Aug 06 2011
By: Silbot92 Splicer 48 posts

What's the best way to buy a new computer (PC)?

13 replies 14 views Edited Aug 6, 2011

I have an outdated standard desktop and I want to upgrade to a nice laptop. The first place I think of is Best Buy, the only problem is that sometimes they're not exactly the "Best Buy" lol. For example: you can buy an HDMI Cable for $30 at Best Buy, or you can buy that exact same HDMI Cable on Amazon.com for $2. I would prefer to buy one brand new rather than refurbished, but I also don't want to pay $500 to $1000 for a good laptop. thanks for any help or ideas.

I'm not a huge computer nerd but I do have a few basic requirements. It's gotta have:

Windows 7

At least 2 USB ports

HDMI port

A decent amount of GB Space and RAM

Fast core processor with HD streaming

A decent gaming laptop that can play games like WoW great.

At least 17" HD screen.

Message 1 of 14 (14 Views)
0 Likes
Big Daddy
19370 posts

Re: What's the best way to buy a new computer (PC)?

Aug 6, 2011

Best way? Shop around. Check all sorts of stores, Wal-Mart, Best Buy, Tigerdirect, Newegg, Amazon, and many other places.

Though for what you are asking, new, you're probably looking at $600 minimum.

Message 2 of 14 (14 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
48 posts

Aug 6, 2011

Solar_Difusion wrote:

Best way? Shop around. Check all sorts of stores, Wal-Mart, Best Buy, Tigerdirect, Newegg, Amazon, and many other places.

Though for what you are asking, new, you're probably looking at $600 minimum.

Yeah well I just meant was there any legit website or something that didn't oversell laptops. thanks for the price range though, gives me an idea.

Message 3 of 14 (14 Views)
0 Likes
Big Daddy
19370 posts

Aug 6, 2011

tigerdirect, newegg, amazon. they are decent places to look.

Message 4 of 14 (14 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
4918 posts

Aug 6, 2011

I recently purchased a gaming PC from Newegg. It was a wonderful experience. I'd highly recommend that you check there.

Message 5 of 14 (14 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
6512 posts

[ Edited ]
Mar 20, 2015

Message 6 of 14 (14 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
2197 posts

Aug 9, 2011

How important is a 17" laptop? Could you sacrifice 2 inches and get a 15" laptop for $200 less?

When I bought my computer (Just over a year ago), I built it at ibuypower. They build gaming PC's and let you customize the hardware, including the mouse and keyboard, and even software, all from their website, then ship it to you.

There were tons of options for me to build my computer, but it's a desktop. A laptop will have a lot less customability. You can only change the processor, RAM, and hard drive on the laptop I checked there.

The cheapest laptops ibuypower have are a 17" laptop at $1109, and a 15" laptop at $839. According to them, they can run modern games at medium-high graphics settings. (but then again, they are a business, and businesses like stretching the truth) You can make them cost a bit less by downgrading some of the hardware.

I'm just stating an option, as  no one has yet suggested building a PC rather than buying a pre-build one. There are other places where you can build PC'c from a website, I just can't remember them right now...

Here is the link to them if you're interested: http://www.ibuypower.com/

Gojet-64 is now Encvell. (Gojet-64 is now only used for older games and Vita)
Back up your PS3's and PS4's hard drives!
Try repairing your corrupted hard drive without losing data, here.
Message 7 of 14 (14 Views)
0 Likes
Highlighted
Splicer
48 posts

Aug 9, 2011

Alright, thanks for the Feedback. I could go for a 15 inch, 17 was just preferable. An HDMI port is an extra I can sacrifice too. When I do buy my new computer I just want it to be all around fast, have at least 3 GB's of memory and a decent hard drive space. Not to mention be able to watch HD YouTube videos with no problem. And gaming isn't a big issue either. The only Computer game I play (ed) is WoW, I plan on playing the upcoming SW: The Old Republic too. Newegg looks like a good site. Thnx again.

Message 8 of 14 (14 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
7836 posts

Aug 9, 2011

You'll definitely get a better value building your own PC, or even just buying a desktop. But if you plan on getting a laptop just know you won't be playing Crysis 2 on it at very high. A decent laptop should be able to play Star Wars and WoW. Definitely check out Newegg, Tigerdirect, and your local best buy. See what has the best deals.

Did a quick search. It's going to be hard to find a 17 inch laptop with a decent graphics card for under 500.

Survivor of an earthquake, hurricane, and multiple tornadoes in one week. g@m
Halladay, Lee, Hamels, Utley, Pence, Price, Longo, Briere, Jags

Message 9 of 14 (14 Views)
0 Likes
Big Daddy
19370 posts

Aug 9, 2011

Silbot92 wrote:

Alright, thanks for the Feedback. I could go for a 15 inch, 17 was just preferable. An HDMI port is an extra I can sacrifice too. When I do buy my new computer I just want it to be all around fast, have at least 3 GB's of memory and a decent hard drive space. Not to mention be able to watch HD YouTube videos with no problem. And gaming isn't a big issue either. The only Computer game I play (ed) is WoW, I plan on playing the upcoming SW: The Old Republic too. Newegg looks like a good site. Thnx again.

The HDMI port is probably going to be on any laptop you look at right now, so you probably will not have to sacrifice that.

Message 10 of 14 (14 Views)
0 Likes