Treasure Hunter
5085 posts

Re: "Tapping Out" of Certain Game Series

[ Edited ]
Jan 28, 2013

moblesuit75 wrote:

I stopped the God of War Series, just after God of War III.  I do not see myself buying the next installment of it.  It is not that the game now sucks, it is just a matter of feeling like I am doing the same thing over and over.

I find it internesting that when game developers change the game a lot there will be complainers and if they don't change the game a lot there will also be complaines. Like many people say CoD is same old, same old. If they made drastic changes there would still be haters. 

God Of War 3 was one of the best games of 2010 for me. Sure, you smash the same buttons, kill some gods and stuff but it doesn't really get old. :smileyhappy: I haven't bought the remastered PSP games but Ascension is a must buy

I'm not sure if they still make Crash Bandicoot and Spyro games but I've stopped buying those games a long ago. I bought the first 2 ps2 games of both series and no more. This is what Aku Aku looks like now:

Aku Aku

At least he has Greg Eagles ( The Grim Adventures ) voicing him . 

Please use plain text.
Message 21 of 38 (97 Views)
PlayStation MVP
4402 posts

Jan 28, 2013

ID-69 wrote:

moblesuit75 wrote:

I stopped the God of War Series, just after God of War III.  I do not see myself buying the next installment of it.  It is not that the game now sucks, it is just a matter of feeling like I am doing the same thing over and over.

I find it internesting that when game developers change the game a lot there will be complainers and if they don't change the game a lot there will also be complaines. Like many people say CoD is same old, same old. If they made drastic changes there would still be haters. 

God Of War 3 was one of the best games of 2010 for me. Sure, you smash the same buttons, kill some gods and stuff but it doesn't really get old. :smileyhappy: I haven't bought the remastered PSP games but Ascension is a must buy

I'm not sure if they still make Crash Bandicoot and Spyro games but I've stopped buying those games a long ago. I bought the first 2 ps2 games of both series and no more. This is what Aku Aku looks like now:

Aku Aku

At least he has Greg Eagles ( The Grim Adventures ) voicing him . 

I don't necessarily go off of changes made, or non changes, myself.  I think it is a boredom factor in my situation.

While I will intently love one game series, or another for a short time, I eventually just get sick of them.  I have no real pinpoint as to why, other than on the longer games for which I just don't have the time anymore.

I would think, providing the series continues to prosper, I would reinvest myself into a GTA.  Those games are always fun, but as I said, I am not content until I get "everything".  That is time consuming, and I don't see the point in buying every installment, mainly for this reason.

I thoroughly enjoyed San Andreas, and continued to play it, even after I accomplished all missions and retrieved all the "goodies".  Most times, I would see how much trouble I could get myself into, and then see if I could get away.

In general though, I try to stick to the "shorter" games that I can leave behind, if something new and "better" comes along.

Currently, I just finished the campaign and collected all the riddles and such on Arkham Asylum.  I still have to do the challenge modes, but I did find the game enjoyable.  Once I have got DS3 and finished a few rounds on that, I may go for Arkham City.  Either that, or I will try my hand in Dishonored.

There is always the Assassin's Creed Series, into which I have not yet delved.

Moble

Please use plain text.
Message 22 of 38 (86 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
31609 posts

Jan 30, 2013

SweetPoison13 wrote:

I have tapped out of the Final Fantasy, (probably) the Resident Evil, and (potentially) the Devil May Cry series. The things that brought me to these video games in the first place no longer exist in them. Tweaks to a working formula in a video game series are fine and dandy but changes that drastically alter the experience that it offers can take away what people originally appreciated from the series in question. Most of the video games that I tapped out of have merely had their structures changed (i.e., fumbled with) too much. There are very few video games in a series that I will purchase in this day and age merely because they are part of a series. It really is too late for that approach with me. I look at individual video games and what each of them has to offer. Slapping a logo onto a video game that is essentially offering a completely different experience than what I have come to appreciate from a particular series will not cut it for me. As hard as it might be to "let go of" what were once my favorite video game series there are some things that just need to be done. Times change, people change, developers change, and video games change (that much is certain).   

ive stopped buying those series games also.

funny, i never thought id not buy a Final Fantasy game, but Square-Enix proved me wrong and released FFXIII and continue to do so. there are a few FF games i will still buy, mainly XIV and Versus XIII if that ever comes out. but i will never buy the XIII series crap.

as for Resident Evil, i havent bought or played a one since 5, and i doubt i ever will again. the switch from survival horror to TPS monster shooter turned me away. not to mention the now stupid conveluted story.

Please use plain text.
Message 23 of 38 (65 Views)
PlayStation MVP
41020 posts

Jan 30, 2013
Off the top of my head, Prince of Persia. Bought Sands of Time just for the hell of it when I was out one time and loved it. When Warrior Within was announced, I was ready for it and preordered, was reading it was solid and everything. When I got to finally play it, I was wondering what the bloody hell happened. Didn't make it more than a few hours in before I ended up getting rid of my copy and bowing out of the series.

@SE: On the matter of Resident Evil, I don't get Capcom. Why push Resident Evil in that direction from the survival aspect (getting weapons/items around the environment, being chased by some overly powerful monster, etc.) to straight up action? I played the RE6 demo and just ended up quitting and deleting it 20 minutes later.

Capcom should have just revived Dino Crisis and pushed that as their 'action TPS' instead of forcing it on RE. DC would have been a better fit.

Now Playing: Final Fantasy X HD

Please use plain text.
Message 24 of 38 (63 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
4402 posts

Jan 30, 2013

I never made it past the VGA classic for my Epson Computer on Prince of PErsia.  

I was actually surprised when they originally brought it to platform.  

Not bad, but forgettable all the same.

Moble

Please use plain text.
Message 25 of 38 (62 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
31609 posts

Jan 30, 2013

SlashZaku wrote:

@SE: On the matter of Resident Evil, I don't get Capcom. Why push Resident Evil in that direction from the survival aspect (getting weapons/items around the environment, being chased by some overly powerful monster, etc.) to straight up action? I played the RE6 demo and just ended up quitting and deleting it 20 minutes later.

Capcom should have just revived Dino Crisis and pushed that as their 'action TPS' instead of forcing it on RE. DC would have been a better fit.

Capcom is stupid, they dont know what their fans want.

and a Dino Crisis reboot... somewhat want. :smileysurprised:

Please use plain text.
Message 26 of 38 (66 Views)
Treasure Hunter
6345 posts

Jan 30, 2013

the_original_se wrote:

SlashZaku wrote:

Pretty  true points.   ALot games i have quit playing becuse of the dev  mass change and chasng the market or the online part is  fill up fairplay..

As far  dino  crysis point i agree.. i loved "turok"., But I  think dino crisis  would have stayed popluar,  turok would still be around. Those turok game were pretty  enjoyable.   "Re" i think just lost it way lol. they saw they couldnt  touch "silent hills" in horror department.   Games like" im alive" alot  think thats a boring game and jst to hard. but that would a very good horror game franchise if they used those kinds of mechanics .

To be  honest with you i was  tired of final fantasy after part 2.. i didnt like part 7 . I liked part 11 though, only 1,2 and 11 where good in my opinion. I might pick up 14 when it drops.  I hear they ending  FF franchse this year its huge  rumor.  In  my  opinion they should have ended it with 11.. Why not goin top. LOL

Mcbuttz78

vp-psn legioniaree group.

Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past, Wisdom is of the future

Please use plain text.
Message 27 of 38 (62 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
31609 posts

Jan 31, 2013

mcbuttz78 wrote:

the_original_se wrote:

SlashZaku wrote:

Pretty  true points.   ALot games i have quit playing becuse of the dev  mass change and chasng the market or the online part is  fill up fairplay..

As far  dino  crysis point i agree.. i loved "turok"., But I  think dino crisis  would have stayed popluar,  turok would still be around. Those turok game were pretty  enjoyable.   "Re" i think just lost it way lol. they saw they couldnt  touch "silent hills" in horror department.   Games like" im alive" alot  think thats a boring game and jst to hard. but that would a very good horror game franchise if they used those kinds of mechanics .

To be  honest with you i was  tired of final fantasy after part 2.. i didnt like part 7 . I liked part 11 though, only 1,2 and 11 where good in my opinion. I might pick up 14 when it drops.  I hear they ending  FF franchse this year its huge  rumor.  In  my  opinion they should have ended it with 11.. Why not goin top. LOL

Turok was fantastic, but it pretty much died after it jumped from the N64 to the xbox and PS2.

and Dino Crisis died after the 2nd one. wasnt the 3rd Dino Crisis the one set in the future and in space? that also went from survival horror to TPS.

they really should reboot Dino Crisis, that would be fun as long as they keep to the original. i still remember the boss fight in the first one where the t-rex breaks his head through the window of that office room.

the only FF games i like are 4-10 and Tactics. the first 3 were pretty blah, standard old school RPGs with a mediocre story. wasnt till 4 when the games picked up in the story department, which is the biggest thing for a FF game.

11 was the MMO, never played it; 12 was just bad; and 13, yeah...

hopes that Versus 13 will bring back FF to its former glory, but that game has been in limbo for years. and 14 is the next MMO which im going to give a whirl, it looks fun and would be the first RPG MMO on the PS3.

Please use plain text.
Message 28 of 38 (60 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
6345 posts

Jan 31, 2013

the_original_se wrote:

mcbuttz78 wrote:

the_original_se wrote:

SlashZaku wrote:

Turok was fantastic, but it pretty much died after it jumped from the N64 to the xbox and PS2.

and Dino Crisis died after the 2nd one. wasnt the 3rd Dino Crisis the one set in the future and in space? that also went from survival horror to TPS.

they really should reboot Dino Crisis, that would be fun as long as they keep to the original. i still remember the boss fight in the first one where the t-rex breaks his head through the window of that office room.

the only FF games i like are 4-10 and Tactics. the first 3 were pretty blah, standard old school RPGs with a mediocre story. wasnt till 4 when the games picked up in the story department, which is the biggest thing for a FF game.

11 was the MMO, never played it; 12 was just bad; and 13, yeah...

hopes that Versus 13 will bring back FF to its former glory, but that game has been in limbo for years. and 14 is the next MMO which im going to give a whirl, it looks fun and would be the first RPG MMO on the PS3.

I cant say much on dino crysis i never  played the 1st one  only the second which i enjoyed. and  I played turok on the ps3  when it debuted. I   played the others on cosole n64 in  multiplayer at  cousin house when it was popular . He is  all ninentdo gaming. but he doesnt  like the wii and he doesnt like new wii u.  He told me nintendo gaming  died after n64. I have to agree with him  some what..

I think ff  is pretty much done  and they need to retire it if any game will bring it back it will be FF 14.. I dont  see  FF 13 sitting well with fans. Alot of  better game franchises out here now. Alot are looking forward to  newer  rpg franchises.

Also ff 1 n2 are best wrtten stories of the franchise.. I have to  disagree with 4 and rest of them being better myabe with graphic and cinema and etc.  But FF part 2 story is best i ever played for  for ff hands dwn.

Mcbuttz78

vp-psn legioniaree group.

Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past, Wisdom is of the future

Please use plain text.
Message 29 of 38 (55 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
41020 posts

Jan 31, 2013
Capcom has been confusing as hell this gen. They keep doing stuff to **bleep** off their fans or making these 'mass market' decisions and they keep at it. They've got a pretty good catalog but the decisions...holy. DmC, RE5/RE6, the whole Megaman thing, running Fighters into the ground, the whole DLC approach (which is kind of out of hand for everyone) and then you have the absence of some IPs (Onimusha for instance, a new Breath of Fire, Darkstalkers is wanted, and so on).

Now Playing: Final Fantasy X HD

Please use plain text.
Message 30 of 38 (54 Views)
0 Likes