Highlighted
Aug 14 2011
By: projectc9 First Son 8 posts

Why can't we play PSN downloaded PSP games on the PS3?

31 replies 61082 views Edited Aug 14, 2011

Before any one jumps on me to tell me how this doesn't work, I know that. What I'm wondering is why and perhaps maybe if it would be possible to make it possible.

Maybe I'm getting old, or maybe my eyesight just isn't very good, but playing on the PSP all the time is really straining for my eyes. And if I'm sitting at home, I generally don't want to spend my time staring at a tiny screen when there's a perfectly good PS3 and HDTV in front of me. Unfortunately, a lot of my favorite games (and a lot of games I'm looking forward to) are all PSP exclusives and so if I want to play them, I do have to spend a lot of time staring at a small screen and I just don't go out as much as I used to.

So what I was wondering was why, when we can download PSP games from the PSN onto the PS3, why aren't we allowed to play them on the PS3? Why do I get told "this content is for use exclusively with the PSP". It's already on my PS3. You change the aspect ratio when we play PS1 games on the PS3, why can't you do the same for the downloaded PSP games?

I do, in fact, know about the component cable that you can get to link your PSP to your TV, but honestly, that cord is extremely bulky, not very long which means I have to sit very close in front of a very big screen... none of which helps my original case.

What I'm trying to say is that - I know plenty of people who do not own a PSP, but they do own a PS3. And out of those people, I am pretty sure all of them have PSP games that they're interested in but not enough games that they'd want to invest in yet another system. For those people, I am absolutely certain that if PSN downloaded PSP games were playable on the PS3, they'd purchase PSP games from PSN.

You're only earning money, Sony!

...Actually, I'd buy a hell of a lot more PSN download PSP games if this were possible. Like, a lot more.

(I did a cursory check as to whether this has been suggested before but I mostly only found suggestions to add some UMD port or whatnot. This is not the same thing. I know why I can't play UMDs on the PS3 and I'm not asking to. But downloaded PSP games that are already on my PS3. Why?)

Message 1 of 32 (61,082 Views)
Monster Hunter
41 posts

Re: Why can't we play PSN downloaded PSP games on the PS3?

Aug 14, 2011

Because there's no PSP emulator built into the PS3, the reason PSOne Classics and SOME of the Minis work on both is that PSOne Classics have hooks and official support in both systems, and any Minis that work on the PS3 have the appropriate PS3 files in them.

Message 2 of 32 (61,082 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
8651 posts

Aug 15, 2011

Also, sometime in the future you will be able to play some PSP titles on the PS3 system, Sony released an article about it awhile back, from what I remember not all PSP titles will work, but they will be adding new PSP games to the store and they will work on PS3, only certain titles though. I am not sure when they are going to finish this though.

Message 3 of 32 (61,082 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
6268 posts

Aug 17, 2011

Are you referring to the GoW origins and MGS (peacewalker) collections?  That's all I remember hearing about, so I'd be interested in what you saw otherwise.

Message 4 of 32 (61,082 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
8651 posts

Aug 17, 2011

it's been a while, all I heard was it's something like a remake where you can play PSP games on ps3, the 2 titles you mentioned could be the first 2 to come, if so there should be more later.

Message 5 of 32 (61,082 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
1 posts

Dec 8, 2011

I am in the same boat, and I agree 100% if I could download and play PSP games right to the PS3 u guys would get so much more of my money.. I hate playing on the small screen and I'm not gonna buy more cables or devices.. Sony u could be making alot more this way

Message 6 of 32 (61,082 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
2123 posts

Dec 8, 2011

then, y we have a psp ? it'll b useless & ppl will buy ps3 only.

AM GOOD BUT NOT THE BEST
http://about.me/Rage_kmj

PSN Gamercards
Message 7 of 32 (61,082 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
7103 posts

Dec 9, 2011

That would be great, but the PSP is still being sold. They don't want to lower the sales for that by making it possible to play the games on your PS3. Maybe when the Vita gets older they'll make an emulator...

fadi002's Signature - The Last Of Us

Message 8 of 32 (61,082 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
1 posts

Dec 31, 2011

so if we download a PSP game on your PS3, can you still play it on your PS3.

Message 9 of 32 (61,082 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
8 posts

Jan 11, 2012

Rage_kmj wrote:

then, y we have a psp ? it'll b useless & ppl will buy ps3 only.

Uh, no, are you listening to yourself? Most people can't take a PS3 with them when they travel to play in the car or the plane or somewhere that is not home. So no, you're wrong, people will still buy the PSP. What people will do instead is at home, if they have downloaded PSP games, they'll be able to play it on a much larger screen. THERE ARE ONLY POSITIVE ASPECTS TO THIS. (And the people who won't buy PSPs are the people who have a PS3, never go anywhere, and therefore had no reason to buy a PSP in the first place! Which means that Sony loses money on PSP games from people who would otherwise buy them.)

Message 10 of 32 (61,082 Views)