5474 posts

Re: Xbox One WON'T include a headset

Jun 26, 2013

Eddeh07 wrote:

Grindhead_Jim wrote:

xNeurosiis wrote:

Grindhead_Jim wrote:

Litsa_Kardassis wrote:
They wernt horrible, just BR was overall a finer picture especially now with movies being released on dual layer discs.

If the transfers were identical, I really couldn't tell a difference.  Now, there are a LOT of bad transfers to Hi Def to this day, so, if I have any gripes, that's been one from day one.  This is why you see so many rereleases of movies on BR - they screwed it up the first time (as an industry for high definition, not as a format).

But a lot of movies that look bad, either just have bad transfers (like you said), or they're really old and that actually makes them look worse by being on BD, since you can see every imperfection, flaw, and artifact.

Then you have the flipside, where older films look phenomenaly better: Road Warrior, Texas Chainsaw Massacre, Dawn of the Dead (original), etc.

A lot of that comes down more to the scan/ restoration of the film itself, the steps that happen before you start to encode for BD or HD-DVD.  

I have to say, especially when that media was first coming out, there were very few opportunities to really screen them both side by side on a large enough projection to really analyse which image holds up better, but to a very large degree they variances were negligible.  Like I say, it came much more down to how the images were handled BEFORE compression to one or the other disc (at which point my understanding is that the data rates were basically the same).

In fact, the tipping point and main reason that HD-DVD lost that war, was that for whatever reason the "adult video" industry decided to adopt Blu-Ray as their official format.  Allegedly, they are to this day still responsible for by far the biggest share of the BD market.  

Happened with Betamax, happened with VHS, one of the reasons Lazerdisc never really soared, and if we weren't slowly switching over to largely 'tape-less' media, it would probably have happened again.

....True story!

Well, initially, they adopted HD-DVD.  They later switched to BR, after HD-DVD announced its defeat.  Your history is otherwise correct.

I will also say that raw film (i.e., unrestored) can have vastly-different looking transfers, depending on the method used.  Yes, restoration makes a difference, but, many of the rereleases have simply been the same source recoded.

Grindhead_Jim

Message 31 of 34 (86 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
221 posts

Jun 26, 2013

Grindhead_Jim wrote:

I will also say that raw film (i.e., unrestored) can have vastly-different looking transfers, depending on the method used.  Yes, restoration makes a difference, but, many of the rereleases have simply been the same source recoded.

Right, which is why it largely comes down to the scan itself.  If that film has been canned in a nice environment, and hasn't turned to liquid (!), then it's amazing what you can still pull out of the rushes.  A good multi-part scan can pull out an insane amount of detail in the shadows and highlights that may not have been there in som of the original theatrical prints.

If you haven't already had a chance, check out the latest BD copy of Lawrence of Arabia (the one that was released last summer).  Whoever was in charge of that has done a bang up job!  It looks absolutely incredible

Message 32 of 34 (82 Views)
Highlighted
Splicer
66 posts

Jun 27, 2013

how did this subject  go from headset to debate about br n hd players lmao

Dont believe me just watch
Message 33 of 34 (57 Views)
Lombax Warrior
221 posts

[ Edited ]
Jun 27, 2013

I was questioning that myself the second I wrote the words "adult entertainment".

So, in an effort to make things stomachable, if I can pull the discussion back to one unified point:

Lawrence of Arabia looks amazing on blu-ray!

Message 34 of 34 (53 Views)
0 Likes