Jan 12 2014
By: younginflavor18 MVP Support 8272 posts

What does respect mean to you while you're on the PlayStation Community Forums?

[ Edited ]
23 replies 317 views Edited Jan 12, 2014

NOTE: I made my font color legible for everyone to read what I'm talking about, and this thread I created has been inspired from one thread I've commented on because I have felt the same way as them about some of the other users' attitudes. 

Do you treat everybody on here with the same acknowledgment, dignity, and consideration while you're on the forums just as it does with real life? Do you respect the other user's point of view with their posts in certain topics, even if you may not like what they're saying? Do you think the concept of having respect for yourself and others is lost because of how we take things on here for granted, or because of one user might have said something that some of us took it personally? 

How do you handle disrespect and bad attitudes from people with their replies to certain topics, even if they are newcomers or veterans on here?

Here are two questions and answers on what it means to me.

Q: What does respect mean to me while I'm on the PlayStation Community Forums?

A: Respect means to me is having courtesy, dignity, and regard for oneself and for others while I'm on here. By listening to what they're talking about with their replies or original posts, even if I am used to seeing users who are highly opinionated or unwelcoming to others. By understanding my boundaries and limitations with my posts whenever a topic goes nowhere or because of a particular troll. By handling criticism from others that might be constructive and benefical. By opening up to being wrong when a user has a point.

Q: How do I handle disrespect while I'm on here?

A: I think before replying to their posts and understanding the ramifications for doing it. If it's mild misbehavior from a user, I simply dismiss it. If it's disrespectful behavior that deserves a report, it's appropiate for me to report it.

If it's a particular user I'm already used to seeing as unwelcoming, very disrespectful, or acting like total jerks to other users, I deny them the satisfaction of a response they want out of me when they reply to my post, or speak my mind to them about their unsportsmanlike attitude and how I am not going to take it lightly next time.

I can understand from some people that not everyone is going to like and respect one another, but I made this topic because I'm used to taking some things on here personally and how I'm going relax and to let it go next time it happens. 

Am I wrong for thinking about this? Do you have any opinions or thoughts on this thread? Feel free to share.

Message 1 of 24 (317 Views)
Fender Bender
2971 posts

Re: What does respect mean to you while you're on the PlayStation Community Forums?

Jan 12, 2014

Great post, youngin. 

I treat people with respect regardless of our differing opinions. Everyone has different political opinions, different opinions on what games are good and bad, etc. That's OK, but I have zero respect for anyone who personally attacks another user. (I'm sure we can all think of a few). I also have zero respect for trolls, such as the ones on the PSASBR forums.

photo Steak_zps70cec71c.jpg
Message 2 of 24 (311 Views)
PlayStation MVP
2599 posts

Re: What does respect mean to you while you're on the PlayStation Community Forums?

Jan 12, 2014
As an MVP I try to respect everyone, as it is in the rules.

But I only respect someone if they respect me, regardless of rules.
Message 3 of 24 (299 Views)
Fender Bender
2339 posts

Jan 12, 2014

All of the above :smileyhappy:  Great post.

Sadly we see too many users who do more bashing than anything else.

Certainly doesn't help keeping the newcomers in as they have know idea who is who.

I think the vast majority of the community is nice and respectful. Only the ones misbehaving overshadow it.

co-founder
The Black Hat Squad/Black Hat Squadron/Novus Black Hats
Novus international elite force
Black Hats website
Black Hats on Facebook
Message 4 of 24 (290 Views)
Welcoming Committee
3781 posts

Jan 12, 2014

Well said sir, I do my best to treat everyone with respect and be helpful around here. I don't see the point of going off on people just because you have a different view on something, it can be debated without name calling and insults. 

Message 5 of 24 (283 Views)
PlayStation MVP
4546 posts

Jan 12, 2014

Respect on these Forums to me is simple, just to read the forum rules and show dignity and understanding.

I try to give respect the best I can. But once someone does something I find rude, they lost it. I admit it, I'm a mean person sometimes, and I hate being like that, especially in posts I find annoying or disrespectful to me. So then again, I may have set myself for some comments.

Sometimes, I have to think twice about posting something about an user's attitude. If it's vulgar, just expect most times if I see, I'm responding back letting them know to not do that.

And great post young, nothing is wrong about this thread.

<

photo evolve_zps9e0e8f3e.jpg

Welcoming Committee   

Message 6 of 24 (277 Views)
MVP Support
7581 posts

Jan 12, 2014

Yes i respect people regardless of their religion,interest or whatever.It is not nice to make fun of someone because they like something and come in jump like a wolf pack to attack just because the person has a different point of view.If i don't agree with the person then i try to give my opinion but of course not resorting to low tactics by making fun of him/her.Besides i don't want to be disrespected that why i respect others.

KANE-FIRE

Message 7 of 24 (273 Views)
Fender Bender
3590 posts

Jan 12, 2014
Treat others the way ya would want 2 be treated yourself....
Your 1st and ONLY 2-Time 2013 Digital Lesuire's Queen Of War!!~~

Never ask questions you don't wanna know da answers to!!~~

You don't have 2 love me,You don't even have 2 like me, But you WILL Respect me!!~~

The Fear of Death, is far greater then Death itself,
The Fear of the Unknown is the greatest fear of them all!!

The Undertaker!!~~
Message 8 of 24 (250 Views)
PlayStation MVP
889 posts

Jan 12, 2014

It is so much easier to find the information you are seeking when you do not have to weed through several threads stuffed with people trolling,  If everyone would just go onto a forum with the thought in the back of your mind that your little old grandmother may read what you are writing then maybe people would start being nicer and more respectful to one another.  Even if someone makes a rude comment to me I always try to think of it as this person is probably just looking for a reaction so be the better person always and ignore the bad stuff.  Everyone have a great day..

RISE_UP44
Message 9 of 24 (230 Views)
Welcoming Committee
10381 posts

Jan 12, 2014
Good post, Youngin, Treating others with respect is a really good start, along with just doing your best to have fun and to listen to what others have to say view wise. As for trolling, best thing is just to ignore it, but if it gets to the point where it's abusive, then reporting is about the best thing to do.
Message 10 of 24 (210 Views)