Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Mar 17 2011
By: lordFRZA Uncharted Territory 1521 posts
Accepted Solution

Need help with Test Yourself

6 replies 692 views Edited Mar 17, 2011

In the Intelligence test the last section that states, " You will see geometric shapes and a dot. Estimate the dot's position against the other figures and select the option, which lets you place the dot as shown in the example." What? I have no idea what this test is even about. So I can't even begin to take it.

When I went through the tutorial, the right answer was the last one I picked.(I mean, I picked every wrong answer before I picked the right one)

I reread the instructions, stared at the tutorial questions and scratched my head. I tried thinking do they mean "If I was where the dot is what would I see?" No that's not right. I thought maybe it's "move the stuff around but don't rotate it" no....no..... maybe "keep the same position but rotate everything?" grr! no.  "make everything touch the place where the dot is"  no again!!!!   OMGWTF?!!!!!

Anyway's, I have seen weird grammar usage throughout this game, and I think that might be the case here. The directions don't explain things very well and I think that might have gotten me off on the wrong foot.

If someone could explain this test better and maybe show how it's done or how to get a correct answer. I have to be looking at this all wrong and a different perspective might be all I need for it to click.

Message 1 of 7 (692 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
10 posts

Re: Need help with Test Yourself

Mar 18, 2011

Have you figured it out? I got stuck at the exact same spot. Honestly, that explanation is terrible. I asked a couple other people who were around if they could figure it out, and none of them could. A Google search brings up a review of sorts, and they can't figure this section out either. So, I don't think we're all just stupid. What's more, I had to quit in the middle of the test because of this, and now I can't go back where I left off. I have to start over while the other answers are all still fresh in my mind, which wouldn't be a problem if there wasn't a time limit in the equation. LAAAME!

Message 2 of 7 (692 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1521 posts

Mar 19, 2011

The explanation sucks because it's hard to explain. I think it goes something like this: find the picture where you can put a dot and still have it positioned the same, in relation to the other objects, as the dot in the top box.

Examples: if the dot is inside a circle and below a bent line, look for the answer that lets you put a dot in a circle and below a bent line.

If the dot is inside a square and a triangle but outside a circle, look for the answer that has a square and triangle overlapping but NOT inside a circle.

It told me I had below average intelligence but once I started thinking like these examples it told me I had phenomenal intelligence.

Message 3 of 7 (692 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
10 posts

Mar 19, 2011

Well, when I was first writing my post, I think that MIGHT be it. I even spent five minutes trying to figure out how to explain it (you're right, it's bloody hard). But then I found this picture of one of the tutorial questions:

http://media.giantbomb.com/uploads/8/85333/1728712-intelligence5_super.jpg

I tried to apply that idea to this example but it doesn't work, unless I'm misundertanding you. And what's that square shape doing in the middle answer? I remember other questions having various shapes that aren't in the top picture too. Shouldn't they somehow come into play?

P.S. I took the picture from here. Dunno if I should give credit, so I might as well.

Message 4 of 7 (692 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1521 posts

Mar 19, 2011

That picture is from the tutorial and the green square is around the wrong answer. The right answer is the one on the far left, which is the only one where you can put a dot inside the "oval" and above the "table." I know it's the right answer because the tutorial makes you pick the right answer.

Message 5 of 7 (692 Views)
First Son
10 posts

Mar 19, 2011

Oh, I don't like that at all. I thought maybe the dot has to be in the exact same position relative to the shapes. But if it's just vague positions like "above" and "inside"...well, actually, maybe that's not so bad after all. But it does make me think even worse of their explanation, in spite of how hard it is to explain. Ideally, they would have little animations in the tutorials to elaborate on their explanations, although I think this is the only section that really needs it.

Message 6 of 7 (692 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
5 posts

Mar 21, 2013

well it is an IQ test, maybe they're testing whether you can understand terrible instructions  - in which case I failed too, which is why I'm here!!!  I get it now from the explanation in this thread, but I was trying to be way to clever by imagining the shapes in 3D space and which answer would represent how they would look from different angles of perspective and then imagine where the dot would go!  I guess there simply isn't enough information for that kind of analysis so I should have known it was wrong - ha!

thanks fpr posting the explanation - have to wait for tomorrow before it will let me try again now!

Message 7 of 7 (505 Views)
0 Likes