Nov 30 2013
By: JOKERSHENCHMAN Uncharted Territory 2053 posts

What happened to these forums?

76 replies 286 views Edited Nov 30, 2013

Around the dark times of the great and horrible "PSN IS DOWN, SACRIFICE YOUR DUALSHOCKS TO APPEASE THE BLOOD GODS" fiasco, I stopped coming to these forums because there were very few active members left, and 99.999% of posts consisted of "is PSN back up yet?"

I sporadically came and went in the time that followed until now. I bought a PS4 day one and returned to the forums looking for new friends, happy to see that the forum was active again, but sad to see it has devolved into about 80% new users that can't even form a coherent sentence, and 20% users who have been here for quite a while like myself and can actually post something intelligent. (At least I HOPE I'm posting something intelligent).

It makes me sad, really. I used to be able to come here and talk with other like-minded people about Playstation and video games in general, make new friends and participate in events and such. Now I come here (meaning the forums in general, not just Off Topic) and see almost nothing but garbage, trolls, and Playstation General has devolved into trolls posting the same things over and over again. (e.g, "PS4 has no games and you're all idiots for buying one and i'm an entitled brat who has to have everything right now.")

Maybe that was a little exaggerated, but you see my point.

So are there any people left here who have a genuine passion and knowledge about video games and are interested in making a change in these forums for the better?

photo 77fc1ce2-cb52-4a96-a32f-4b687a5d219a_zps58b38293.jpg
Message 1 of 77 (286 Views)
Limit Breaker
18676 posts

Re: What happened to these forums?

Nov 30, 2013

JOKERSHENCHMAN wrote:

Around the dark times of the great and horrible "PSN IS DOWN, SACRIFICE YOUR DUALSHOCKS TO APPEASE THE BLOOD GODS" fiasco, I stopped coming to these forums because there were very few active members left, and 99.999% of posts consisted of "is PSN back up yet?"

I sporadically came and went in the time that followed until now. I bought a PS4 day one and returned to the forums looking for new friends, happy to see that the forum was active again, but sad to see it has devolved into about 80% new users that can't even form a coherent sentence, and 20% users who have been here for quite a while like myself and can actually post something intelligent. (At least I HOPE I'm posting something intelligent).

It makes me sad, really. I used to be able to come here and talk with other like-minded people about Playstation and video games in general, make new friends and participate in events and such. Now I come here (meaning the forums in general, not just Off Topic) and see almost nothing but garbage, trolls, and Playstation General has devolved into trolls posting the same things over and over again. (e.g, "PS4 has no games and you're all idiots for buying one and i'm an entitled brat who has to have everything right now.")

So are there any people left here who have a genuine passion and knowledge about video games and are interested in making a change in these forums for the better?

Yes, well, that's what happens when you come to a forum right after the drop of a new piece of hardware. You can still do everything you've talked about, there's just, currently some extra crap to wade through.

RE-THINK SALAD

Message 2 of 77 (279 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
2053 posts

[ Edited ]
Nov 30, 2013

Setzaroth wrote:

JOKERSHENCHMAN wrote:

Yes, well, that's what happens when you come to a forum right after the drop of a new piece of hardware. You can still do everything you've talked about, there's just, currently some extra crap to wade through.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________

I've noticed this. Smiley Tongue It just seems like whenever I try to participate in a good thread, it always gets derailed by an obvious troll, everyone starts arguing, then the thread gets deleted. Maybe I've just had bad luck so far.

Message 3 of 77 (271 Views)
0 Likes
Survivor
2377 posts

Nov 30, 2013

We need to get rid of the upper class in the forum who rip you to shreds if you pick on one.

Busty brunnette
Message 4 of 77 (270 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
1581 posts

Nov 30, 2013

JOKERSHENCHMAN wrote:

Actually, I found that there are a good number of valid video game related discussions going at any given time.  They just get buried by the post count regulars or trolls, or a combination of both.  If you say anything negative about Sony or even mention PC gaming, its like a scene from World War Z.

I've met some great people here, had some great discussions about various topics.  The good ones are around, both players and discussions, you just gotta keep looking, and watch your step in the minefield.

doc shady signature
Message 5 of 77 (260 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
6980 posts

[ Edited ]
Nov 30, 2013

I look at PS general maybe once a week ever since the ps4 came out. Off-Topic may have a couple foolish threads here and there but it may be the fact that I'm too caught up in Dragon's Dogma to look at every new thread that comes around. 

Smiley Mad

JayJay 2515 signature

2 time Face of The WWE Champion
Message 6 of 77 (256 Views)
0 Likes
Limit Breaker
18676 posts

Nov 30, 2013

lII-Venom-lII wrote:

We need to get rid of the upper class in the forum who rip you to shreds if you pick on one.

Silence peasant.

Spoiler
Smiley Tongue

RE-THINK SALAD

Message 7 of 77 (256 Views)
Last Guardian
9469 posts

Nov 30, 2013

Find a better community if you don't like it here simple as that. I agree with Setz, there's some extra crap to wade through but isn't that the case in every community? 

id 69 signature

"How do you prove that you exist...? Maybe we don't exist..."

Message 8 of 77 (250 Views)
0 Likes
Ghost of Sparta
13569 posts

Nov 30, 2013

lII-Venom-lII wrote:

There shouldn't be any class. We are all gamers. Period.

Message 9 of 77 (251 Views)
Uncharted Territory
2053 posts

Nov 30, 2013

ID-69 wrote:

Find a better community if you don't like it here simple as that. I agree with Setz, there's some extra crap to wade through but isn't that the case in every community? 

I never said I don't like it here, this is the only forum I frequent. I'm saying I don't like what it's become. Hopefully the trolls will get bored and go bother some other forum.

Message 10 of 77 (238 Views)