Highlighted
May 27 2013
By: jjjkuk Lombax Warrior 173 posts

What do you think of DLC?

30 replies 221 views Edited May 27, 2013

I'm one of the "veteran" gamers, having begun with the PS one and moved upwards. so the concept of DLC was new and exciting for me when it hit the PS3. Or, at least, I didn't think much of it. Now that I'm used to it and how games have been handled this generation, I'm starting to see it in a different light. A few days ago, I was perusing the DLC for inFamous 2, looking at all the character and weapons skins thinking, "These would've been in-game unlockables in the older generations."  I mean, **bleep**, son, there's so much DLC that could have just been unlockables, but companies these days just separate it to get cashola. Especially that awful "day one" DLC. What the hell kind of cheap-**bleep** company works on extra, separate content while making the core game and hypes it up on sale for day one?

What kind of DLC do you think is justified? The only thing I can think of are things for online games, like maps. Maybe a new separate campaign for single-player like what Borderlands, Dead Space 2 and inFamous 2 had. Something completely different. Also, what kind of content do you believe ought to be free? Obviously the fo' shizzle candidates are the small ones, but should bigger stuff be free, too?

Dunno if I have anything else I want to say, so I'll leave it at this for now.

photo 2224291_zps9f29b322.jpg
This is mah signature. It is a noice signature.
Message 1 of 31 (221 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
742 posts

Re: What do you think of DLC?

May 27, 2013

jjjkuk wrote:

I'm one of the "veteran" gamers, having begun with the PS one and moved upwards. so the concept of DLC was new and exciting for me when it hit the PS3. Or, at least, I didn't think much of it. Now that I'm used to it and how games have been handled this generation, I'm starting to see it in a different light. A few days ago, I was perusing the DLC for inFamous 2, looking at all the character and weapons skins thinking, "These would've been in-game unlockables in the older generations."  I mean, **bleep**, son, there's so much DLC that could have just been unlockables, but companies these days just separate it to get cashola. Especially that awful "day one" DLC. What the hell kind of cheap-**bleep** company works on extra, separate content while making the core game and hypes it up on sale for day one?

What kind of DLC do you think is justified? The only thing I can think of are things for online games, like maps. Maybe a new separate campaign for single-player like what Borderlands, Dead Space 2 and inFamous 2 had. Something completely different. Also, what kind of content do you believe ought to be free? Obviously the fo' shizzle candidates are the small ones, but should bigger stuff be free, too?

There can be good dlc. I love stand alone dlc like Infamous Festival of Blood and Red Dead Redemption's Undead Nightmare or Far Cry 3:Blood Dragon. Stand alone dlc is amazing and often reuses assets from the game it was based on, giving fans of the game more of the same (which is what dlc should be) and newcomers an opportunity to enter too. 

Its a good thing that most standalone dlc has been successful so I hope more publishers push for it over the bloated stuff they do now.

Cosmetics can be a good thing too (as in LBP) as they don't get in the way of play and come afterwards. 

The worst kind of dlc is the type that should be free or launches on day 1. That content should have been reserved for the game and could have been implemented as unlockable content to reward players instead of nick and diming them. Games like Arkham City with Robin and Nightwing was ready at launch (Nightwing didn't even have sufficient voice acting). Last time I support Warner Brothers.

Message 2 of 31 (218 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1368 posts

May 27, 2013
Some content can't make it to the disc before the games ship, hence day 1 dlc. It'd be cool if they just released it for free but then there's a few weeks of work the company isn't making any extra money for. Games are a business after all.
On the other hand companies like Capcom that make you pay for unlocking something that is on the disc is pretty ridiculous..
 photo EZRASIG_zpsf85694e2.jpg
Message 3 of 31 (207 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
13895 posts

May 27, 2013

Gadirok wrote:

jjjkuk wrote:

There can be good dlc. I love stand alone dlc like Infamous Festival of Blood and Red Dead Redemption's Undead Nightmare or Far Cry 3:Blood Dragon. Stand alone dlc is amazing and often reuses assets from the game it was based on, giving fans of the game more of the same (which is what dlc should be) and newcomers an opportunity to enter too. 

Its a good thing that most standalone dlc has been successful so I hope more publishers push for it over the bloated stuff they do now.

Cosmetics can be a good thing too (as in LBP) as they don't get in the way of play and come afterwards. 

The worst kind of dlc is the type that should be free or launches on day 1. That content should have been reserved for the game and could have been implemented as unlockable content to reward players instead of nick and diming them. Games like Arkham City with Robin and Nightwing was ready at launch (Nightwing didn't even have sufficient voice acting). Last time I support Warner Brothers.

Agreed. Hands down. There's stuff that should have been included as part of reserving the game or should have been in the game... like unlocking special levels and related stuff; and then there's stuff that is ok as possibly costing more and is more of something that won't disrupt the game play, like another outfit for the character or an unlockable hidden weapon.

Once companies head into nickel and diming central, it gets rather silly.

Smiley HappyRobot Happy/FAQ and Rules & Conduct//FAQ about reports/Forum Team info/Robot Very Happy/WC Forum Resources/ PSN friends thread/Life and Gaming -- My blog

Playstation customer support numbers: 1-877-971-7669 (for billing and Playstation Network); 1-800-345-7669 (for technical support)
Message 4 of 31 (203 Views)
0 Likes
Survivor
2536 posts

May 27, 2013
I started with a C64, so I guess that'd make me a dinosaur if starting with the PSX makes somebody a veteran. As for DLCs, at first they looked like the successors of expansion packs on PC games, and I was fine with that. Then I saw how companies started milking their franchises for all they were worth through DLCs and I realized how retarded it was~.

That's not to say all present day DLCs are bad. There are a lot of good examples. The last one that comes to mind is for SH: Book of Memories. Not a good game by a long shot but the DLC, which was paid, added a lot of content to warrant the quite reasonable price of $6. Similarly, you see companies doing DLCs for free that also add a lot of content and they feel great: Lord of Arcana (Square Enix), God Eater Burst (Namco Bandai), Soul Sacrifice (SJCE)~.

But take Gravity Rush for example. The three DLCs can be finished each in less than an hour unless you get stuck on the stupid challenges that involve tilt controls. Yet you are paying like $5 each for a new costume and a few quests that, again, don't last much at all~.

Worst offenders are seen in fighting games. Blazblue isn't just an exceptional fighting game, it also features an impressive story. Alas, it's kind of borked that said story has new characters (key characters at that) added later as DLC. I mean..really? Give me all the story from the beginning or just wait to have it all to launch some kind of definitive version. Having to be buying "pieces" of a game is dumb~.

And of course, then you have all the cosmetic crap that is just inane. Remember when costumes were something you could unlock by amassing huge amount of whatever ingame currency the game used? Or by completing challenges? Ya, those days are gone~.

tl;dr; DLCs are one of the many negative things we have to deal with this generation~.
Message 5 of 31 (200 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
15 posts

May 27, 2013
I think it's fine when it's something like Undead Nightmare or the GTA IV expansions.

Cut content is a big no no for me. Day ONE dlc like in Mass Effect 3 is repulsive.
Message 6 of 31 (199 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
742 posts

[ Edited ]
May 27, 2013

EzraMajor wrote:
Some content can't make it to the disc before the games ship, hence day 1 dlc. It'd be cool if they just released it for free but then there's a few weeks of work the company isn't making any extra money for. Games are a business after all.
On the other hand companies like Capcom that make you pay for unlocking something that is on the disc is pretty ridiculous..

Difference is the type of crap Arkham City tried to pull with putting Robin as a preorder exclusive at Bestbuy, then pushing for different maps at different retailers, while the lesser ones got cosmetic dlc ( I have no problem with costetical dlc just the map and full dlc packs). The dlc they delivered was very half-assed with no voice acting in the case of Nightwing and no free roam for either Robin and Nightwing which was a heavily requested feature.

Capcom is ridiculous which is why I think its better to avoid discussion of them.

And if the game went gold they should be focusing on fixing bugs and smaller things while having a team on cosmetics and smaller stuff.

The only day 1 thing I should expect is a patch to fix up some tiny errors and bugs. I usually expect them to only have ideas of the dlc before a game goes gold but if their is full dlc ready by launch and is blatantly nick and diming, then I expect they actually worked on it before the game went gold. That's not a large problem though, unless the game cost you full retail price. I would be more accepting of it if it was a budget title or a free to play game, where that kind of unlockables dlc is acceptable.

But overall dlc can be a good thing when fans want more of the game and it isin't cut content.

Message 7 of 31 (198 Views)
0 Likes
Limit Breaker
18676 posts

May 27, 2013

Concept of DLC is good, but latley, and I can only assume in the future, it will continue to be abused.

RE-THINK SALAD

Message 8 of 31 (187 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
742 posts

May 27, 2013

Setzaroth wrote:

Concept of DLC is good, but latley, and I can only assume in the future, it will continue to be abused.

Publishers realize its a quick and easy way to profit. Season passes are some of the worst offenders when they don't justify the content doesn't justify the price. Its essentially preordering DLC and saving a few bucks.

I'd rather just wait and see the dlc go on sale. I think only Battlefield 3 has done it right, given the season pass actually spread over a years worth in content.

Message 9 of 31 (181 Views)
MVP Support
10186 posts

May 27, 2013
I like story based DLC, that way you can get more story for the games you enjoy, with story based DLC they can also expand on the story as well. Not all day 1 DLC is disc locked though, sometimes when they finish a game, they use a separate budget to start on the DLC, which released day 1. However I do not like disc locked content either, because they stuff is already on the disc, and they want us to pay for what we already payed for when purchasing the game.
Message 10 of 31 (165 Views)
0 Likes