Big Daddy
18072 posts

Re: "Like a Girl"

[ Edited ]
Jul 2, 2014

RegPoster wrote:
So you're saying girls should be more like boys...
We already have lesbians.

i'm guessing you are one of those who believe gaming is also for boys.. ?.  interesting.. :smileyindifferent:

is it wrong for a parent to teach what he/she knows to his/her children?

Setzaroth wrote:

First of all, I don't know anyone that runs like that unless they are severely disabled.

Secondly, this is obnoxious, simply another "equality" click bait video designed to generate add revenue. Breaking news, genders are different. It seems "equal rights" and "equality" these days seeks only to demonize any differences, and put everyone in a colorless identity-less box, where you can't get your feelings hurt by reality. Females are biologically weaker, and typically are not as inherently athletic as males. That's just the way it is. It shouldn't be a surprise to anyone that there is a stereotype out there that exaggerates the uncoordinated nature of most young girls. 

i agree for most part.. genetics

but stating that they "are not as intherrenlty athletic"..

this part i can't really agree on...

you don't believe a woman can be as athletic as a man?..  are we having women vs men at a sport in a test of strength or something?.

i believe women are weaker than men.. yes.. but they are as athletic as men

*but there's one part in the movie that was interesting to me as well..-- is when they asked the boy "aren't you insulting your sister as well ?"  ..

his answer was interesting.. :smileylol:   he realized it right after....

What Are Internet TROLLS ?
To QUOTE- TOP RIGHT of the reply box - To MULTI-QUOTE
PSP and PS3 owner..YES...i still play the LAST GEN systems
****still waiting for The LAST GUARDIAN****
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Message 11 of 40 (208 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
573 posts

Jul 2, 2014

Setzaroth wrote:

Gender is a biological factor, it is inherent, it is a fact, as is muscle development during puberty.

you mean the cultural "nature" instilled by social construct? yeah, that's not biological - that's thousands of years of sexual repression. female bodybuilding is a thing. just because the feminist movement into a modern era where it seems "more appropriate" for females to be active in muscle building and athleticism doesn't make it biologically inherent.

actually, you know what, i'm not having this conversation with you. your'e wrong - and you're a **bleep** moron. i'm not having a discussion because you're not worth the time.

ferguson is a weird name for an iraqi village
Message 12 of 40 (199 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
17682 posts

Jul 2, 2014

hannah-goes-rawr wrote:

Setzaroth wrote:

Gender is a biological factor, it is inherent, it is a fact, as is muscle development during puberty.

you mean the cultural "nature" instilled by social construct? yeah, that's not biological - that's thousands of years of sexual repression. female bodybuilding is a thing. just because the feminist movement into a modern era where it seems "more appropriate" for females to be active in muscle building and athleticism doesn't make it biologically inherent.

actually, you know what, i'm not having this conversation with you. your'e wrong - and you're a **bleep** moron. i'm not having a discussion because you're not worth the time.

Do you know what the word inherently means? That means naturally, without outsite forces.

I don't care if women body-build or become athletic, that has nothing to do with what I was talking about.

Message 13 of 40 (194 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
17682 posts

Jul 2, 2014

Strength and muscle characteristics were examined in biceps brachii and vastus lateralis of eight men and eight women. Measurements included motor unit number, size and activation and voluntary strength of the elbow flexors and knee extensors. Fiber areas and type were determined from needle biopsies and muscle areas by computerized tomographical scanning.

The women were approximately 52% and 66% as strong as the men in the upper and lower body respectively. The men were also stronger relative to lean body mass. A significant correlation was found between strength and muscle cross-sectional area (CSA; P < or = 0.05). The women had 45, 41, 30 and 25% smaller muscle CSAs for the biceps brachii, total elbow flexors, vastus lateralis and total knee extensors respectively.

The men had significantly larger type I fiber areas (4597 vs 3483 microns2) and mean fiber areas (6632 vs 3963 microns2) than the women in biceps brachii and significantly larger type II fiber areas (7700 vs 4040 microns2) and mean fiber areas (7070 vs 4290 microns2) in vastus lateralis. No significant gender difference was found in the strength to CSA ratio for elbow flexion or knee extension, in biceps fiber number (180,620 in men vs 156,872 in women), muscle area to fiber area ratio in the vastus lateralis 451,468 vs 465,007) or any motor unit characteristics. Data suggest that the greater strength of the men was due primarily to larger fibers. The greater gender difference in upper body strength can probably be attributed to the fact that women tend to have a lower proportion of their lean tissue distributed in the upper body.

/Thread

Message 14 of 40 (186 Views)
I Only Post Everything
832 posts

Jul 2, 2014
Gaming is for boys..
You will never see a developer targeting video games for girls other than having a separate genre of gaming specifically for them. Same with toys.
Girls should be girls. Simple. End of story.
Message 15 of 40 (183 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1513 posts

[ Edited ]
Jul 2, 2014

Setzaroth wrote:

Strength and muscle characteristics were examined in biceps brachii and vastus lateralis of eight men and eight women. Measurements included motor unit number, size and activation and voluntary strength of the elbow flexors and knee extensors. Fiber areas and type were determined from needle biopsies and muscle areas by computerized tomographical scanning.

The women were approximately 52% and 66% as strong as the men in the upper and lower body respectively. The men were also stronger relative to lean body mass. A significant correlation was found between strength and muscle cross-sectional area (CSA; P < or = 0.05). The women had 45, 41, 30 and 25% smaller muscle CSAs for the biceps brachii, total elbow flexors, vastus lateralis and total knee extensors respectively.

The men had significantly larger type I fiber areas (4597 vs 3483 microns2) and mean fiber areas (6632 vs 3963 microns2) than the women in biceps brachii and significantly larger type II fiber areas (7700 vs 4040 microns2) and mean fiber areas (7070 vs 4290 microns2) in vastus lateralis. No significant gender difference was found in the strength to CSA ratio for elbow flexion or knee extension, in biceps fiber number (180,620 in men vs 156,872 in women), muscle area to fiber area ratio in the vastus lateralis 451,468 vs 465,007) or any motor unit characteristics. Data suggest that the greater strength of the men was due primarily to larger fibers. The greater gender difference in upper body strength can probably be attributed to the fact that women tend to have a lower proportion of their lean tissue distributed in the upper body.

/Thread

The one young woman my age that I work with was telling me this yesterday. Not all the facts you stated, but essentially that woman just aren't ever as strong as a man can be. She was telling me about how the military never (and maybe rarely if anything do) puts women on the front lines because they are just not equipped body/strength-wise to handle it (she dated quite a few people in the service who have told her stories and such about being in the service). She knows and accepts that there are certain things she as a woman can't do/handle, that a man can. Imo, society is just lying to todays young women about how they can do anything a man can do, because thats not always true. Why can't society just admit that this isn't the case. They have to teach now about being accepting and all this crap. What happens when a woman tries to do something that a man can do, and really isn't as equipped as a man is for the job, and fails or gets hurt. Whose to blame for this? Society for telling her she can do it, or the woman herself for believeing what society told her and lying to her? I'm not saying all women should be stay at home moms in the kitchen and cleaning the house and such, I think women should be given equal OPPORTUNITY to do things that men can do. That doesn't mean though that all women can handle certain jobs that men can do though, because thats not true. There are jobs out there that men do that women just aren't cut out for. What I'm trying to say is even though society is teling women they can do anything men can do and not being put in a certain stereotype, women need to think more rational and realistic as to what they can do.

Honestly, I can't stand the whole feminist movement anyway. I'm all for equal rights, but there are certain things those rights just shouldn't reach. Plus, movements seem to always go to the extreme anyway.

Message 16 of 40 (162 Views)
I Only Post Everything
965 posts

Jul 2, 2014

Setzaroth wrote:

hannah-goes-rawr wrote:

Setzaroth wrote:
 Females are biologically weaker, and typically are not as inherently athletic as males. That's just the way it is.

perfect example -- ^ stupid statements like that are where i draw the line between what is okay and what isn't. gender has little to do with strength, weakness, athleticism, etc. there are strong men and women in the world and there are weak men and women in the world. strength and athleticism are hardly subject to one's identifying gender.

There's your problem.

Gender is a biological factor, it is inherent, it is a fact, as is muscle development during puberty. Read something other than Tumblr once in a while huh?

Thank God there's somebody else out there that can see what's going on and is not blinded by this new craze for hate on the average white male. I actually use Tumblr frequently, and the type of BS that I see on my dash makes my head hurt. I saw one of these videos there too, a nude woman sitting down like some male thug, saying that media and society teach us to walk and sit in certain ways, she also said that they are taught how to look "sexy" with poses, and then women are sexually expoited blah bah. Some fool told me that the girls in the music video Blurred Lines were sexually exploited, yet there was an interview in which one of the models said she was perfectly okay with it ,and was use to being naked since where she use to live, people would go naked to the beach. The feminist movement, I think, isn't what most people think it is...

Message 17 of 40 (158 Views)
Treasure Hunter
5561 posts

Jul 2, 2014

for a moment I thought this thread was about Porter from Sandlot.

Ah yes you do "X" 'Like a girl'............very popular insult back in my elementary years :smileytongue:

The Flying Grayson, Nightwing, Robin, They were about more than fight moves. They were about inspiration, comfort, trust, family. I gave that up to become a spy. a Spider man; A Tsuchigumo. I have changed.
But I'll Always be D. Grayson

N52 Grayson 6

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Message 18 of 40 (153 Views)
Treasure Hunter
6836 posts

[ Edited ]
Jul 2, 2014

I like the concept, but you have to also be realistic. If you go over board with the "you can do anything they do message", you end up with arrogant/delusional she-men who think they can actually beat up men, e.g. Ronda Rousey.

Do away with that under hand softball crap and the other sports that adopt different (i.e. easier) rules for women. Equality.

Good message, though, like I said. You don't want to hurt their self-esteem.

Message 19 of 40 (147 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
573 posts

[ Edited ]
Jul 2, 2014

BaltRavensFan20 wrote:
She was telling me about how the military never (and maybe rarely if anything do) puts women on the front lines because they are just not equipped body/strength-wise to handle it 

your'e kidding, right? georgia and other surrounding areas of the black sea, britons, persians, etruscans, mesopotamians, armenia, assyria, etc. all valued women as part of the working unit and military. it was the predominant romans, greeks and egypt cultures that didn't feel women were fit for military service; once they dominated europe and the near east is when things began to change. social constructs of christianity and islam throughout these regions initiated socio-cultural norms of gender identity.

really, it's like nobody on this forum thinks there was history before the last 1400 years.

maybe isntead of telling me to read something other than tumblr - you **bleep** read something other than the bible.

this is the problem of having 55+ generations of social inequality instituted by world religions.

ferguson is a weird name for an iraqi village
Message 20 of 40 (141 Views)