Apr 16 2013
By: vfr_800_rider PlayStation MVP 5120 posts

Twitter & the Boston Marathon Tragedy

10 replies 97 views Edited Apr 16, 2013

I can't fathom the anguish of the people that experienced first hand the events of yesterday.  I send all my thoughts to the speedy recovery of the injured and condolences to those who have lost loved ones.

What I don't understand, and need clarification, is the response of some people in social media.

I read a link on Facebook yesterday that lamented the "slow response of mainstream media to the breaking news story.  Twitter is a much faster news source".  This blows my mind.

Since when is Twitter a news source???  In my opinion, while the concept of Twitter was a good one, the application has spiralled out of control.  In my mind it is a source of biased, unedited and unverified "information".

I also do not comprehend the necessity of having my daily life constantly interrupted with IMMEDIATE updates on everything going on in the world.  What if I'm having a conversation with a friend?  What if I'm petting my cat?  What if I'm visiting a sick relative?  Do we HAVE to be updated within seconds, stop what we're doing and play slave to our smartphone just because Twitter said so?

Needless to say, I refuse to embark on the Twitter bandwagon, and I refuse to allow my life to be governed by an electronic device.

I much prefer to meet people in person, go outside and enjoy the weather, build something, fix something myself and live rather than let life rush by in a flurry of wasted electrons.

Rant over.

** Engage brain before putting mouth in gear **
 photo Signature2.png

MVP Terms and Conditions ______(=^‥^=)______ Forum Rules of Conduct

Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 11 (97 Views)
PlayStation MVP
13692 posts

Re: Twitter & the Boston Marathon Tragedy

[ Edited ]
Apr 16, 2013

vfr_800_rider wrote:

I can't fathom the anguish of the people that experienced first hand the events of yesterday.  I send all my thoughts to the speedy recovery of the injured and condolences to those who have lost loved ones.

What I don't understand, and need clarification, is the response of some people in social media.

I read a link on Facebook yesterday that lamented the "slow response of mainstream media to the breaking news story.  Twitter is a much faster news source".  This blows my mind.

Since when is Twitter a news source???  In my opinion, while the concept of Twitter was a good one, the application has spiralled out of control.  In my mind it is a source of biased, unedited and unverified "information".

I also do not comprehend the necessity of having my daily life constantly interrupted with IMMEDIATE updates on everything going on in the world.  What if I'm having a conversation with a friend?  What if I'm petting my cat?  What if I'm visiting a sick relative?  Do we HAVE to be updated within seconds, stop what we're doing and play slave to our smartphone just because Twitter said so?

Needless to say, I refuse to embark on the Twitter bandwagon, and I refuse to allow my life to be governed by an electronic device.

I much prefer to meet people in person, go outside and enjoy the weather, build something, fix something myself and live rather than let life rush by in a flurry of wasted electrons.

Rant over.

Well, I would recommend going to the thread that is already talking about this subject, but this seems to be more focused on ranting about twitter. A rant I essentially agree with, but in regard to the stuff in red, Twitter has been a news source since its creation basically, because it consistis of people simply sharing events, and like you said anyone could post, so you have to take stuff on there with a grain of salt and a bit of critical thinking.

Twitter does have reputable 'official' users, as far as im aware, almost every major game company and studio tweet updates and events, celebrities have accounts etc etc...

And why do people want updates constantly? For some its a social addiction, for others its simply the generation of 'I need it now now now' Its the world we live in, and as technology improves it will become worse and worse if you consider getting information at a high-speed a bad thing.

It wasn't all too long ago that we would have to have waited over 24 hours to know about a major event on the other side of the country, and that would have been one journalists opinion and ability to create a coherent article. Now, we have the opportunity to hear and read the opinions of anyone who can get on the net, its an unprecedented form of communication when contrasted to what has been available in the past century.

True it can be annoying, but if you can regulate yourself, it is a tool that can be leveraged and extremely useful.

Setzaroth signature

Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 11 (91 Views)
Keyblade Wielder
7426 posts

Apr 16, 2013

I like your mindset! You should add me on Twitter LOL! I joke of course. I do have a Twitter but I rarely use it and do not fall slave to it like so many do.

I don't consider Twitter a "news source" by any means unless it's CNN or FOX news or something, even then I have a seperate app for both of them that does alert me to major breaking stories only.

Median in general I think should always wait a period of time before "reporting" and incident such as that. YOU DON"T KNOW ANYTING YET! It is not news until you acutally have something. Do not feed the hysteria and add fuel to the fires of attention that these sick people want! I'm getting heated... I need to step back.

Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 11 (89 Views)
PlayStation MVP
4402 posts

Apr 16, 2013

vfr_800_rider wrote:

Rant over.

Amen!

Twitter and Facebook are the bane of Society today.

Moble

Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 11 (81 Views)
Splicer
74 posts

[ Edited ]
Apr 16, 2013

Odd topic. Just because someone on Facebook likes fast spreading rumors on Social Media a bit too much, you don't necessarily have to agree with him. Or start a "debate" about it on a forum like this one.

I like Twitter, but I don't use it as a general source for news. But it is perfect to get into contact with many people in the games industry. Use the existing tools how you consider it appropriate. But discussing what some random idiot had to say, that will lead you nowhere for sure. 

Please use plain text.
Message 5 of 11 (66 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
4402 posts

Apr 16, 2013

Golwar wrote:

Odd topic. Just because someone on Facebook likes fast spreading rumors on Social Media a bit too much, you don't necessarily have to agree with him. Or start a "debate" about it on a forum like this one.

I like Twitter, but I don't use it as a general source for news. But it is perfect to get into contact with many people in the games industry. Use the existing tools how you consider it appropriate. But discussing what some random idiot had to say, that will you nowhere for sure. 

Welcome to the PlayStation Community Forum.

Moble

Please use plain text.
Message 6 of 11 (62 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
74 posts

Apr 16, 2013

moblesuit75 wrote:

Golwar wrote:

I like Twitter, but I don't use it as a general source for news. But it is perfect to get into contact with many people in the games industry. Use the existing tools how you consider it appropriate. But discussing what some random idiot had to say, that will you nowhere for sure. 

Moble

Uhoh, you raised my fears about this place to new levels of horror. :smileywink:

Please use plain text.
Message 7 of 11 (54 Views)
PlayStation MVP
13692 posts

Apr 16, 2013

Golwar wrote:

moblesuit75 wrote:

Golwar wrote:

Moble

Uhoh, you raised my fears about this place to new levels of horror. :smileywink:

Lol, what?

Setzaroth signature

Please use plain text.
Message 8 of 11 (51 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
5120 posts

Apr 16, 2013

Golwar wrote:

I like Twitter, but I don't use it as a general source for news. But it is perfect to get into contact with many people in the games industry. Use the existing tools how you consider it appropriate. But discussing what some random idiot had to say, that will lead you nowhere for sure. 

OK, I be sure to check with you next time I post an opinion in the "Off-Topic" section to make sure it meets your approval.

** Engage brain before putting mouth in gear **
 photo Signature2.png

MVP Terms and Conditions ______(=^‥^=)______ Forum Rules of Conduct

Please use plain text.
Message 9 of 11 (46 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
74 posts

Apr 16, 2013

vfr_800_rider wrote:

Golwar wrote:

OK, I be sure to check with you next time I post an opinion in the "Off-Topic" section to make sure it meets your approval.

Dude, why not calm down and follow your own advise?

"I much prefer to meet people in person, go outside and enjoy the weather, build something, fix something myself and live rather than let life rush by in a flurry of wasted electrons."

You rant about some random nonsense from others, because those did rant about some random nonsense. And you react childish when one hints you that simple fact. You surely have better things to do and so do I. Sayonara.

Please use plain text.
Message 10 of 11 (40 Views)
0 Likes