Splicer
60 posts

Re: Price is Right

May 20, 2010

Bought it yesterday and have spent maybe an hour or so playing it so here's a quick review.

Games modes are limited to single player and local multiplayer.  No online multiplayer or leaderboards of any kind.  Game starts by allowing you to "customize" your character.  This involves picking a pre-set face and their hairstyle both from limited options.  You can also change their clothes with shirts, pants, glasses, and shoes.  While playing the game and it tells you that you have "unlocked an achievement" that just means that you have unlocked an additional piece of clothing.

So far I've only played the single player, classic mode and it goes pretty much like you'd expect.  You get 6 chances to be the closest bidder without going over in contestants row.  You don't watch the computer play their pricing games so you just go through your 6 chances in succession until you get up on stage.  The games are fairly straight forward and are an accurate interpretation of their real world counterparts.  Most of them I have played so far play with a cash prize instead the more traditional random prize like a dining room set, washer and dryer, or autographed life size standee of Bob Barker, but it's not like the prize affects the playing of the game so that doesn't really matter.  All prizes are shown via a short video and as was already mentioned it looks like they are just taken straight from video of the show since the audio often cuts out at strange times.

Next is the Showcase Showdown.  You always spin last, so it just shows the score you have to beat and you spin once or twice to try and do it.  Spinning is done by pushing the left stick up and then pulling it back.  Once again, pretty straightforward and works as you'd expect it.

The Showcase is presented as a group of videos showing off the collection of prizes that you can win.  Highest winner gets the choice to bid or pass and closest without going over wins.  It keeps track of the dollar amounts of all the prizes that you win throughout the game and throughout your career.  If you don't make it out of contestant's row, lose in the Showcase Showdown, or win or lose in the Showcase you get no fancy ending, no reminder to help control the pet population.  Have you pet's spayed or neutered.  Just a screen asking if you want to play again.

If you win at your pricing game then you unlock the ability to play that game any time you want via the option's menu.  It also unlocks the aforementioned additional wardrobe options and the best part is a video of a classic moment from the show involving that game.  Most of these are funny clips and include Bob Barker so they really are a main highlight of the whole package.

Trophies are relatively easy to earn as I already have something like 33% of them after the hour of playing.  Pricing game specific ones become easier once you have unlocked the ability to play the game whenever you want, over and over again.

Overall it's a decent game if you're a Price is Right fan as the games are well represented.  It does play more like a collection of mini-games than it does like an actual episode of the show.  Playing through to unlock all the pricing games is probably where most of the replay value will come from and after that any repeated playing will just depend on how much you like the show.  I can see local multiplayer being fun for a bit but it isn't something that would replace Rockband or Buzz! as the life of the party.

I'd reccomend the game to anyone that is a big fan of The Price is Right.  If you love the show, you'll at least like this game and you'll probably get you $9.99 worth(or you could wait 3 or 4 months when it'll probably go on sale for a week for $4.99).  Moderate fans of the show will probably get a few hours of entertainment from it but I doubt you'll stick around for any longer than it takes to unlock all the games, if that.  And non-fans of he show.......you should all be locked in a room and forced to watch the show non-stop until you become a fan because it's obvious there is something wrong with you and this world doesn't need the kind of people that don't like The Price is Right.

Please use plain text.
Message 11 of 18 (18 Views)
Lombax Warrior
254 posts

May 20, 2010

Dropped you some kudos. Thanks for the review.

Please use plain text.
Message 12 of 18 (18 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1290 posts

May 20, 2010

abcdan71 wrote:

Obvious port from the other (did I really earn an achievement?), but I will give my .02¢ anyway.

.02¢??? That's less than a penny. Much less! Don't people usually say 2¢?

Please use plain text.
Message 13 of 18 (18 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1568 posts

May 20, 2010

Idk, jeopardy and wheel of fortune killed my hopes of a decent TV to ps3 game.  Those games are godawful horrible

Please use plain text.
Message 14 of 18 (18 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
315 posts

May 20, 2010

Hey just wait till they throw the DLC at you where you can buy $30 worth of new shirt's and hairstyles.

No Bob Barker or no Drew Carey = no host = no sale for me!

"I still have an Atari 2600 from 1980 that has never went bad!"
Please use plain text.
Message 15 of 18 (18 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1568 posts

May 20, 2010

Kiltron999 wrote:

Hey just wait till they throw the DLC at you where you can buy $30 worth of new shirt's and hairstyles.

No Bob Barker or no Drew Carey = no host = no sale for me!

Yea you said it...no alex in jeopardy, no pat/vanna in wheel of fortune, and no bob or drew in price is right...TOTAL BS!!!

Please use plain text.
Message 16 of 18 (18 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1910 posts

May 21, 2010
Who cares it's one those silly little game you kinda hate but love in progress of it. I think it's kinda funny on some of the prize like 1 ounce of gold bar worth $2830 something like that lol
New PS3 Slim 160 Version upgrade to 500gig :smileyvery-happy:. Dec 18, 2010.
Please use plain text.
Message 17 of 18 (18 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
60 posts

May 21, 2010

I prefer no host over having Drew Carey drag the game down, so I consider that a positive thing that the game has going for it.  Now if Bob Barker had been included then that would have made this a no doubt about it must buy, but alas that would be too much awesome for a single downloadable game.

Please use plain text.
Message 18 of 18 (18 Views)
0 Likes