Fender Bender
2966 posts

Re: Should Sony phase out UMD?

Mar 6, 2010

syscoman wrote:

I agree with that link up above on the PSP 3000. They should have stuck with downloads in the first place. The problem was back then memory sticks were super expensive.

Some of you might have read me wrong, I didn't say the next PSP should give up the having a physical format. It will have one, but it just won't be UMD. They will still support the old PSP. Hell, they are still making PS2 consoles. Having a UMD drive for BC in the PSP2 will be a very big mistake IMO. If you want to play the old PSP games, you will have to buy them on the PSN store. Hopefully by the time the next console comes out, they will have most of the games on there already.

They won't phase them out now. It will be a gradual process that will probably take a couple of years if not more.

Will the next use BD? Probably, considering it will make it really hard to hack.

I agree, even if ppl want the umd, it dont mean sony will have a umd drive for a all new psp2. Its down to where sony is headed and to compete sometimes sony will have to make hard choices some ppl wont like. But we wont know what sony will do till they announce any new products and i hope this year at E3we will see something new.

Everyone has their own opinion. The people you interact with in a community come from all walks of life, many different religions and beliefs, different family income levels, different points of view on many of today's hot topics of discussion. In a nutshell, each person is entitled to his or her own opinion. Discussion about it is the best thing to do, after all that's what communities are for. If it turns into some kind of sparring match, agree to disagree and move on.
Message 11 of 24 (20 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
8171 posts

Mar 6, 2010

They need to replace them with cartridges, not slow moving optical media.

Message 12 of 24 (20 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3460 posts

Mar 6, 2010

Doppelgangergang wrote:

They need to replace them with cartridges

UMD was literally invented to replace cartridges. UMD costs a lot less.
Message 13 of 24 (20 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
719 posts

Mar 6, 2010

Techni wrote:

Doppelgangergang wrote:

It's  too little too late for UMD now. If UMD was going to exceed, it would have by now. It hasn't. Now Sony has a chance to start fresh with the PSP2.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Vita games: 35
Message 14 of 24 (20 Views)
Fender Bender
3460 posts

Mar 6, 2010

syscoman wrote:

Techni wrote:

Doppelgangergang wrote:

It's  too little too late for UMD now. If UMD was going to exceed, it would have by now

It has. For most people, it has since day 1.

syscoman wrote:

If they were going to abandon it they would have done it already.

Agreed. And UMD is still supported more than downloads.

Message 15 of 24 (20 Views)
0 Likes
Highlighted
Wastelander
658 posts

Mar 6, 2010

With the PSP 3000 being the biggest seller all over the world, I see no reason why SONY would even consider dropping the UMD.  As I write this, I can tell you, there has been several new releases of games on the UMD and NEW releases of movies on UMD.  If you check the sellers on EBay, you'll also see that there has been a sudden increase of UMD games and videos.

This is partly due to SONY not dropping the 3000 and the continuance of offering package deals.  Will the GO stay as well?  I see no reason to drop it in the first place.  The GO is for those who wish not to carry UMD's around.

The UMD allows PSP users to swap and sell games or videos. You play the game, you win, you sell or trade.  Thats what is great about the UMD's.  Nobody ever said you had to carry around a suitcase of UMD's, so get that thought out of your head. 

Whats nice about DD?  I can attach the AV cable to my home theater in my truck.  When we travel, my wife and son can sit and watch videos that I have stored on my stick without having to change the disc. 

So, in reference to UMD's.........NO  I don't see SONY getting rid of them any time soon.

Eagle
Message 16 of 24 (20 Views)
Wastelander
719 posts

Mar 6, 2010

Techni wrote:

syscoman wrote:

Techni wrote:

Doppelgangergang wrote:

It's  too little too late for UMD now. If UMD was going to exceed, it would have by now

It has. For most people, it has since day 1.

syscoman wrote:

If they were going to abandon it they would have done it already.

Agreed. And UMD is still supported more than downloads.

One of the reasons why UMD is more supported by users is because the PSN has only a small selection of the games available. Once Sony gets most of the games on there the tides will change for UMD. It's only a matter of time.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Message 17 of 24 (20 Views)
Wastelander
719 posts

Mar 7, 2010

WA7JK wrote:

With the PSP 3000 being the biggest seller all over the world, I see no reason why SONY would even consider dropping the UMD.  As I write this, I can tell you, there has been several new releases of games on the UMD and NEW releases of movies on UMD.  If you check the sellers on EBay, you'll also see that there has been a sudden increase of UMD games and videos.

This is partly due to SONY not dropping the 3000 and the continuance of offering package deals.  Will the GO stay as well?  I see no reason to drop it in the first place.  The GO is for those who wish not to carry UMD's around.

The UMD allows PSP users to swap and sell games or videos. You play the game, you win, you sell or trade.  Thats what is great about the UMD's.  Nobody ever said you had to carry around a suitcase of UMD's, so get that thought out of your head. 

Whats nice about DD?  I can attach the AV cable to my home theater in my truck.  When we travel, my wife and son can sit and watch videos that I have stored on my stick without having to change the disc. 

So, in reference to UMD's.........NO  I don't see SONY getting rid of them any time soon.

I didn't say Sony should drop UMD totally. I said they should phase them out over a 2+ year period right up to the release of the PSP2. It will give people a slow transition from that format to the new one. Being it physical or digital, who knows.

Sorry, but I love to have my whole ENTIRE games collection at the ready. And I said it before, I hate selling and trading my games. Unless it's a rare games, you basically get nothing in return for them. You go to EB Games and buy one new for, lets say, $30. A week later, you finish the game and they only give you $7 for it? That is what most of the trade in value they give most of the UMD games right now. I know, there is Ebay, but after their fees, shipping and packaging costs are factored in, is it really worth it?? Thats how I sold most of my cd music collection and I barely made any money off of them. I am so glad I have a iPod. My whole entire collection at the ready.

O yeah, about the UMD movie comment, that one is FALSE. The only way you can get those new UMD movie releases is online (like amazon). The stores do not carry them anymore. I know, I check the shelves weekly. And most of those new releases are Sony picture releases.

Message 18 of 24 (20 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3460 posts

Mar 7, 2010

syscoman wrote:

Sorry, but I love to have my whole ENTIRE games collection at the ready

So do most people. But PSP2 games are going to be a few times larger than PSP games, for Sony to put enough space in PSP2 to fit every game you'll own or do already, would cost far too much

You suggest Sony use a physical medium, that'd be UMD. There is nothing else more suitable. Solid state mediums are vastly more expensive than UMD, which is why UMD was made/used in the first place

Message 19 of 24 (20 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
719 posts

Mar 7, 2010

Techni wrote:

syscoman wrote:

Sorry, but I love to have my whole ENTIRE games collection at the ready

So do most people. But PSP2 games are going to be a few times larger than PSP games, for Sony to put enough space in PSP2 to fit every game you'll own or do already, would cost far too much

You suggest Sony use a physical medium, that'd be UMD. There is nothing else more suitable. Solid state mediums are vastly more expensive than UMD, which is why UMD was made/used in the first place

So you want the UMD in the PSP2? I sure as hell don't!!! I can pretty well bet it won't be in the PSP2 either.
I think they should stay on track with DD keep making it better. I am pretty much at the point that I have given up on the physical media format with the PSP. When the PSP2 does come out, I am sticking with downloading my games.
Message 20 of 24 (20 Views)
0 Likes