Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Dec 01 2013
By: myalana Ghost of Sparta 7476 posts

Why Would You/ Why DID You Become An MVP?

331 replies 558 views Edited Dec 1, 2013

Not so long ago, we had some additions to the MVP program. I'm curious what motivates a person to apply to the program. If you are an MVP, do you feel as though you are helping the community? Would you/did you apply with that being your motivation? Do you feel as though MVPs should be held to a higher standard? I never really had the desire to hold the title myself so I'm trying to understand it. Please discuss.

Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 332 (558 Views)
VP of Gaming
29439 posts

Re: Why Would You/ Why DID You Become An MVP?

Dec 1, 2013

i think some mvp members feel cooler/more special now that they are mvps

i would not want to become an mvp at all

Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 332 (556 Views)
Fender Bender
2971 posts

Dec 1, 2013

I'd love to be an MVP. 

Spoiler
With my new powers, I would destroy the Home forums. Mwahaha.

photo Steak_zps70cec71c.jpg
Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 332 (547 Views)
Fender Bender
3825 posts

Dec 1, 2013

I think with my past, they would throw away my application the minute I submitted it :smileytongue:

KZMProductionsGT
Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 332 (541 Views)
Fender Bender
3513 posts

[ Edited ]
Dec 1, 2013

myalana wrote:

Not so long ago, we had some additions to the MVP program. I'm curious what motivates a person to apply to the program. If you are an MVP, do you feel as though you are helping the community? Would you/did you apply with that being your motivation? Do you feel as though MVPs should be held to a higher standard? I never really had the desire to hold the title myself so I'm trying to understand it. Please discuss.

Obviously, the title and rank motivates some people. For oithers I think they want to be a MVP because they want to help out and that they deserve the MVP status because of their contributions and participation in the community.

I think they should be held to a higher standard. If they are a "Most Valued PlayStationer" or whatever MVP stands for, I see them as representatives of the community. If there is a MVP who is not representing the community well, such as bashing and insultng other users, why are they a MVP? I would think of them as not deserving to be one.

Spoiler

My personal thoughts:

I don't want to become a MVP. I feel that I don't deserve to be one and would just rather be another regular forumer.

Also, with the MVP rank, you can't win custom titles. :smileytongue:

Please use plain text.
Message 5 of 332 (532 Views)
PlayStation MVP
6148 posts

[ Edited ]
Dec 1, 2013

MVP's are not higher than anyone else they are just like us people who help the community by helping answering questions,making guides etc the only difference is that they have a special rank and also have a private forum for feedback and ideas.You don't need to be a MVP to help the community if you like to help but don't want to apply for the program there nothing wrong about that.

KANE-FIRE

Twitter  Welcoming Committee [INFO] Dust: An Elysian Tail[INFO] Final Fantasy Type-0 HD  [INFO] WWE2K15 [INFO] Resident Evil Revelations 2 [INFO] Resident Evil HD Youtube

Please use plain text.
Message 6 of 332 (530 Views)
PlayStation MVP
6148 posts

Dec 1, 2013

KZMProductionsGT wrote:

I think with my past, they would throw away my application the minute I submitted it :smileytongue:

Past suspensions don't count they only count while you are in the program.So yes you can apply and be selected.

KANE-FIRE

Twitter  Welcoming Committee [INFO] Dust: An Elysian Tail[INFO] Final Fantasy Type-0 HD  [INFO] WWE2K15 [INFO] Resident Evil Revelations 2 [INFO] Resident Evil HD Youtube

Please use plain text.
Message 7 of 332 (522 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
4914 posts

Dec 1, 2013
There was a time when I thought it would be nice to be a MVP, back when a MVP was a longtime member of the community in good standing who was recognized by their peers.

Now that it is just an application to be filled out, to me it has lost it's prestige. That's not a shot at any of the new MVPs, just my own personal opinion.
Please use plain text.
Message 8 of 332 (519 Views)
PlayStation MVP
18439 posts

Dec 1, 2013

taker-77 wrote:
Now that it is just an application to be filled out, to me it has lost it's prestige. That's not a shot at any of the new MVPs, just my own personal opinion.

To me, the prestige is lost because there are just so many MVPs in the program now. Back in the early days, it was a forum based recognition program that highlighted good posters and gave them enough prestige as to be uncommon, but also noticeable.

Now that colors are gone and we really don't stand out, there is far less incentive to actually become one. You'll be lost in a sea of MVPs you've most likely never even heard of (and probably won't, considering they won't ever use these forums) and you'll get a dull rank icon. Not to mention, I'm not even in the list of official MVPs in the FAQ thread (most likely because I was left out by accident), so you'll possibly be seeing even MORE that you didn't even know were in the program and not on that list.

I understand what the program is trying to become, but making the program more than just a forum thing is really devaluing the program, mainly because you won't ever see any benefits outside of these forums. Along with that, the program is trying to expand outside of the forums, which just seems contradictory to any kind of notability given by the program.

So really, it seems as though it's expanding with the main benefits being taken away from these forums. I can't say that's a good thing for those of us who dedicated our time to these forums, got the rank, and slowly got those special things taken away from us.

Please use plain text.
Message 9 of 332 (505 Views)
Ghost of Sparta
7476 posts

Dec 1, 2013

KANE-FIRE wrote:

MVP's are not higher than anyone else they are just like us people who help the community by helping answering questions,making guides etc the only difference is that they have a special rank and also have a private forum for feedback and ideas.You don't need to be a MVP to help the community if you like to help but don't want to apply for the program there nothing wrong about that.

So, why the special designation Kane? I will say that some seem to deserve the title more than others. Some, well, they seem to demonstrate an air of superiority and an overly antagonistic attitude. Others seem comletely indifferent and post very infrequently if at all. If they hold the title yet don't interact on the Forum or do so in such a arrogant manner, should they even be an MVP?

Please use plain text.
Message 10 of 332 (499 Views)