Aug 28 2010
By: TLRtheory First Son 21 posts

So how's everyone feel about Square-Enix giving us the middle finger on BBS?

24 replies 27 views Edited Aug 28, 2010

Some people that have given DD a chance have realized that killing off the UMD means you don't have to carry the thing around, you don't have to worry about the disc being messed up or the chance of a defective UMD, it loads faster, and avoiding UMD drive usage is just that much more battery life saved making it more ideal. Collectors may not have their bragging rights, but the format itself is less cumbersome and more efficient.

...and since DD isn't limited towards the PSP Go, it affects ALL PSP users that wanna take advantage of DD.

Anyone "in the know" already knows that the BBS piracy protection methods failed anyway,

and has realized from a few previous updates ago that Disney's cool with digital releases...

...so at this point Square-Enix is really just fighting their own sales by making BBS UMD only.

They're doing it to themselves... gamers up-to-speed with the DD revolution will likely complain for a bit, then just spend their money on Phantasy Star Portable 2 (which will definitely have more lasting appeal and play value).

How's everybuddy feel about this?

I've half a sliver of faith that Square-Enix will make a smart move and work on a digital release so that they don't lose what little respect gamers still have for them... but after seeing how poorly they handheld FFT:War of the Lion's shortcomings, I've got this notion that they just don't care about gamers, and would rather work on whatever gets 'em a quick buck.

I mean, I already have a PSP-2000 - but I'd rather just have it digitally or skip it completely than have to deal with UMDs again.

(EDIT: And before someone goes on a nerdrage, I already know another topic exists like this... but the aim of this topic is completely different)

Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 25 (27 Views)
I Only Post Everything
1263 posts

Re: So how's everyone feel about Square-Enix giving us the middle finger on BBS?

Aug 28, 2010
I never liked Kingdom Hearts.
And i HATE Disney.
So, me and my PSPgo wont miss out on ANYTHING
Best cover art ever! on Twitpic
Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 25 (27 Views)
Lombax Warrior
155 posts

Re: So how's everyone feel about Square-Enix giving us the middle finger on BBS?

Aug 28, 2010

Ill be getting PSP2 instead like you say. But i like SE's games and have been for years. I think that SE and Disney are at fault here. Disney released a few psOne classics on the psn probably to test the psn water but they dont release anything recent.

If i was a company i would release a DL version so that i dont have to pay retail cost. However we dont know the PSN cost so maybe its better at a brick and mortar shop.

Im going to be playing BBS still eventually just after many other games.

Get your Portable ID!
Yeah I have no trophies. Big Whoop, wanna fight 'bout it?
Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 25 (27 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
10123 posts

Aug 28, 2010

I have a K-series, so they didn't give me the middle finger XD

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 25 (27 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1001 posts

Aug 28, 2010

As a Go Owner i just feel like they dont care for their customers/fan. why alienate them?

but something does seems fishy like you said Disney has shown that Digital is ok as with Sqaure with the psp and ipods so it just seems like Sony might have said/did something to square to make them not what to release a digital version. from what i know Sony wants devs to pay 2000$ for the devkit which is what they need to make digital copies of the game, Along with that they ask for 30% of all profits (whereas UMD sale Sony only ask for 10% or something i dont know the exact number) while it seems like a lot of money/time to make a digital version of their games Why did they do it to their past games if only now they are uncomfortable about it?

I recently called my mom (lol) since i seems to remember to have left my psp there after i left for college. I really hope its there since i really dont want to waste money to buy another psp just to play 1 game. 

iTofuMan Trophy Card

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Please use plain text.
Message 5 of 25 (27 Views)
0 Likes
Monster Hunter
44 posts

Aug 28, 2010

i am not as devasted as some go owners. bbs was on my list but it was not  a first day purchase for me. i really think it will make it to psn within a month after its umd release. i'd bet on it. 2 months max.

Please use plain text.
Message 6 of 25 (27 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
21 posts

Aug 28, 2010

ever since the japaneese release 9 months ago everyone knew itwouldn't be released on psn, your fault for buying a Go, don't blame SE or disney, blame pirates, cause its their fault they don't want to make it downloadable cause pirates would be able to crack it in 5 seconds, and honestly after not seeing many of SE's games on psn did you really expect BbS to go up to?

Please use plain text.
Message 7 of 25 (27 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
21 posts

Aug 28, 2010

Jet_Cobra wrote:

ever since the japaneese release 9 months ago everyone knew itwouldn't be released on psn, your fault for buying a Go, don't blame SE or disney, blame pirates, cause its their fault they don't want to make it downloadable cause pirates would be able to crack it in 5 seconds, and honestly after not seeing many of SE's games on psn did you really expect BbS to go up to?

Lol, did you even read this topic?

The PSP Go has very little to do with this, and the PSP Go isn't the extent of people effected by this... and honestly, they're hurting themselves more than they're hurting gamers. Their anti-piracy method failed anyway, and now the hackers understand the algorithm behind 6.30 game protection and will be able to hack it even easier this time around... so at this point all they're doing is limiting the audiences that this game release can touch.

Piracy's gonna happen - sucks but it's the truth; so the wisest move they can make is to cater to everyone so that no one gets pissed enough to resort to piracy (or them losing profit when someone buys it used). I mighta bought it day one at full price as a DD... but now that I'm forced to break out my old, clunky, slow-loading PSP-2000 and deal with UMDs again, I'll likely just wait until the fad/buzz appeal dies down so I can get it for under $20 on Amazon (as you can do for $9 with Crisis Core, or under $15 for each currently released Kingdom Hearts game).

The Japanese release lacking at least had a bit of justification behind it since Disney of Japan is against DD... but, as the Phantasy Star Portable 2 Demo having unexclusive online play proves... something being done a certain way in Japan doesn't mean America must follow suit.

Please use plain text.
Message 8 of 25 (27 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1356 posts

Aug 29, 2010

Honestly I think its coming to PSN anyway why would they Show it getting played in a E3 Montage??? I have a 2000,3000, and a Go so it doesn't matter to me.

Please use plain text.
Message 9 of 25 (27 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
7400 posts

Aug 29, 2010

No big loss to me.

Anyway, it's Disney. Disney thinks that it's copyright infringement to put DD titles up.

http://www.joystiq.com/2009/11/23/rumor-kingdom-hearts-birth-by-sleep-not-releasing-on-psn/

FIVE YEARS ON PLAYSTATION FORUMS

YOUTUBE REVIEWS ~ TROPHIES ~ GAMING YOUTUBE ~ LITTLEBIGPLANET

Bitcoin is nice: 16SVoaaAfWtywpQ9GDqqzfoyGvt21XCB6M
Dogecoin is nice too: DU6DPv41zfqbSwvFz8LKYhVcgLsX85B3My
Please use plain text.
Message 10 of 25 (27 Views)
0 Likes