Highlighted
Feb 20 2014
By: ID-69 Keyblade Wielder 8296 posts

Video Games: A Childish medium?

[ Edited ]
35 replies 214 views Edited Feb 20, 2014

I just read a post in "Do you feel old" topic and there a fellow forumer stated that he feels a bit embarrassed about being in a forum that relates to gaming. It made me think how many people actually conceive video games as kids' pastime. Surely not many in this community. After all we're all gamers. 

My parents let alone my grandparents are pretty much unfamiliar with gaming. It's because video games are a relatively new medium and when video games became popular the older generations were less likely to pick up the controller. In most cases the new shiny Super Nintendo was bought for the small ones in the family, or so I believe. 

I think it's safe to say most ( not all ) video games are aimed at boys and young men alike. But the generation that picked up video games is getting older. Parents and children playing video games together is no longer an uncanny sight. The joys of gaming is shared with the older and younger generation. The attitude towards gaming should be slowly changing. 

Anyway, how do you feel about this? Do you think video games are childish? Are you embarrassed to admit your passion for video games? Do you think the video game industry should grow up with the growing gaming community? 

id 69 signature

"How do you prove that you exist...? Maybe we don't exist..."

Message 1 of 36 (214 Views)
Fender Bender
2306 posts

Re: Video Games: A Childish medium?

Feb 20, 2014

Video games have no age limit. 

My Youtube Channel:

NG \\Wais
Message 2 of 36 (207 Views)
0 Likes
Keyblade Wielder
8296 posts

[ Edited ]
Feb 20, 2014

wais_45 wrote:

Video games have no age limit. 

They do have age restrictions though. But no age cap. Smiley Tongue

id 69 signature

Message 3 of 36 (202 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
2023 posts

[ Edited ]
Feb 20, 2014

That's true. There is no age cap. It could in fact be a major hobby. I have also heard reports of video games helping people on times depression and stress. Of course, as long as its not overdone. My friend's grandpa still plays the N64 Smiley Wink

young beard signature
Message 4 of 36 (199 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
130 posts

Feb 20, 2014

Good Questions.

I personally don't think anyone is going to take gaming seriously until people like Rockstar or Naughty Dog end up getting grammys for the dedication and hard work they put into making these games. Yes, they sell good, but people dont take them serious. It's the year 2014 and people still make a fuzz about GTA. THE GAME IS RATED M FOR A REASON PEOPLE! It's true that gaming nowadays can be for anyone especially with periphirals like the Wii or whatever Sony calls their colored wands for the PS4. Our parents grew up playing with rocks and sticks. Times are changing. The kids that grew up playing Pong on their consoles are now picking up protitutes, murdering people and smoking that MARY JUANA in video games.

What kind of a joke are the VMA's? Last time i saw the Video Game awards was maybe 4 years ago.

Message 5 of 36 (196 Views)
0 Likes
Keyblade Wielder
8296 posts

Feb 20, 2014

@tito60446 Yeah. Video Game Awards is a joke, sadly. 

id 69 signature

Message 6 of 36 (191 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
6851 posts

Feb 20, 2014

There's parental ratings on games so no, I find videogames to cater for all ages.

Message 7 of 36 (180 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
12491 posts

Feb 20, 2014

Juan1992 wrote:

There's parental ratings on games so no, I find videogames to cater for all ages.

Definitely.

As for games themselves, regardless of the ratings, they're fun for everyone. Heck I enjoy games of all ratings myself from E rated ones right up through M rated ones. As long as the game itself keeps me interested and is fun to play. Doesn't matter. Anyone who says that video games are childish, have no idea what they're talking about imo. No one should ever feel ashamed to play them. I'm proud to be a gamer, and I don't let others views ruin how I feel about games themselves.

smdedspace2.png

Smiley HappyRobot Happy/FAQ and Rules & Conduct//FAQ about reports/Forum Team info/Robot Very Happy/WC Forum Resources/ PSN friends thread/Life and Gaming -- My blog

Playstation customer support numbers: 1-877-971-7669 (for billing and Playstation Network); 1-800-345-7669 (for technical support)
Message 8 of 36 (168 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
10748 posts

Feb 20, 2014

Anyone calls video games a kids' pasttime...  show them the first 20 minutes of Outlast.

Message 9 of 36 (165 Views)
0 Likes
Last Guardian
9855 posts

Feb 20, 2014
I don't think it's a childish medium at all. Games like The Last of Us, Beyond: Two Souls, and the upcoming Infamous: Second Son are showing how this medium can be used for storytelling. So definitely not a childish medium.

Gaming gets a bad rap though. CoD is the most popular game and that's where a lot of idiotic behavior takes place. And people might see CoD as the standard of behavior for all gamers.

Nintendo is also pretty family oriented. Someone might look at Nintendo and think all games are childish because Nintendo is kid friendly.
 photo Hammer Girl_zpsnrg29qur.jpg
Message 10 of 36 (162 Views)