Highlighted
Jan 16 2014
By: xymox333 Lombax Warrior 240 posts

Who's to blame? Gamers or Developers for lack of new IP's, ideas and constant rehashes?

29 replies 356 views Edited Jan 16, 2014

I was Recently taking a look at all of the 8th gen systems game line-ups and exlusives. And then I noticed something, This gen is starting out exactly how the 7th gen started. Almost nothing but existing IP's and rehashes.

Now the problem is. Who do we blame?

It is becoming clear that the "Next-Gen" systems PS4 and Xbox One. Were extreamly overhyped, and that the graphical leap gamers were expecting just wasn't there (but these are launch titles so that could change).

Now that the hype has died down and people realize that there are three other Next-gen systems in the form of Wii U, Ps Vita, And 3DS. Let's start with the developers. The 7th gen seemed to be the rise of the First person-shooter and I almost skipped out because every game looked and felt the same (thank god the Psp came to save me lol).

The main reason for this was because Call Of Duty was sellling huge numbers and most other games couldn't keep up. So devs started to play copy cat. Almost every game that came out was a first-person shooter so I figured I would try something new and (aside from my Psp) went Pc. This proved to be a bad move because of the cost and the fact that (aside from indies) it was much of the same there.

It seemed like devs had lost almost all of there creativity, almost every game felt like Call Of Duty. Now while there were some great First-person shooters (Left 4 dead 1 is still fun to play even now) and some gems like little big planet and the shockingly fun motion controls on wii fit and many other games.

It seemed like gaming was about to take a nose dive off a cliff. Devs were focusing less on gameplay and more on graphics, instead of games we were getting movies (I'm sorry but Uncharted is a good example) that we could press a button and control every now and then.

We started seeing less new IP's and more of the same franchises with just some new gameplay and a new story, How real the game looked became more important then replayability, to say devs seemed to run dry on ideas would be a understament. But what about the gamers? what part did they play in this?

The 7th gen seemed to be the generation were gamers forgot that a handheld system was still a console. And now playing mario had become kiddy, Nintindo was for kids. Playstation and xbox was where all of the "real" and "hardcore"  Gamers were. The Teens and Adults. 

Blame can also be placed on gamers for lack of new IP's and ideas. If it was not a First person-shooter or sports game people were not buying it. Now gamers Only wanted games from franchises they knew which meant most new IP's were sent out to die. Very few managed to break the glass celling. I call it the glass celling because new devs and ther new games could see the success but were never able to get through.

When a company would release a new IP gamers would rip it apart because it wasn't like Call Of Duty or Assassin's Creed, or sometimes it was to much like Call Of Duty or Assassin's Creed this also caused somthing else to happen. Gamers did not want to risk buying a new IP so instead got that new Call Of Duty, but at the same time wanted more content. Devs did not want to risk making a New IP just to have gamers ignore it and lose millons in money. So they needed something else.

Gamers wanted more content on newest yearly release of Call Of Duty, devs saw a instant cash grab. Hello DLC! Now devs started to release half complete games so they could have DLC later and then release a ultimate edition. This **bleep** alot of gamers off so they started demanding more new IP's be made. But the problem was when A company would answer the call and go for it. Gamers would compare it to this game or that game until They just went back to what they know. And when a team of game developers did create a new IP That took off, in fear of losing there fans and sales. They would stick to it and those new IP's would turn into franchises that we no well today (Uncharted, Assassin's Cree..ect.ect).

So now the qustion is. Who do we blame? Gamers? Developers? Or was it just a mix of both? My opinion is that both had alot to do with lack of new IP's, Ideas...ect.ect but what do you think?

As always this is my opinion and you don't have to agree but I want your thoughts. And I no the post is long but try to read It to the end. You don't have to (of course you no that lol) but I would like it if you did.

Message 1 of 30 (356 Views)
Survivor
1817 posts

Re: Who's to blame? Gamers or Developers for lack of new IP's, ideas and constant rehashes?

[ Edited ]
Jan 16, 2014

The rising costs of producing games makes taking risks less appealing to developers, especially when gamers continue to prove they'll buy the same basic titles over and over again.

Message 2 of 30 (347 Views)
VP of Gaming
34138 posts

Re: Who's to blame? Gamers or Developers for lack of new IP's, ideas and constant rehashes?

[ Edited ]
Jan 16, 2014

its the developers and publishers faults by trying to recapture past successes.

the current trend of reboots and rehashes isnt doing well in terms of sales and/or reviews.

example, FFXIII and Square-Enix.

they are trying to recapture the success of FFXIII with each sequel. but each sequels sales plumet and the reviews get more mediocre.

this is the case with a lot of devs. who are either trying to recapture success or are in a comfort zone, meaning they would rather make a mediocre game people will buy than risk making a new IP that may bomb and they will lose a lot of money.

and sadly, devs wont learn different until that one rehash they release does so bad they wish they had made a new IP.

but theres always an exception to the rule, and thus we have Nintendo.

Message 3 of 30 (343 Views)
Fender Bender
3321 posts

Jan 16, 2014

Gamers for continuing to buy sequels and rehashes, and maybe some developers for running out of ideas.

Twitter: @XenokingX
Message 4 of 30 (339 Views)
Platinum
55190 posts

Jan 16, 2014

I blame the game developers for their lack of creativity.  Just like I blame movie producers for the fact that instead of coming up with new, cool, movie ideas they just remake superman or spiderman for the 4th time........

Message 5 of 30 (300 Views)
Keyblade Wielder
9869 posts

Jan 16, 2014
I think it's safer to release sequels to Call of Duty as it's a game that sells millions of copies and makes Activision pockets full of money. Plus you have DLC and people will buy the Season Pass for one lump sum instead of paying for each map when it releases.

If a developer decided to create a new IP, like say Sleeping Dogs for example. It might not sell well to say an established franchise like DmC, God of War, Halo, Assassin's Creed, etc. I like new IP's to happen more often but the reality is that most gamers ain't into it. They rather buy FPS games which are all the rage now and developers see COD/BF selling like hotcakes so they want a piece of the action trying to compete against them.

I also blame gamers, we are the ones who decide what is in or not in today's market of videogames. We can chose to buy COD or can say let's skip COD as it's the same rehash every year and go with something different like The Last of Us, which is a new IP.

Also development cost are high so it gets expensive to make videogames so that plays a facter as well.
Message 6 of 30 (290 Views)
Fender Bender
3207 posts

Jan 16, 2014

Both. For the gamers who only want to play the samething over and over again and for the developers listening to these type of gamers.

"I'm not a failure because I didn't win, I'm a failure because I didn't try." - Kev

Youtube: akirasolidentertainment
Message 7 of 30 (288 Views)
Last Guardian
9937 posts

[ Edited ]
Jan 16, 2014
Sony makes new IPs every year. I could list several just last year alone. But just because COD outsold The Last of Us doesn't mean developers aren't making new IPs.

The only people who even buy COD anyway are the casual gamers. Core gamers are getting tired of COD and agree it needs a long break to bring true innovation to the series.

But to answer your question, I'd have to say it's the Gamer's fault. If a game doesn't sell, the devs are going to stop making that game or franchise. The only reason those games work is because people buy them.

When gamers wake up and realize they are some real amazing games out there that aren't so brain dead as COD, then I think maybe we'll see a change in gaming's direction.
 photo Hammer Girl_zpsnrg29qur.jpg
Message 8 of 30 (282 Views)
0 Likes
Ghost of Sparta
13633 posts

Jan 16, 2014
I honestly will place more blame on gamers here, though neither is without fault.

Games are made to make money for the devs and publishers; if they don't make money, they don't get made.

Since gamers buy sequels and the same games year after year (looks at CoD), that's what the devs/publishers give them.

If gamers bought new IPs and all...more would be made...
Message 9 of 30 (278 Views)
Sackboy
426 posts

Jan 16, 2014

Just blame me. 

photo Untitled_zps78a0672e.png
Message 10 of 30 (270 Views)
0 Likes