Treasure Hunter
4421 posts

Re: "Tapping Out" of Certain Game Series

Jan 24, 2013

TeAshimaDeVa wrote:

I tapped out of Uncharted about 30 minutes into the first one. As for games I had been loyal to.....Madden, Need For Speed, Sonic, Crash Bandicoot, Gex, UFC Undisputed *LOL, Jak and Daxter, Spyro, I could probably go all day. CoD, Mortal Kombat, and Zelda have survived thus far. 

I would say Final Fantasy but I have just simply burnt myself out logging 500+ hours on each since 7...yet I still can't wait for the next one!

That's hilarious.  I have never played Uncharted.  I am told it is great, but I just haven't got around to it.

Did you buy it, or were you renting it?  $60.00, if bought new, is a lot just to find out you didn't like it.

Moble

Message 11 of 38 (147 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
4421 posts

Jan 24, 2013

SweetPoison13 wrote:

I have tapped out of the Final Fantasy, (probably) the Resident Evil, and (potentially) the Devil May Cry series. The things that brought me to these video games in the first place no longer exist in them. Tweaks to a working formula in a video game series are fine and dandy but changes that drastically alter the experience that it offers can take away what people originally appreciated from the series in question. Most of the video games that I tapped out of have merely had their structures changed (i.e., fumbled with) too much. There are very few video games in a series that I will purchase in this day and age merely because they are part of a series. It really is too late for that approach with me. I look at individual video games and what each of them has to offer. Slapping a logo onto a video game that is essentially offering a completely different experience than what I have come to appreciate from a particular series will not cut it for me. As hard as it might be to "let go of" what were once my favorite video game series there are some things that just need to be done. Times change, people change, developers change, and video games change (that much is certain).   

Well stated.

I feel developers get lazy when they make a hit.  I will give BF credit for realizing their engine was getting its but kicked.  EA retooled the series with the Frostbite 2 Engine.  A world of difference.

This said, I still think once a developer gets a hit, all they feel they have to do, is add some extra story, tweak some levels, maybe introduce a new map or two, but pretty much refurbish and releases the same game they started with.

I used to LOVE Syphon Filter, but left that series after the third.  It seems like Three and out for me on all game series.  I guess that is my self instated lifespan for one title or another.

Moble

Message 12 of 38 (147 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
4421 posts

Jan 24, 2013

GOW71 wrote:

I feel that way now after AC3, Final Fantasy after XII, Call of Duty after MW2, and Metal Gear as soon as I put in MGS4.

For me, Flight Simulators, especially Ace Combat (AC) will never get old.  I could play each new one, every time.  Although during the AC campaigns, I pay little attention to the Storyline.  I focus on completing the games, so I can enjoy the free missions, and get all of the Air Craft.

With the new AC, I was enthusiastic about the Multi Player going in.  I am pretty darn good at Flight Simulators, and figured I could clean house.  To my dismay, on the first day of the Multi Player, I ran into some trouble.  I am pretty sure there was some glitchinng or, I will call it manipulating and not "hacking".  I would be right on the tail of someone, and the nearest player was across the map.  Next thing, there would be two air craft on my 6, and then the one in front of me would just disappear and end up behind me as well.

Needless to say, I do not go on to Multi Player for that one anymore.  I still enjoy the game though.

BTW, I assumed you meant Ace Combat by writing AC.  If not, then that is my misunderstanding.  All remains the same though, as far as my impression of Ace Combat.  I can see where someone might get tired of it though.

Moble

Message 13 of 38 (147 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
8695 posts

Jan 24, 2013
I don't think I would ever stop playing a series. If a game is good, I will play it o__O

~Fighting the Good Fight~
Message 14 of 38 (144 Views)
Treasure Hunter
4421 posts

Jan 24, 2013

JSiggy wrote:
I don't think I would ever stop playing a series. If a game is good, I will play it o__O

I figured there would be some gamers that never get tired of a series.  That is understandable as well.

As I have said, I think it is just my personality, that I get sick of the "same" thing over and over.  I would like to think I will NEVER get sick of Dead Space.  I LOVE IT!  At the same time, I think after five installments, if it gets that far, I might get a little tired of it.  Just the way it goes.

As far as some series though, like FF, it comes down to free time.  I didn't necessarily get sick of the format on that series, I just ran out of disposable time to invest in a long game like that.  Much the same reason why I have never got into Fall Out, or any other game that requires an enormous amount of attention to get the full potential of the game.

In the  current Game Informer, there is a letter talking about the "need" to get 100% completion on every game.  I am one of those people who can't stop a game, until I get all the trophies, pictures, coins, riddles, or what have you.  I think I may have OCD in this respect.  For that reason, after San Andreas, I gave up on GTA.  As well, the FF games.  There is so much to do in some games, I don't even pick them up, because I know where it will end.  I will play the game for 6 months (limited playing time), and ignore any other game, new or old.  The I end up missing out on some shorter titles that I could have played in the interim.

That's me though.

Moble

Message 15 of 38 (141 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
405 posts

Jan 24, 2013

It was a gift lol I traded it to a friend for Dragon Age Origins I believe which payed off big time because I loved that one. It's not that Uncharted was a bad game, I just couldn't get into it.

~REVOLUTION_IS_MY_NAME~
Message 16 of 38 (130 Views)
Treasure Hunter
8193 posts

Jan 25, 2013
I faded out of online shooters and even most of online gaming in general. The last "Massive" online game I played is MAG.

Mostly, my gaming is Single Player, and the only Online game I play is LittleBigPlanet2, Karting and LittleBigPlanet Vita.

That said, I'm trying to restart my online gaming after spending hundreds of hours offline, so I'm leaning towards Killzone Mercenary for the Vita.
Message 17 of 38 (119 Views)
Treasure Hunter
4421 posts

Jan 25, 2013

Doppelgangergang wrote:
I faded out of online shooters and even most of online gaming in general. The last "Massive" online game I played is MAG.

Mostly, my gaming is Single Player, and the only Online game I play is LittleBigPlanet2, Karting and LittleBigPlanet Vita.

That said, I'm trying to restart my online gaming after spending hundreds of hours offline, so I'm leaning towards Killzone Mercenary for the Vita.

BF3 is the only game I have ever invested any amount of time playing Online.  Overall, I am not a big fan of online playing.  

I do not get much time to play, so as a result, those who are online, are much more practiced than I.  As a result, I get crap for not being very good.  I don't need to be ridiculed by a ten year old in Iowa.Smiley LOL

Moble

Message 18 of 38 (105 Views)
0 Likes
Highlighted
Survivor
2547 posts

Jan 25, 2013

I can honestly say I've never  had this happen to me. But I tend to overlook flaws in games and see the positive side, so that could have helped.

photo IMG_0586_zps94omlljp.jpg
Message 19 of 38 (95 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
891 posts

Jan 26, 2013

Borderlands.

I got the first game only because it was very cheap and a friend urged me to. Hit level 20 and shut it off permanently. I bought the 2nd game only because several friends begged me to so we could party up. I don't even remember how far I got it was so forgettable. I like FPS and I love RPG but this combo just didn't work for me in the slightest. Couldn't care less about the story and was bored after an hour of finding loot. Even with 3 other friends it wasn't enough so I traded it in ASAP. Now that I think about it I may still have store credit! lol.

photo wizard_zps4173ab5c.png
Message 20 of 38 (83 Views)
0 Likes