Jun 29 2014
By: dulun18 Limit Breaker 22420 posts

WHY so much LOVE for FFVII?

[ Edited ]
83 replies 353 views Edited Jun 29, 2014

d

I don't remember much of the story or its gameplay from back then.. so i'm replaying the game right now..

**with the excpetion of the remakes on the psps (FF, FFII, FFIV).. i can not play the other FFs before FFVII ... i tried it with FFVI.. but stopped after 40 minutes into the game..

the things i noticed about FFVII that make it stand out the most  (my personal opinion)

1- story

2- the random battle rate tolerable comparing to other FF before it or other rpgs..

3- graphic (the game was the first 3D graphic FF ).. and it looks ok even to this day..

4- limit breaks-  making me want to level grind just to unlock the next one

5- fast pace battle system... even for a stand still turn based.

6- materias- i hate shuffling it around every time....but when properly equipped + equipments . it's actually funSmiley Happy

since the random battle is not that bad in this game.. i'm actually running around to trigger random battle so i can test out the new equipments/ see the new limit breaks or testing out the new materias.. also willing to explore more of the game's world..

instead of going from point A to point b.. i'm actually doing side quests and leveling grinding in this game!.. for me this is rare.. usually i'll stick to the story and finish the game quickly

i'm having fun with the materias at the moment.. especially after i got the double cut materia

combined   with Cover (100%) + counter attack (max) + HP plus (max) + Double cut.. ..  it's an interesting materia combo.. Smiley Happy  got more hits  in without losing a turn..

I wonder if there are more materias out there.

**comparing FFVII limit breaks and FFVIII   and then FFIX.. i don't understand what went wrong.. with FFIX's  TRANCE.. it's the most useless part of the FFIX... since you have no control over it....  but at least they got it right again with FFX  overdrive..

What Are Internet TROLLS ?
To QUOTE- TOP RIGHT of the reply box - To MULTI-QUOTE
PSP and PS3 owner..YES...i still play the LAST GEN systems
****still waiting for The LAST GUARDIAN****
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Message 1 of 84 (353 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
803 posts

Re: WHY so much LOVE for FFVII?

Jun 29, 2014

It was a lot of peoples first FF game, and people tend to love whatever they've played first in a franchise.

I worked an entire week to buy the game myself when it came out, spend the whole summer playing it. Iove it, but to me, it's not the best rpg out there, and I'm fine if it never gets a remake.

All Star Superman
A vita supporter in a crowd of haters. Links >>>
Twitter // Work // Instagram // Nerd Blog // Last.FM // PS MVP T&C // FFXIVarr
Message 2 of 84 (348 Views)
Fender Bender
3393 posts

Jun 29, 2014
Sephiroth. Nuff said.

And the materia system was awesome.

Graphics were also good for the time.
guitar guru 2012
Message 3 of 84 (333 Views)
Treasure Hunter
5945 posts

Jun 29, 2014

Lots of Reasons: 

1.  FF7 was the bridge that connected 'old school' RPG's to the newer format (at that time).  People waited anxiously for it, and the wait was worth it. 

2.  FF7 came around the same time as the PS1, and a great many of us got a PS1 just so we could play FF7.  It was a wonderful combination, like Madonna - who made MTV - made Madonna.  They worked hand in hand. 

3.  FF7 has a wonderful storyline and plenty of sidequests and gameplay.  What other game has a feature such as the Gold Saucer where you can go play individual games?  I cannot think of any at present, though SE has announced that the Gold Saucer will also appear on FF14.  

4.  FF7 had the best 'bad guy' in RPG history, and it's pretty much true.  Few can compare or compete with Sephiroth, and I'd love to see a CGI where Sephiroth finally disposes of Lightning for good.  I'd pay to see that.  

5.  As of what I last read, FF7 is the #1 downloaded game on the PS Network.  For a game as old as it is, it's still relevant.  People still talk about this game all these years later.  That tells me it's relevant to us as gamers.  Even if you never played FF7, you knew about it.  The game was a blockbuster, and sales on the download continue to this day.  

Finally, 

Those of us who love the game want a remake.  Square has been asked by millions over the years for one.  Square refuses to do it as they know it's what we really want.  When the PS3 appeared and they showed the updated FF7 opening theme at E3 that year, people went crazy and couldn't wait for it... only to be told it was just a demo.  

Message 4 of 84 (325 Views)
Limit Breaker
18676 posts

Jun 29, 2014

shadoefax wrote:

[...]

Finally, 

Those of us who love the game want a remake.  Square has been asked by millions over the years for one.  Square refuses to do it as they know it's what we really want.  When the PS3 appeared and they showed the updated FF7 opening theme at E3 that year, people went crazy and couldn't wait for it... only to be told it was just a demo.  

No, they won't do it because they want other projects they create to surpass FFVII in success, which will never happen, so I personally think that's a stupid qualifier they set up for themselves, also, they have said that a remake isn't a definite "NO" but it would take a massive team a very long time, which they cannot do when they are in the middle of so many other projects.

Now, more in line with the topic of this thread, FF7 was not only revolutionary for its time, but it was the ip chosen by Nomura and others, when the FF team was approached about a product that could span many years into the future. Thus, that is why no other Final Fantasy game is as flushed out and explored as the FF7 universe is. It has managed to stay relevant with everything from the Advent Children movie, to character cameo in other games.

RE-THINK SALAD

Message 5 of 84 (315 Views)
Fender Bender
3419 posts

Jun 29, 2014
Outspoken Cult Following. Nuff said.

RingingPhoneTelephone Calls 

Satire Extraordinaire!RingingPhone
"Stop trolling, you're CLEARLY trolling!" - Everyone In Off-Topic.

~ Proud Upholder Of The PS Forums Rules Of Conduct ~
~ Survivor Of Two Permanent Bans ~ Influential Satire Member ~

~ Forum Moderation Expert ~ Victim Of Many Injustices ~
~ Sworn Enemy To The Off-Topic Board ~ Anti-Troll Cultist ~

...Before you report this post, please check HERE to see if it actually breaches the PS Forums Rules Of Conduct, otherwise you're wasting your time! Thanks!

Message 6 of 84 (310 Views)
0 Likes
Limit Breaker
22420 posts

Jun 29, 2014

GuitarGuru2012 wrote:
Sephiroth. Nuff said.

And the materia system was awesome.

Graphics were also good for the time.

if it's about the character.. TIFA would be my favorite character hands down Smiley Happy

my main team was Cloud, Aeris and Tifa.. .. but now Cloud, Yuffie and Tifa...

there's no other female character that can dish out so much damage..

TIFA's limit breaks has no equal!! 

this is why i equipped her with cover .. if i have  an extra counter attack materia .. or double cut that would be nice..

Message 7 of 84 (308 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
8967 posts

Jun 29, 2014

I think the game is very popular because it was the first FF game for many people.Not only that but back them those CG cut scenes in the game was something a lot of people looked into.

The game had good graphics,good story and of course the CG scenes.

The CG scenes were a big deal back them,as Square Soft had the description on the back of FF VIII something like this "Includes almost 60 minutes of CG scenes"

KANE-FIRE

Message 8 of 84 (305 Views)
0 Likes
Limit Breaker
22420 posts

Jun 29, 2014

KANE-FIRE wrote:

I think the game is very popular because it was the first FF game for many people.Not only that but back them those CG cut scenes in the game was something a lot of people looked into.

The game had good graphics,good story and of course the CG scenes.

The CG scenes were a big deal back them,as Square Soft had the description on the back of FF VIII something like this "Includes almost 60 minutes of CG scenes"

true Smiley Happy.. i think i saw something similar with Legend of Dragoon as well Smiley Happy

when they released FFX.. i saw something new..  VOICED OVER cut scenes Smiley Happy   along with CG scenes..

with every final fantasy.. they added or removed or change something..

it would be nice if they just keep the things that worked and just build from there...

Message 9 of 84 (303 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5945 posts

Jun 29, 2014

Setzaroth wrote:

shadoefax wrote:

[...]

Finally, 

No, they won't do it because they want other projects they create to surpass FFVII in success, which will never happen, so I personally think that's a stupid qualifier they set up for themselves, also, they have said that a remake isn't a definite "NO" but it would take a massive team a very long time, which they cannot do when they are in the middle of so many other projects.

Now, more in line with the topic of this thread, FF7 was not only revolutionary for its time, but it was the ip chosen by Nomura and others, when the FF team was approached about a product that could span many years into the future. Thus, that is why no other Final Fantasy game is as flushed out and explored as the FF7 universe is. It has managed to stay relevant with everything from the Advent Children movie, to character cameo in other games.

Here's the deal with SE. 

As recently as February or so, the CEO of SE announced that a remake of FF7 has been discussed within the company, but the reasons for not doing a remake are endless.  He said that it would take too much time and resources for such a venture, and SE doesn't have either.  Well, sure it's going to take time and resources, but look at the payoff!  If they made a remake for the PS4, sales of both the PS4 and the remake would go out the roof.  Both companies, and the gamers as well, would greatly benefit.  

The truth is, SE is somewhat convinced that a remake would not be in the best interest of its western market and would not sell over here.  Not true, and you and I both know that.  They don't want to make an investment that will generate a tremendous amount of income into their company, and that's why it will (probably) never happen.  

As for other projects:  When they talk about time and resources, how much more time and resources are they going to invest in FF Type O. or even a KH 2,5 Remake?  Sure, both games have been announced, but Type O was announced years ago, and we still don't have it.  So the excuse of having no time or resources doesn't cut it.  

Those are my thoughts.  I'd love to see a remake of the most awesome RPG ever made, but I'm not holding my breath for one.  Until the get some new management at SE who cares for a remake, it's not going to happen.  

Message 10 of 84 (296 Views)
0 Likes