Jan 15 2010
By: Sky_The_Assassin Uncharted Territory 1387 posts

My PSP-Go Vs. PSP Comparison thread.

20 replies 172 views Edited Jan 15, 2010

Hello Everyone! 

Yesterday I bought a PSP Go and I must say I am loving it. Loving it as much as I loved PSP-1000 when I first bought it and then some!

So today, after extensive testing and fidiling with SensMe, PS1 Classics, and my MGS4 BT headset I come to you....With a comparison guide for anyone looking to buy a PSP

I will try to deliver a completely unbiased comparison of the two(As they are both great consoles with their up's and downs and equals in power thus should be treated equally)

Let us Begin(I will try to make this guide as clean and as straight to the point as possible):

I. Legend

I will be using signature to indicate that there may be a slight restriction to certain core features.

"*" will indicate that you should look to the PSP Go

"**" will indicate that you should look to the PSP-1/2/3k series.

The "*/**" will be followed by a number (ex. "*1") this all you need to do to find the point this is related to is to hit Ctrl+F then type in the indicator+corresponding number to find the point.

II. Core Features:

Here I will talk about what exactly your buying when you decide to buy a PSP, wether it be the Go or the 3000. Then I will talk about what your buying depending on what model you choose to look at.

1.)PSP Titles compatibility. 

-Need I say it? You get to play games which are titled for the PSP.*1

2.)Both have fairly equal powerwith minimal differences between gameplay. (So small its not even worth considering into your purchase factor)

3.)Access to the Playstation Store and all of its content.

(Note: 90% of all items on the PS store require that they be bought before use, you may charge your PSN Account with a credit card or any PS Store Card available at many major retailers)

4.)All buttons on each system are the same with very simaler layout.(Unimportant buttons have been moved around between the two systems due to their formfactor.)

5.) Built in WiFi to use anywhere where there is a wireless internet connection

6.) Built in Mic

7.) Save State via Sleep mode.

-Both PSP's feature this neat save mode which allows the PSP to enter sleep mode and when you take it out of sleep mode you return to the exact position you were in wether it be a game or a spot on the XMB you go back without having to redo everything you just did.(If the PSP's battery dies while this is in effect you lose your state.)

III. PSP Go -Whats good about the new.

So the PSP Go, the cousin of the PSP 1/2/3k Systems is probably the ultimate in protable gaming in terms of the games its capable of running and its size. So lets look at the best parts.

(Note: All items listed here ARE NOT available for the PSP 1/2/3k. )

1.)Bluetooth 

-A neat feature nice for those of you who plan on playing games which support online and want to be able to communicate with your team. Also good if you plan on using skype. This feature also allows you to tether your PSP to your cellphone if your cellphones service plan has an internet connection and allows tethering. Thus allowing an internet connection anywhere on the Go.

2.)Pause game.

-Not your traditional game pausing but it acctually saves the point you were at allowing you to exit your game and play music, movies, or even surf the web and still be able to come back to the exact point and position you saved at. This feature only allows one game to be paused at any one time if you attempt to launch a new game while a Pause Game is still saved you will be prompted with a message stating that the pause game will be overwritten if you try to pause the new one you are trying to launch.

3.)Sliding Screen.

-This is the best part to me, it keeps it portable and the sliding screen feels very firm not flimsy at all love the feel.

4.)16Gb's of internal storage+Expandable M2 slot!

-With this amazing little device and its decently sized internal storage you needn't worry about running out of room and if you do you can always upgrade up to another 16gigs for a grand total of 32gigs.(This is acheivable on the PSP 1/2/3k with diffrent memory cards aswell but you dont have to pay for the first 16gigs :smileytongue:

IV. The PSP 3k - What the old still has to offer.

The PSP 3k is the older cousin of the PSP Go and it's probably the most feared device around. Can the two live side by side in perfect harmony? Or will one have to make way? Lets take a look.

1.) UMD Drive. 

-This is what makes the PSP a PSP. The UMD format is the currently used Disc for 90% of all games Playable on the PSP.(Remember this)

2.)Uses the original Memory Stick Pro Duo cards

-These are cheaper and with a Memory stick adapter and 2 Micro SD(I think) cards you can acheive 32 gigs of storage. Thats 1Game in your UMD Drive+All the other space if you pay for it!

3.)Replaceable Battery

-Plan on keeping this for a long long long time? Perhaps your going to be on a bus or a plane for 5+ Hours. Never fear, you can swap batteries and keep playing!(Extra battery not included)

4.) Lots of colors, lots of designs.

-Really want your PSP to reflect your personality? There are so many colors and deisngs on the PSP lining each color up side by side would probably end up circling the earth once or twice.

V. The PSP Go - These aspects are a sacrifice to greatness.

The PSP Go while the newest PSP has its downsides in comparison to the PSP 3k.

1.)Direct Download content only.*1

-Thats right, the PSP Go only supports games downloaded from the PS Store and thus, you will never be able to Trade your old games or refund them.(However they never wont work! :smileytongue:

Also note that you may still download Music, Movies, and Photos like any other PSP.

2.)The analog stick is placed diffrently.

-So old users will notice that in relation to where the D-Pad is the analog stick is placed diffrently(Obviously diffrent form factor once again) but its not somthing you wont get used to practicly right away.

3.)Volume control is poorly placed.

-This should have been put in the same spot or have extra buttons which do the same thing near the main set of buttons as their current location is hard to reach with the leather case. With out the case however it would be easy to operate. whic htakes me to...

4.)Finger print magnet.

-It's so pretty, its easy to make ugly! Anyone capable of taking a PSP-Go out of its box and the plactic cover over it without a single finger print wins 5 internets. Seriously, its impossible.

5.)The grips on the back to some people feel odd.

-Now I cant say I don't like it because I never use them, I have the case which cost me 10 dollars. But from feeling them just now, I can tell they are there they dont provide alot of extra grip. They feel a bit rubbery which is good. It appears that if you use this device alot without a case to protect its back dirt could build up in the seams. 

VI. The PSP 3k - If only these parts were better...

The PSP 3k vs. the PSP Go like I said both have their ups and downs. So heres what makes this version of PSP lesser to its cousin, The Go.

1.)Its huge. 

-I dont know about you guys but I like to wear fitted clothes. My PSP-1000 was just too huge. It made it weird to walk, it was long and bulky. Not to mention if I wanted to play more than one game from my library of UMD's I had to haul them with me! If you wear pants with big pockets, or dont mind its size then you may want to take this version but for me this was the main reason I didn't pick up a new 3000 veruss my former 1000.

2.)The UMD drive.

-Wait...I said this is what made the PSP a PSP, well it's also the first thing to fail. Fact is moving parts if not maintained will break faster than non-moving parts. The PSPGo has none(aside from that slider) and the PSP3k has the UMD drive. Though these drives are replaceable so theres nothing stopping you from fixing it.(Plus you get the 1 year manf warranty+A store warranty if you buy it so no worries.) 

Misc. Info

-The PSPGo has a slightly smaller screen than a PSP Kseries, however you still get the same resolution, just at a smaller screen size which means you lose nothing but your screen realestate.

Closing notes for your final desicion.

1.)If you have a family, and you've got the money, and everyone wants a PSP you will certainly preffer the direct download versions of any game because of a simple fact that up 5 PSP's on a single PSN account can share all the games downloaded for no additional charge. That means everyone in the house, gets to enjoy the game at he same time thus allowing them to play multiplayer if the game supports it. 

2.)Look through the store, if you can find a bunch of games that seem awesome to you then get the Go. Your not missing out if youve never played the game. But if a game like Crisis Core is the reason your buying a PSP, get the 3k. Its one of those awesome titles that just isnt on the store. But take a gander at the PS Store and weigh the pros and cons. I'v never played crisis core, and never plan to unless it gets released on the store. So I don't feel like Im missing out on much.

3.)Check your wardrobe. If your buying a portable console for gaming on the go and you have tight pockets with just enough room for your cellphone, the PSP 3k wont fit there.

4.)Do you want to be able to play every game ever released? Are you okay with lugging around the UMD's if you plan on playing more than one game, or go on a trip(Odds are youd have a bag)?If you answered yes to both these questions the Go is not the console of choice if this is the only groundbreak question to you.

5.) How big is your budget? The PSP-3k is not only cheaper, the Games available for it have the chance of going on sale whereas the PS Store games, well only go on sale once a year. If your lucky. But its not like theyre expensive. 

So thats what I think.

I hope this helps everyone who reads it. Remember if your new to the PSP and you plan on investing in a new console. STUDY IT. Do not just dish out the 250 Dollars for a console that doesnt suit you. 

Oh hey I only used the legend thing once. Thought I would need it more.

If you have any extra Pros or Cons to add let me know, your name will be credited!

I would like to say:

That if you have any extra information about the two consoles please post here. I would like this thread to become a 1 stop shop for all new users.

Also if you have somthing negative to say, Please provide feedback for me to make improvments. Simply saying Boo or how your better at making info threads is a waste of a post and makes our community look like a bunch of children running around posting wildly simply to get +1 to our count. This thread is aimed at new users so acting like a bunch of jerks isn't good advertising is it?

Edits:
Added info about tethering with bluetooth

Added info about screen size diffrences. Thanksto densetsu86!

Modified info about the Pause Game feature to enphasize the reason it is better than the K-Series sleep mode save. Thanks borgqueen7!

Modified info about Pause Game to correctly state how the function works when trying to launch a new game. Thanks ControlNode!

Added Sleep mode pause game to the Core Features.

Message Edited by Sky_The_Assassin on 01-15-2010 11:38 AM
Please use plain text.
Message 16 of 21 (172 Views)
Wastelander
882 posts

Re: My PSP-Go Vs. PSP Comparison thread.

Jan 13, 2010
This a great thread for people to consult before purchasing a Go, very useful. I've had my PSP Go for a week now and I really enjoy it.
Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 21 (172 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
1 posts

Jan 14, 2010
You forgot to add that the PSP 3000 screen is bigger than the GO's. When you see them side by side playing the same game, you really come to appreciate the larger sized screen. 
Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 21 (172 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5490 posts

Jan 15, 2010
this kind of thread as the one in my sig (not to throw flowers on me :smileyvery-happy:) are very useful threads to newcomers or people who cant decide which to get or dont know who to contact if issues in DD games (my thread), and should be sticky threads...
A guide to your PSP DD Glitches
Hope it helps you and if let me know which developer screw up in their DD ports to update the list

Rest in Peace BoneOfWorld...you will be missed
Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 21 (172 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
488 posts

Jan 15, 2010
BOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!
There is no I in team...but there is in win victory and champion
"but your too callow to believe that death's inevitable" - Me
You just lost the game
(+.-:-) = kewl
( )
(+.=-:-)
Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 21 (172 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
197 posts

Jan 15, 2010
I have a pspgo and its awesome. pausing the game is really awesome. bluetooth is really awesome. i have no problem hold my pspgo. 
Please use plain text.
Message 5 of 21 (172 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
197 posts

Jan 15, 2010

losdodgers wrote:
This thread is badly formatted and lacks almost all information. If I could give negative Kudos, I would.
Lemme guess your one of those guys that come in to make everyone feel like crap because your an **bleep**!

Please use plain text.
Message 6 of 21 (172 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
7157 posts

Jan 15, 2010

Trevor7843 wrote:

losdodgers wrote:
This thread is badly formatted and lacks almost all information. If I could give negative Kudos, I would.
Lemme guess your one of those guys that come in to make everyone feel like crap because your an **bleep**!

Wrong. I'm one of those guys that can make an information better than most people.

My bad, I though the section names were PSP games.
(Just an example how thread needs to be improved.)
Please use plain text.
Message 7 of 21 (172 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
7157 posts

Jan 15, 2010
Message Edited by losdodgers on 2010.01.14 09:03 PM
Please use plain text.
Message 8 of 21 (172 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
197 posts

Jan 15, 2010

losdodgers wrote:

Trevor7843 wrote:

losdodgers wrote:

Wrong. I'm one of those guys that can make an information better than most people.

My bad, I though the section names were PSP games.
(Just an example how thread needs to be improved.)
An information? you should of never put an in there.

Please use plain text.
Message 9 of 21 (172 Views)
0 Likes