermacation wrote:

Just be aware of where the electricity is coming from, if your decision is related to environmental concerns.  Where I live, most of our electricity is produced at a coal-fired power plant.

Si vis pacem, para bellum.
Message 27 of 66 (105 Views)
0 Likes
Highlighted
Ghost of Sparta
8001 posts

Jun 29, 2014

TossYaBoiAKudo wrote:
Hydrogen is a gas, not an element

Was lunch your strong-suit in school?

Message 28 of 66 (103 Views)
Lombax Warrior
169 posts

Jun 29, 2014
^^That my friend is the hydrogen ATOM which is an element if in the periodic table. Hydrogen is a diatomic gaseous molecule in its standard state, not an element.
Message 29 of 66 (91 Views)
0 Likes
Big Daddy
18922 posts

Jun 29, 2014

TossYaBoiAKudo wrote:
^^That my friend is the hydrogen ATOM which is an element if in the periodic table. Hydrogen is a diatomic gaseous molecule in its standard state, not an element.

Element: basic substance that can't be simplified.

http://education.jlab.org/qa/atoms_and_elements.html 

Hydrogen is both an element and a gas

Message 30 of 66 (85 Views)