Jun 12 2010
By: praisejeebis First Son 24 posts

Stop developers from stealing your money

11 replies 17 views Edited Jun 12, 2010

We need to create a united front against developers that have realized they can milk their consumers post game. Im speaking about things like the DLC for UFC 2010. Paying for championships and "online leaderboards" features. Maybe im mistaken and they are constantly monitoring and improving online features after you purchase it but it seems to me that developers intentionally leave out content that would improve the game knowing you will buy it later and sucking every dime they can get out of you. How long has UFC 2010 been out? And they are already charging $5 for online features that should have been standard with the game, that is absurd. I understand map packs, thats great. But games like bioshock ALREADY HAVE IT ON THE DISC!  it doesn't even download anything it just allows you to access it on the disc. We as consumers need to rise up against such ridiculous tactics. I don't own it but white knight chronicles (mmorpg) will let you change your character for $5 and another $5everytime you want to. They couldn't have just let you do that or imposed certain other restrictions (like 3 per account or once every month)?  I will loving embrace all members of MAG's studio (ZIpper) for providing content they could have charged for and didn't (weapons, uniforms, and various equipment) and still updating and changing maps and weapons to make factions equal. It was the sole reason i bought a ps3 (128player fps FTW!) Buy the maps and other TRUE add-on content but if we don't stop them from taking advantage of DLC it will turn into a landslide of pillaging consumers pockets. Hooray for Playstation store and shame on greedy game corporations. We MUST stop it before it gets out of control.

Message 1 of 12 (17 Views)
Shinra Executive
35887 posts

Re: Stop developers from stealing your money

Jun 12, 2010

praisejeebis wrote:

We need to create a united front against developers that have realized they can milk their consumers post game. Im speaking about things like the DLC for UFC 2010. Paying for championships and "online leaderboards" features. Maybe im mistaken and they are constantly monitoring and improving online features after you purchase it but it seems to me that developers intentionally leave out content that would improve the game knowing you will buy it later and sucking every dime they can get out of you. How long has UFC 2010 been out? And they are already charging $5 for online features that should have been standard with the game, that is absurd. I understand map packs, thats great. But games like bioshock ALREADY HAVE IT ON THE DISC!  it doesn't even download anything it just allows you to access it on the disc. We as consumers need to rise up against such ridiculous tactics. I don't own it but white knight chronicles (mmorpg) will let you change your character for $5 and another $5everytime you want to. They couldn't have just let you do that or imposed certain other restrictions (like 3 per account or once every month)?  I will loving embrace all members of MAG's studio (ZIpper) for providing content they could have charged for and didn't (weapons, uniforms, and various equipment) and still updating and changing maps and weapons to make factions equal. It was the sole reason i bought a ps3 (128player fps FTW!) Buy the maps and other TRUE add-on content but if we don't stop them from taking advantage of DLC it will turn into a landslide of pillaging consumers pockets. Hooray for Playstation store and shame on greedy game corporations. We MUST stop it before it gets out of control.

Hiya praisejeebis, welcome to the PS Forums.

DLC is always a touchy subject with a lot of people, do I buy DLC yes, but do I agree with your sentiments above, 100%, well said.

Message 2 of 12 (17 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
6817 posts

Jun 12, 2010
I also buy Dlc, but i know where you're getting at.
I try to find good prices on Dlc if a dev is offering $15.00 for 5 maps then i turn them down.

I kinda like the Lbp dlc where like alot of stuff are cheap, but i do play the game alot Smiley Frustrated
Message 3 of 12 (17 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
315 posts

Jun 12, 2010
I agree 100%, I've bought DLC yes but there are developers who try and suck you dry. Idol Minds with PAIN is the first thing that comes to mind. $10 game turns into a $90 game with the DLC. Sure you don't have to buy the DLC but 1GB of DLC content you may not even want is sitting on your HDD waiting for that 100kb unlock key to be bought. Waste of my HDD space.

Also lame when developers release a game and there is DLC for it right along with the launch. Should have been in the game then.

But as it goes, welcome to the future of digital downloading where lame developers take consumers for a ride then don't even bother to fix the bugs in their games. Doesn't get better folks, it will only get worse.

IMO who the heck in their right mind pays $20 for a digital download of a movie they cannot even backup onto disc nor even redownload? I'd never do that.
"I still have an Atari 2600 from 1980 that has never went bad!"
Message 4 of 12 (17 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
190 posts

Jun 12, 2010

COD MW2 is ridiculous, first the Stimulus package for $15 I think, and now another map pack for another $15. What a rip.

Message 5 of 12 (17 Views)
First Son
24 posts

Jun 12, 2010

I'm not particularly mad at the map packs, tho they are over priced and should only be $10 max with a game like MW2 new maps reinvigorate the game. They have made millions on that stimulus package map pack and corporations are going to abuse it.  As much as i want those new maps i think it is probably worth it for them, i can't support this trend for fear of future ramifications.  Resist the urge to buy over priced packs and refuse to buy content that should have been included.  I don't want developers to STOP making the packs, but it would be nice if they thought about the consumers first. Once again, kudos to MAG. I wouldn't be surprised if their first map pack or ALL map packs are free.

Message 6 of 12 (17 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1293 posts

Jun 13, 2010

It is one thing to complain about the stuff alread on the disc, and another to complain about stuff that is made after the game is already released.

And while I agree with the disc DLC stuff (and by this I mean, if its on the disc we should have it no extra charge). You are a fool if you think that developers should basically throw their money away so their ungrateful and cheap consumers can get something for free. You basically don't deserve anything at all.

As for the mention of White Knight, it can only be done once. That is it.

Legendaryphoenix
Message 7 of 12 (17 Views)
0 Likes
Highlighted
Hekseville Citizen
315 posts

Jun 13, 2010
Define "Cheap Consumer" and please don't confuse it for the "Smart Consumer".
"I still have an Atari 2600 from 1980 that has never went bad!"
Message 8 of 12 (17 Views)
Survivor
2734 posts

Jun 13, 2010

The only thing that will stop these business practices is their failure. The problem is, they don't fail. So long as people continue paying for ridiculous dlc, there will never be an end to companies selling it. The best (and only) thing you can do is to vow to not pay for cheap/half-assed dlc. 

Message 9 of 12 (17 Views)
Uncharted Territory
1598 posts

Jun 13, 2010

I agree too, I got so pissed off when they did this with Soul Calibur. They gave us Darth Vader and made Yoda DLC?

I hope my next leap will be the leap home!
Message 10 of 12 (17 Views)