Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
PlayStation MVP
11334 posts

Weekly Highlights (March 23rd to March 29th)

[ Edited ]
Apr 7, 2014

Weekly Highlights

(March 23rd, 2014 to March 29th, 2014)

Thread of the Week

Ground Zeroes: A Dangerous Precedent?

By JOKERSHENCHMAN on 03-29-2014 at 08:32 AM

Is Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes setting a bad example for developers and publishers?

Post of the Week

[EVENT REVIEW] Final Fantasy X/X-2 Art Gallery

By StephieRawks on 03-28-2014 at 03:15 PM

StephieRawks attended an art exhibition at Gallery Nucleus. Read about this user’s experience.

Poster of the Week

Member Spotlight

(YoungBeard)

Q: What is your favorite video game genre? Why is it your favorite?

A: I have many different game genres that I love. But what I typically look for is more of the “survival horror” games. I love the intensity that it provides me when I’m playing it. I’m almost always constantly on my toes. For example, games like The Last of Us and Bioshock really define the types of games I prefer. A game doesn’t necessarily have to provide “jump scares” to be good horror, but rather, psychological terror and the feeling that makes feel isolated and alone. I would also give an honorable mention to adventure action games such as Tomb Raider and Uncharted.

Q: Which PlayStation video game are you looking forward to the most right now?

A: This is a really hard question, without a doubt! There are a lot of games coming out so it’s really tough choosing one particular game. Here are some games that I'm looking forward to: Uncharted 4, Star Wars: Battlefront 3, Alien: Isolation, Evil Within, The Witcher 3, and a game called Kingdom Come (which is rumored to come out 2016). Out of this list, I’d say that Evil Within is what I’m looking forward to more than any other game. From the gameplay trailers that have been released for this game, Evil Within seems to be going in a very good direction in Survival Horror.

Q: Who is your favorite video game developer for PlayStation? Why is this developer your favorite?

A: This is another really tough question as I’ve experienced countless developers all making amazing games. For example, Insomniac, Naughty Dog, Santa Monica, Irrational Games, etc. I would have to go with Naughty Dog for the simple fact that they’ve creating games that are all so consistently good. From Jak to The Last of Us, it’s hard to say anything negative about them, in my opinion. I’m hoping more developers can go their route. Irrational is also high on the list, but unfortunately, it seems that they’ve been shut down. They've been making some of my favorite games such as Bioshock and Sytem Shock.

Q: What was the very first video game console that you purchased? How long have you been playing video games?

A: This is a very interesting question! Nintendo 64 was the very first console that I truly purchased. There are a lot of great memories with this console with games such as Conker’s Bad Fur Day and Super Mario 64. Even to this day, I occasionally plug in my old N64 just to feel a wave of nostalgia sweep over me. I have been playing video games for about well over my life (except for the first 2 years of my life of course!). My brother did own an Atari... but  I was never into that at all.

Q: What was the first PlayStation video game that you played online? Do you prefer online multiplayer experiences or offline single-player ones?

A: When I first bought a PS2, I never played any of the games online. I usually kept it restricted to single player games (or split screen multiplayer for that matter). When I got a PS3, the first thing I did was go straight to getting a good internet and a game that I felt had an intriguing multiplayer. With that being said, Resistance: Fall of Man was the first game I played online. For a first experience, it was really fun. With 40 players in one match, I was always running into chaotic matches. Eventually, I did move on to games such as MAG and Battlefield…. But none of them matched my first experience with Resistance: Fall of Man.

Q: Where do you spend most of your time in the PlayStation Community Forums and what do you like to post about?

A: You will see me posting mainly in the Off-Topic and The Last of Us General parts of the forums. I mainly hang out in TLOU forums because it’s always so calm and quiet (most of the time). I guess this also tells you that I’m usually the more “quiet” person! And I post in Off-topic mainly because that’s where I take a break from posting about video game discussions. As you can probably tell, I do try to avoid posting excessively unless I find it meaningful.

Thank you for taking the time to fill out the questionnaire this week, YoungBeard!

Please use plain text.
Message 71 of 85 (692 Views)
PlayStation MVP
11334 posts

Weekly Highlights (March 30th to April 5th)

[ Edited ]
Apr 8, 2014

Weekly Highlights

(March 30th, 2014 to April 5th, 2014)

Thread of the Week

At what age should you take down the gaming posters off your walls?

By RISE_UP44 on 04-02-2014 at 07:50 AM Mountain

Do you think people should remove video game posters from their walls once they reach a certain age?

Post of the Week

Why I (and others) may not respond to your thread

By Grindhead_Jim on 04-02-2014 at 11:10 AM Mountain

Check out this post for some reasons why people might not respond to threads in the PlayStation Forums.

Poster of the Week

Member Spotlight

(Rene_Led)

A: I generally like to play any game but my absolute favorite genre is Action/Adventure. Games like Legend of Zelda, Assassin's Creed, Uncharted, Infamous, Skyrim, and just recently the (Demon/Dark) Souls series hahaha. I like being able to walk/run around, enjoy the setting and love a good story to go along with my gameplay and give me memorable moments that I can always look back to or share with friends like, "Hey! You like that train scene in Uncharted 2?" "Oh man I can't believe Leo Da Vinci is in a game! Hahaha!" "How crazy was that boss? I felt like tossing my controller across the room when I was only this close! *pinches index and thumb fingers*

Q: What is your most memorable PlayStation experience? Describe it for us!

A: Wow... I have quite a few since I have been a fan of the PlayStation (and Nintendo) since I started gaming when I was about.. I'm thinking 3-4? (at least that's what folks say haha)

I don't know if I have an absolute memorable one but I'll gladly explain key memorable moments from  PlayStation:

PlayStation 1: Getting that PlayStation console on my 7th brithday along with the game Crash Bandicoot. Just looking at the game's disc of the cartoony orange fox (hehehe I thought Crash was a fox... until my adolescent years I learned he was a Marsupial lol). I had feeling it was going to be so much fun.....and yes it was. :smileywink:

After playing Crash Bandicoot, I immediately became a PlayStation fan.

PlayStation 3: I started playing the PS3 around Christmas of '08. I was very excited to receive the PS3. Although I did not have games yet, having Internet access I tried out PlayStation Home and got to befriend many different players! it was after Christmas when I picked up 3 games for my new PS3: Metal Gear Solid 4, Assassin's Creed, and Soul Calibur 4 (it was the only other interesting choice at the time since Heavenly Sword was not available at the time haha). I was also excited to play amazing HD games and with the Internet more accesible to me I got to partcipate in online gaming on the PS3 and eventually found my way into the PS forums in early 2009. I have been posting around here since then. :smileywink:

Q: Who is your favorite video game developer for PlayStation? Why is this developer your favorite?

A: I would have to say Naughty Dog. I stuck around with them since Crash up to The Last of Us Haha! I loved all the games they have released on the PlayStation.

Though at one moment, I did have a 3DO and came across Way of the Warrior, a fighting game. I can say... it was the most... intersting of the 3DO games I had (I don't remember how I had a 3DO... I just know I played it at my grandparents' house...). I learned Rob Zombie's thunderkiss 65 through that game so... that's something haha. XD

Q: What is your favorite video game in the Instant Game Collection? Do you subscribe to PlayStation Plus?

A: Been using PlayStation Plus (PS+) since it debuted back in June 2010. :smileyhappy:

Phew... So many good games I've played through PS+ but I think the best one for me... would have to have been the new DmC (devil may cry)? It was a game I was actually going to buy used and bam read the January line up post on the blog and thought "Woo! Thank you, PS!" hahaha.

Honorable mention: Demon's Souls. Although I redeemed it, I never actually downloaded it since I thought, "Argh... What if I don't finish it? I don't want to get irritated. I have college for that!" So I never did until I was motivated to try it when I saw my cousin play Dark Souls during the holidays (2013). I also had friends tell me they would give me a hand so I downloaded it. I did get mad sometimes but it was surprisingly so much fun. I love being a (general) act/adv gamer. :smileyvery-happy:

Q: What is your favorite PlayStation trophy? What makes it stand out from the others in your PlayStation Profile?

A: Ooh I remember answering something like this in a post about a month back I think haha. Well, I listed 5 but I guess my top 2 would be:

(1) Assassin's Creed 2 platinum Trophy: Master Assassin. I love Assassin's Creed series and 2 is still my all-time favorite! This was the first I really wanted to platinum. When finally seeing that Trophy avatar of Ezio pop on the screen, I threw a 'Bender Fist' in the air (Breakfast Club reference).

(2) Young Justice Legacy platinum trophy: Justice League member. Since Nightwing is my all time favorite (DC) hero when I obtained this trophy, I was excited seeing an Avatar of Nightwing pop up. I was *holds hands apart like a subway footlong* this Whelmed :smileyvery-happy:

Q: What is your favorite soundtrack from a PlayStation video game? What are some of your favorite tracks from it?

A: Let's see... I like Uncharted's music. I love hearing the music play through the game and in my mp3 player. It sounds adventurous and spirit lifting I guess haha. Among my favorites are Nate's Theme and El Dorado DJ Shadow mix. I also like the song Simple and Clean from Kingdom Hearts. I'm going to admit, hearing the song after finishing the game... made me want to cry :smileytongue: and yes I also have that song in my mp3 player too haha.

Q: What was the first PlayStation video game that you played online? Do you prefer online multiplayer experiences or offline single-player ones?

A: Ah defintely MGO, Metal Gear Online! After I finished MGS4, I played the multiplayer and... MAN did I LOVE IT! The close-mid-long range combat, running/hiding in a box, guest characters (Snake, Liquid, Raiden, etc.), the various modes (sneaking was my favorite), in-game text chat and voice chat (the characters had pre-recorded phrases: "Oh man... I'm not gonna make it!, Roger that!, Need some help here!, Rrggh... Give me sec >_<)" Wow... I miss it now. :smileysad: There is no other MP game that could compare to that. though my second favorite MP game is/was AC Brotherhood since it totally brought something new and fresh to me... but that too is near dead as well. :/

Although MP/online gaming has its fun, I will always be a single player gamer first... people are cruel hahahaha. :smileywink:

Thank you for taking the time to fill out the questionnaire this week, Rene_Led!

Please use plain text.
Message 72 of 85 (618 Views)
PlayStation MVP
11334 posts

Weekly Highlights (April 6th to April 12th)

[ Edited ]
Apr 15, 2014

Weekly Highlights

(April 6th, 2014 to April 12th, 2014)

Thread of the Week

Favorite Video Game Music of All Time Thread

By BortLicensePlate on 04-11-2014 at 02:45 AM

Post some of your favorite video game music here in this thread and check out some other selections!

Post of the Week

[Review] Mercenary Kings

By Da_Almighty_Guy on 4-11-2014 at 07:55 PM

Are you thinking about playing Mercenary Kings? Check out Da_Almighty_Guy’s review for this video game!

Poster of the Week

Member Spotlight

(chaos_789)

A: My favorite game genre would have to be Action/ Adventure, with RPG coming in at a close second. It is my favorite Genre because I like games that have a good story. I like a good adventure.

A: The game I am most looking forward to at the moment would have to be Watch Dogs.

Q: What was the very first video game console that you purchased? How long have you been playing video games?

A: The first video game console I purchased myself was the PS2. I have played the PS1. It's hard to say what my first console was but one of my earliest was Nintendo. I have been playing video games for around 15-17 years.

Q: Where do you spend most of your time in the PlayStation Community Forums and what do you like to post about?

A: I spend most of my time in the PlayStation General, while checking with the support fourms every so often. I like to post about games and gaming related things (I also take part in conversations in the Off Topic fourms as well). I also like to help people on the fourms if I can that need help.

A: The first PlayStation game I played online was Haze. I prefer offline single player. I rarely play games in online multiplayer.

Q: What is your favorite video game in the Instant Game Collection? Do you subscribe to PlayStation Plus?

A: My favorite game in the Instant Game Collection currently, even though I already own it on disc, would have to be Batman: Arkham City. I do have a subscription to plus. I am a day 1 subscriber.

Q: What is your favorite PlayStation trophy? What makes it stand out from the others in your PlayStation Profile?

A: My favorite trophy would have to be the platnium trophy in Prince of Persia (PS3 game). The reason it's my favorite and why it stands out is because it's the first platnium trophy I have ever earned.

Thank you for taking the time to fill out the questionnaire this week, chaos_789!

Please use plain text.
Message 73 of 85 (529 Views)
PlayStation MVP
11334 posts

Weekly Highlights (April 13th to April 19th)

[ Edited ]
Apr 23, 2014

Weekly Highlights

(April 13th, 2014 to April 19th, 2014)

Thread of the Week

Why did you buy your PS4 early in its life cycle?

By Singlass on 04-16-2014 at 06:37 PM Mountain

Why did you purchase the PlayStation 4 early into its life cycle? Tell the PlayStation Community!

Post of the Week

[Review] Macabre Mondays - "Twisted Metal: Black" (PS2)

By HorrorGod on 04-14-2014 at 08:51 AM Mountain

Macabre Mondays is an ongoing project from HorrorGod. Check out this user’s video game reviews!

Poster of the Week

Member Spotlight

(xGaMeRx99z)

A: Definitely Action/Adventure. Simply because the genre features such a variety of games, and they generally have elements from other genres (shooters, platformers, strategy, etc.) so I can never get bored with it.

A: Honestly, the moment I remember most is starting up my launch PS3 for the first time. I had just bought my first HD TV together with my PS3 and setting up my PS3 was the first thing I did on it. I still have the mental image of seeing the XMB for the first time with the dynamic background.

A: Oddly enough the game I'm anticipating most right now is Uncharted 4, even though virtually nothing is known about it at this time. After TLoU, I just can't wait to see what ND can do with the PS4.

Q: Would you rather purchase a physical copy of a video game or a digital one? Why?

A: Unless the digital copy is significantly cheaper, I prefer physical. I just like to physically have a disk that I can loan to people and do what I want with.

Q: What is your favorite offline PlayStation video game and what is your favorite online one?

A: My favorite offline game would have to be TLoU or Heavy Rain. My favorite offline game is probably GTA V. I've had so much fun playing that with friends, more than any other MP game I can remember.

A: Naughty Dog... They have single handedly proven that games can be just as good as (or better than) movies, in terms of story. They also use some kind of witchcraft that forces you to feel raw emotion for fictional characters.

A: The first console I purchased myself was a PS3. As for how long I've been gaming, while I can't be exact, I can say that 15 years is probably a safe bet.

Thank you for taking the time to fill out the questionnaire this week, xGaMeRx99z!

Please use plain text.
Message 74 of 85 (469 Views)
PlayStation MVP
11334 posts

Weekly Highlights (April 20th to April 26th)

[ Edited ]
May 9, 2014

Weekly Highlights

(April 20th, 2014 to April 26th, 2014)

Thread of the Week

Disc vs Digital (What's it going to take to make you take the plunge)

By BAD-WAYNE on 04-22-2014 at 12:57 AM Mountain

What would encourage you to purchase digital copies of video games instead of physical ones?

Post of the Week

Do micro-transactions worry anyone else?

By JessTheJedi on 04-25-2014 at 12:33 AM Mountain

Are you worried about micro-transactions? What if you had to purchase everything in a video game?

Poster of the Week

Member Spotlight

(Gamefreak_09)

A: I am looking forward to Kingdom Hearts III, I absolutely can't wait for this next game. I don't care how unmanly it is to briefly describe it's content (yeah... I go through disney worlds alongside disney characters while wielding a key-sword saving the universe), this series is amazing. I plan to buy a digital and physical copy if possible!

Q: Would you rather purchase a physical copy of a video game or a digital one? Why?

A: It all really depends on how I feel about the game.

If it is a newer game that I can't wait to play, then I prefer digital because it saves the effort and fuel that it takes to go grab a physical copy. You can't break a download and you can always redownload it if the data is messing up.

If it is a game of a franchise I absolutely love, I am going to try to get a physical copy (I'm always afraid they may run out) AND digital copy (so I don't have to use my physical copy). A good example is the Jak and Daxter HD collection, I bought it digitally so I can experience nostalgia from a childhood favorite and have that nostalgia mix with the innovation of it being a revamped on a newer system. It was SO INCREDIBLE seeing "PlayStation 3" instead of "PlayStation 2" when loading my files. 

I only buy physical copies of newer games if it just so happens to be convenient or if I plan on maybe selling the game. I happened to buy The Last of Us because I walked by it in a store and gave into an impulse buy (which I didn't regret), otherwise I would have gotten it digitally.

Q: What is your favorite offline PlayStation video game and what is your favorite online one?

A: My favorite offline? Oh that is SO HARD TO CHOOSE. Perhaps Kingdom Hearts, Kingdom Hearts Final Mix, Kingdom Hearts Re: Chain of Memories, Kingdom Hearts II, Kingdom Hearts Birth By Sleep, or Kingdom Hearts HD reMIX. Jak and Daxter, and Ratchet & Clank are up there, but Kingdom Hearts takes the cake (you should see my room key at the dorm, so many Kingdom Hearts Keychains). I am going to have to say I feel I enjoyed Kingdom Hearts II on PS2 the most. Its gameplay was enjoyable, filled with action, amazing story, great replay value, and amazing soundtracks. Such an incredible game... Can't wait for the next HD reMIX!

My favorite online? While it has died down and is probably on life support if still alive, I would have to say Aliens Versus Predator. This game provided such an amazing multiplayer experience before the cheap tactics rolled in. When people realized it is possible to chain heavy attacks, they stopped blocking, using light attacks, and variations of the heavy attacks and light attacks. I'm sure you can imagine this made the complex melee combat so simple. What was amazing about this game was how each species was so different and how they had such different playing styles that really depended on the player. Well to put it another way each species was very flexible towards how people prefer to play. The gameplay was generally dynamic. Due to Predator (species) players are able to kill other players in half a second using a ranged weapon and other screwed up things, the multiplayer died. So anyway, the game was good in its youth.

Q: What was the most challenging PlayStation video game that you ever experienced? Tell us about it!

A: I'm going to have to say that Metal Gear Rising Revengance offered an AGGRAVATING end boss and that was only on the Hard mode (first playthrough). I don't even want to think about "revengence" mode. I spent so many hours dying at the end and getting so close to winning. This game does not tell you anything about the boss's weaknesses, so I spent a good 5 hours trying to figure out how to counteract his regenerative abilities. I really, really don't want to think about the game with more enemies and more difficult versions of them. In the first level, they had me fight two enemies plus others that resembles a future boss. I never got pass the first level on Revengance mode or whatever mode is past hard mode because I got frustrated with how the game turned out to become.

Q: What is the one platinum trophy that you are proud to have on your PlayStation Profile? What makes it special?

A: My favorite platinum trophy is the Aliens Versus Predator platinum, it was an adventure to get and was my first PS3 game I played on a nearly religious basis. Becoming Rank 43 (highest multiplayer rank) is one of the hardest trophies to grab because no one plays ranked matches anymore. Last time I checked, it takes about 2 hours to get into 1 ranked match, and this is assuming the match isn't cancelled due to technical difficulties such as disconnecting players.

Plus there is "the six pack" trophy, you basically have to play a ranked match with 6 players who are in your friends list. This is a terribly tough trophy to get because, honestly, what are the odds that you have a total of  6 PATIENT friends who are willing to help you get this trophy?

So ehh in other words, this platinum is INCREDIBLY hard to get nowadays because of impractical reasons. I love it because not very many people have it and it had one of my favorite online multiplayer games.

Thank you for taking the time to fill out the questionnaire this week, Gamefreak_09!

Please use plain text.
Message 75 of 85 (356 Views)
PlayStation MVP
11334 posts

Weekly Highlights (April 27th to May 3rd)

May 8, 2014

Weekly Highlights

(April 27th, 2014 to May 3rd, 2014)

Thread of the Week

Games you wish you never bought...

By Box9Missingo on 05-03-2014 04:01 PM Mountain

Are there some video games you regret purchasing? Tell the community a little bit about them!

Post of the Week

Issues I have with the Vita and why I sold it

By psxsage on 04-27-2014 at 12:45 PM Mountain

What do you think about the PlayStation Vita? Check out this post for some of psxsage’s thoughts.

Poster of the Week

Please use plain text.
Message 76 of 85 (359 Views)
PlayStation MVP
11334 posts

Weekly Highlights [07/06/2014] - [07/12/2014]

[ Edited ]
Jul 21, 2014

WEEKLY HIGHLIGHTS
[07/06/2014] - [07/12/2014]

THREAD OF THE WEEK

DLC's ruining future of gaming?

By vaishal2 on 07-05-2014

Does downloadable content add to a video game or does it just nickel and dime the consumer?

POST OF THE WEEK

Re: What were the 6th gaming generation's Top 100 games?

By GrayGargoyle on 07-06-2014

Check out GrayGargoyle’s list of top 100 video games from the 6th generation and add your own!

POSTER OF THE WEEK

Congratulations, GuRuAsaki2098!

Check out some of this user’s posts in the PlayStation General section.

----------

MEMBER SPOTLIGHT

[GuRuAsaki2098]

A: Grand Theft Auto style RPG / MMORPG type of Game... ^_^

Because it partains to real life... =D

Making GTA5 / Vice City my fave Game ever Made...

A: I have 3, but i'll try to keep 'em short...

1.) Watching TV through Crackle on PS HOME with Friends in HD...

2.) Joining a Loosing Fight on an Online Map in Bad Company 1, I single handedly brought the score back up, & even though my team mates had all left by now... I only lost by I think 1 or 2 Kills or so... I later brought this Experience into so many MAG moments, great times, ^_^

3.) Using the Move for a much tougher way to pull an Arrow out of your Arrow Bag in Sports Champions 1... I could shoot about a 100 Arrows a Second with close to 85% to 90% Bullseyes if not better... As well as have some great Six Axis moments in the Motor Storm Series...

Q: What is your favorite Offline PlayStation video game and what is your favorite Online one?

A: If I had to Choose, Online would be possibly MAG... Offline would possibly be GTA 5...
This is a tough one, there are so many awesome titles out there, ^_^

Q: What was the most challenging PlayStation video game that you ever experienced? Tell us about it!

A: I don't know about specific Game Titles for that matter, but Style Game wise would have to possibly be the Original Style War Craft / C&C Series / Star Craft Series... @_@

A: I started back when there was "Dos / Windows" on my Dad's old PC, it had I think 500 or so mb of HDD Space, I went from Indiana Jones to Carmen Sandiego, to later Apple Games like Oregon Trail & other various Arcade style Games, & thus PC came along with Sim City, & other Sim titles... Then I moved to Hand Helds & Arcade Machines with TMNT, Mega Man, & Mortal Kombat Games...

My first Console was Nintendo with "Mario Brothers / Duck Hunt", "Link / Zelda", Base Warz, & such other Titles...

P. S.: I might play specific Titles, but I do however Play Multi-Platform & just about all Genre...
Different types of Controllers don't bother me, either... ^_^

----------

ADDITIONAL HIGHLIGHTS

Weekly Highlights [07/06] - [07/12]

For additional community highlights please visit this week's thread in the PlayStation General section.

Please use plain text.
Message 77 of 85 (271 Views)
PlayStation MVP
11334 posts

Weekly Highlights [07/13/2014] – [07/19/2014]

[ Edited ]
Jul 21, 2014

WEEKLY HIGHLIGHTS

[07/13/2014] – [07/19/2014]

THREAD OF THE WEEK

What do you guys value most in a game?

By AAscendedSaiyan on 07-13-2014

What are some of the things that you look for in the video games that you play?

POST OF THE WEEK

How do adults feel about playing video games with "kids"?

By MercWithAMouth4W on 07-15-2014

Are you willing to play video games with people who are younger than you?

POSTER OF THE WEEK

Congratulations, expatcat!

Check out some of this user’s posts in the PlayStation General and Off-Topic sections.

----------

MEMBER SPOTLIGHT

[expatcat]

A: Would it be too cheesy if I said I was looking forward to playing Destiny right now? I'm on vacation with no access to my PS4, and the beta is waiting for me at home... but I like to be original, so I'll choose something different. Of all the upcoming releases, I'm extremely excited for The Evil Within. I've been a longtime fan of the horror genre, and after playing games like Amnesia, Dead Space, Silent Hill, Outlast, and The Last of Us, I'm looking forward to a new survival-horror game. Granted, I'm not saying survival-horror is my favorite genre, but it's what I've been craving recently and what I feel there needs to be more of. The Evil Within looks to combine an immersive storyline with true horror, both qualities that I can definitely appreciate. Furthermore, whenever I get a new horror game, I love to invite a friend over and play it with them. Party because it's nice to have someone next to you as you scream at a screen, but also because it's fun to share a horror experience with a close friend, even on a single-player game. I could easily say I'm equally excited for The Order, the new Dragon Age game, Shadow of Mordor and so many more, but I felt this would be my most personal and definitive choice. 

A: When asked if I prefer physical or digital games, I'm faced with a difficult decision and must explain myself, which is why I'm extremely glad that I get to answer this question. Until very recently, I was infatuated with the idea of owning a physical game. To me, the feeling of growing an eternal gaming library on one of my shelves seemed almost magical, and as someone who enjoyed old-school gaming, downloading everything into a virtual library seemed just wrong. I never questioned this choice for a very long time, until I bought a defective copy of InFamous: Second Son at Target. When that disc didn't work, I was confronted with an ultimatum: I could either a) Take the game back the next day and purchase a new one, or b) Download the game now and return the defective one tomorrow. This forced me to evaluate the pro's and con's of physical vs. digital possession, and it pains me to admit that the only justification for a physical game I found was that "Magical" feeling. After years of owning (and losing) physical games, I caved in and switched entirely to digital, and am honestly glad I did. This way, no matter what happens with my game, I can always re-download it from the store. There's proof of purchase online, and I can trust the PS Store to handle my downloads for me, especially with Playstation Plus and automatic downloads. I can play my games across different consoles, pre-order with efficiency, and browse my games far easier than I ever could before. Recently, since, as I mentioned before, I'm on vacation, I've come to appreciate the ability to manage my downloads from my computer. Once I got the Destiny Beta, I activated it and downloaded it to my PS4 remotely from where I am now, knowing that it will be ready when I return home. In the end, it's too hard to make a logical argument for physical games in the modern day, and though I will always miss holding a new game in my hands, virtual is far more efficient.

Q: What do you like the most about PlayStation Plus? How did you hear about this service?

A: Before Playstation Plus, I generally avoided subscription services. I hated the idea of paying regularly for something, because I felt that it could easily get out of control as my financial situation changed. A friend actually talked me into trying it, and when I did, there was no going back. Free games every month, quality titles, automatic downloads and all sorts of discounts for $50 a year? This seemed like a pretty great deal, and it was! The games that went free were ones that I had already thought about buying (Sadly, some of them were ones I already bought. In fact, for a period of time, it seemed like every game I recently bought went free on PS+ shortly after) and the one's that I had never heard of before turned out to be pretty great as well, which leads me to what I appreciate most about Playstation Plus. Despite all the obvious free games and perks, PS+ introduced me to different genre's of gaming, new titles, and helped me expand my interest in games. Without discounted or free games, I would have never discovered some of my favorite titles today. Some of these games I simply didn't think were worth buying before I was able to just download them, and since then I've had a blast. Major titles excluded, I've developed a love for platformers and Indie games that are essentially "recommended" by Playstation Plus once they go free. I can trust the service to deliver quality content, and don't even have to spend that much to explore different areas of the gaming universe! What could be better? 

A: Demons Souls. If it were possible to have an arch-nemesis in gaming, that would be mine. I shamefully admit that I never finished that game, and it still stands as a 1% completion in my trophy list. Never before have I raged at a game like I raged at Demon Souls, and as a somewhat impatient person, I lacked the determination to continue playing. I started and restarted so many times, yet could not stop getting frustrated every time I died or lost everything. Honestly, it was a great and challenging game that I enjoyed at the time, but there was a point where I had to move on to the other games I wanted to play, and I think to this day it might be the only game I've truly "given up" on. Perhaps sometime in the future I will revisit the series through Dark Souls, since I hear quite a bit about it, but until then I will remain unenlightened. 

Q: What is the one platinum trophy that you are proud to have on your PlayStation Profile? What makes it special?

A: I have a strict policy toward Platinum trophies, one that explains why I only currently have 5 of them. The first time I play a game, I do not look at the trophies at all. I want to enjoy my experience without worrying about which trophy to get, or what I should be looking for, or how I should be playing the game. It's nice to hear that little "ding" and get that feeling of accomplishment when I happen across one, but other than that, never on the first playthrough. Therefore, all the games I have a platinum trophy on demonstrate a sense of replayability. The last thing I want is to become "annoyed" with or bored of a game because I was struggling to get the trophy. Many games require you to play on the hardest difficulty setting to obtain a platinum, and that's never any fun if you simply don't enjoy the game. Second Son was an easy platinum for me because, as the gamer, you want to experience both the Good Karma and Bad Karma sides of Delsin. Therefore, the platinum I'm most proud of is Mass Effect 2... not because it was hard, but because it's one of my favorite games and I was interested enough to keep playing and wanted to fully explore the game. As an avid science fiction and fantasy devotee, this series obviously appealed to me in many ways... I loved the mechanics, the storyline, and the customizability of the gamers experience. It was one of those games where you felt like choices truly mattered, and one where you could get close to other characters. I will never forget Mordin Solus' last words: "Had to be me, someone else might've gotten it wrong", and few games have taken me down such an emotional journey, complete with attachment and an utter sense of loss at its conclusion. That platinum trophy came to symbolize, as cheesy as this sounds, my loyalty to the series and my love for the game, one that stayed true until the very end. 

A: The very first videogame system I ever owned was the Nintendo Entertainment System, when I was very young of course. I still remember the childhood days of playing Duck Hunt with my Dad on what seemed to be the coolest machine ever. I didn't really get into gaming until I got my first Gamecube and starting playing the Legend of Zelda. Around that point, I pretty much purchased every system that a Zelda game existed on just so I could play through them all. Although I've been technically playing since I was very young, I would say my true interest started when I was about 7 years old, and I've remained committed throughout these past 11 years (Though my loyalty has shifted from Nintendo to PlayStation for many good reasons). I got my PlayStation 3 as a gift from an electrician that worked for our family (He was a bit sketchy, and after he got fired and accused of stealing drugs from people's homes, we worried that the PS3 was actually stolen and he had just tried to get rid of it. Needless to say, we never told anyone). That's when I got into PlayStation gaming, and rapidly went back to revisit PS2 titles and fell in love. In conclusion, I thank my potentially psycopathetic and criminal electrician for introducing me to PlayStation.

----------

ADDITIONAL HIGHLIGHTS

Weekly Highlights [07/13] - [07/19]

For additional community highlights please visit this week's thread in the PlayStation General section.

Please use plain text.
Message 78 of 85 (203 Views)
PlayStation MVP
11334 posts

Weekly Highlights [07/20/2014] – [07/26/2014]

[ Edited ]
last month

WEEKLY HIGHLIGHTS

[07/20/2014] – [07/26/2014]

THREAD OF THE WEEK

Too much hype in games these days?

By shadoefax on 07-20-2014

What do you think about hype? Do you buy into it? Are video games living up to it?

POST OF THE WEEK

Re: No friends yet :smileytongue:

By Crazy-Maisy on 07-24-2014

Are you looking for more friends on the PlayStation Network? Check out this post for some tips and tricks.

POSTER OF THE WEEK

Congratulations, Xedhadeaus!

Check out some of this user’s posts in the PlayStation General and Off-Topic sections.

---------- 

MEMBER SPOTLIGHT

[Xedhadeaus]

A: For me, The hunting action RPG. Games like monster hunter and God eater burst successfully bring players together to complete otherwise tedious tasks while not binding the player to a strictly online experience. I just wish the genre was seen more on consoles.

A: Probably insomniac. Insomniac has stuck to a genre that clearly came and went several without abandoning itself at all. Just like Spyro, Ratchet and clank serves a clear abundance of fun that never fails, and is reminiscent of times where you could blindly buy sequels or see their logo and just buy it. Their IP Sunset Overdrive, while sad to see is Microsoft exclusive, Brings joy to the idea of me seeing them bring their own experience to different types of games. I really hope they make more titles that they also fully own while they spread their wings after so many years.

A: I'm very torn between decisions here. Especially with the debut of PlayStation Now it may hinder the amount of games that become available to be digital. As it is now, digital is the most accurate and fair way to support developers while enjoying their games, but the prices do not reflect this on consoles very often. As the approach to digital media becomes more viable I would have more faith in my libraries not vanishing entirely in any future. And I welcome a reality of me being able to pass off my accounts to family or children if ever I give up on gaming.

A: My family plays video games so My first console I ever needed to buy for myself was a gameboy advanced. Though I've been gaming ever since I was able to hold a controller, starting with super Mario bros 3

A: Really? PlayStation home. You could meet huundreds of people and discuss practically anything without having to dig or find discussion based groups to do so. There are also games that can be played there to lighten the idea of only using it as a simulator. Even without a cent spent you can meet a wide variety of people to pass the time and get a good idea of what games are worth getting at any point in time, as well as converse about games that have long since been forgotten.

Q: What do you like the most about PlayStation Plus? How did you hear about this service?

A: In my opinion, the value. Having a collection of games while you try the subscription is very appealing, the sales are much better, and while it was new, it was very cool to see specific members with the plus. I didn't actually hear about it however, I ended up asking someone how they had the plus, and what it meant.

----------

ADDITIONAL HIGHLIGHTS

Weekly Highlights [07/20] - [07/26]

Please use plain text.
Message 79 of 85 (146 Views)
PlayStation MVP
11334 posts

Weekly Highlights [07/27/2014] – [08/02/2014]

[ Edited ]
last month

WEEKLY HIGHLIGHTS

[07/27/2014] – [08/02/2014]

THREAD OF THE WEEK

If You Were To Create a PlayStation Slogan

By ossiecastro5 on 08-02-2014

Greatness Awaits. PS4: Where the Greatest Play. What would your PlayStation Slogan be?

POST OF THE WEEK

Re: Why are video games so addicting and so much fun?

By GrayGargoyle on 07-29-2014

Check out this thread for some discussions about the interactive experiences in video games.

POSTER OF THE WEEK

Congratulations, shadoefax!

---------- 

MEMBER SPOTLIGHT

[shadoefax]

A:  I love RPG's because of the storyline, character enhancements, and the magic you can use in your games.  I was introduced to RPG's by my best friend over 15 years ago, and I've been playing them ever since.  

A:  Final Fantasy Type O, definately!  We've waited quite a long time for it and I am anxiously awaiting it.  

A:  Santa Monica Stuidos.  I love all of the God of War Games! 

A:  I purchased an Atari back in the early 1980's, and it was a big deal to those of us who had one in those days.  I've been a video gamer for 30+ years.  

A:  Definately, a physical copy.  I like showing off my game collection and having the luxury of playing them without having to rely on wither the internet or a download to do so.  I still wish we had memory cards!  That's how old fashioned I am.  

A:  I've known about PS+ for years, but until the PS4 I never took advantage of it.  Since having a PS4 I have learned that I've missed quite a lot by not having PS+.  My only regret about that service is not having it sooner.

A:  Having my friends over and playing games.  We'd eat pizza, play our games, and use strategy guides to get through them.  My friends would hang out for hours and we'd play and have a great time together.  I miss those days to be truthful. 

----------

ADDITIONAL HIGHLIGHTS

Weekly Highlights [07/27] - [08/02]

Please use plain text.
Message 80 of 85 (114 Views)
0 Likes