Mar 01 2010
By: erjoh Lombax Warrior 248 posts

Why is the USA missing all the functionality of the PSP?

13 replies 20 views Edited Mar 1, 2010

Camera, GPS, different colors.....Seriously, with the PSP hurting in the US, why not give the system a boost with already tested and made add-ons? 

I just don't get it.  Europe and Japan have all of these and their sales are larger......it's like US Sony marketting has the three stooges.

Message 1 of 14 (20 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1005 posts

Re: Why is the USA missing all the functionality of the PSP?

Mar 1, 2010

Because John Koller is an Idiot!

Honestly I really don't know I guess they ASSUME we as the customers don't want GPS/Camera/Different Color Psp, and while i'll admit a GPS/Camera is not needed for a gaming system, different color psp would be nice. its nice to have veriety and be unqie in having a psp instead of having 1/2 dull color (Black/White) OR atleast put them in Bundles that puts the term "Limited Edition" to the bundle.

But really i only say to blame John Koller since he is the reason why the Psp is doing so badly, He doesnt want to support it, he denies games to be localized assuming WE dont want it. He has the final say in anything going out! and its just plain stupid.

iTofuMan Trophy Card

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Message 2 of 14 (20 Views)
I Only Post Everything
1321 posts

Mar 1, 2010

The add-ons probably  wouldn't sell well. There's always a risk of losing money if they tried to bring those to the US.

----------------------------------------------------------------
Message 3 of 14 (20 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
248 posts

Mar 1, 2010

akadewboy wrote:

The add-ons probably  wouldn't sell well. There's always a risk of losing money if they tried to bring those to the US.

The thing is that we don't know.  I will tell you that a camera with video skype would really perk my interest....the GPS perks my interest and I would be willing to pay for that.  I don't think there is a question that there would  be a market in the US for these sorts of things.....what I think is the issue here is Sony's view of Americans.    There is NO development costs......this is a very cheap thing to do however Sony has yet to bring them here......Most likely due to it would inhibit the Go's debut.....like anything would make that worse.

Message 4 of 14 (20 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
21754 posts

Mar 2, 2010

A lot of people seem to believe that because these products exist in the EU or Japan, that offering them in the USA and Canada would cost basically nothing, and be easy to do.  A lot of people apparently aren't very familiar with how retail sales work.  Unless you are ordering all of your Sony products from the Sony Style stores or sonystyle.com, Sony doesn't actually sell Playstation products to you.  Sony sells Playstation products to retailers like Best  Buy, GameStop. WalMart, and Toys R Us; who then sell them to you.  Sony has to convince retailers to buy the products from Sony, before they ever get offered to you.  That isn't going to happen until the retailers are confident that people will actually buy these products, as opposed to just saying that they will.  The limited experience with "special' edition PSPs in North America has not been particularly encouraging, meaning that they haven't exactly been flying off store shelves in large numbers. When they are not offered here, lots of people complain.  When they are offered here, a lot fewer people actually pay a premium to buy them. As a result, retailers are not eager to stock more "special" SKUs, for which there is relatively little demand.  How many people really want to spend $50+ use their PSP as yet another digital insta-matic camera, which many people's mobile phones can already do?  How many people really want to spend even more to use their PSP as a GPS, a feature that many mobile phones already have?  To get retailers to buy these products, the retailers have to be confident that the demand will be there.  So far they are a lot more confident about that in the EU and Japan, than they are in North America. 

Demand from retailers aside, Sony would understandably be more interested in providing these premium items in geographies where the Sony brand has more cachet than say, Apple; then they would be in North America, where consumers have been shifting towards Apple, Microsoft, and other Sony competitors in the consumer electronics space for several years.  Loyalty will be rewarded, but it has to be the loyalty of many.  Not just a faithful few.

GKP
Message 5 of 14 (20 Views)
Lombax Warrior
248 posts

Mar 2, 2010

gkpama00 wrote:

The limited experience with "special' edition PSPs in North America has not been particularly encouraging, meaning that they haven't exactly been flying off store shelves in large numbers. When they are not offered here, lots of people complain.  When they are offered here, a lot fewer people actually pay a premium to buy them. As a result, retailers are not eager to stock more "special" SKUs, for which there is relatively little demand.  How many people really want to spend $50+ use their PSP as yet another digital insta-matic camera, which many people's mobile phones can already do?  How many people really want to spend even more to use their PSP as a GPS, a feature that many mobile phones already have?  To get retailers to buy these products, the retailers have to be confident that the demand will be there.  So far they are a lot more confident about that in the EU and Japan, than they are in North America. 

Demand from retailers aside, Sony would understandably be more interested in providing these premium items in geographies where the Sony brand has more cachet than say, Apple; then they would be in North America, where consumers have been shifting towards Apple, Microsoft, and other Sony competitors in the consumer electronics space for several years.  Loyalty will be rewarded, but it has to be the loyalty of many.  Not just a faithful few.

If that the the stance Sony has, then it's no wonder they are loosing to the others.  It's self-fulfilling prophecy and maybe I need to seriously think about if the playstation brand is right for me.....I don't support suicide of any kind.

When they only limitedly support their products and then wonder why they are failing, it seems pretty freaking clear to me.  Look at HDD for the PS2 for a historic example.  Japan had over 20 games that supported this add-on while the US had around 5.  IT FAILED!  I would pay for the GPS...I would even pay for GPS service...I would pay for the camera if video skyping was available (something that could easily be done with firmware).  I know I'm not alone. 

Also I don't buy the retailer explanation because someone out there had to understand that having a more expensive alternative that lacks the ability to read the main media for game access (SEE PSP GO) would be a bad idea.  I wouldn't sell that.....I would use ONE to collect dust so to help sell tons of PSP-3000's.

Message 6 of 14 (20 Views)
0 Likes
Highlighted
Wastelander
658 posts

Mar 20, 2010

GOOD NEWS !!!  Japan says as soon as they get the Toyota's fixed, they'll work on getting PSP upgrades to the US !!

Eagle
Message 7 of 14 (20 Views)
Fender Bender
3139 posts

Mar 21, 2010

erjoh wrote:

akadewboy wrote:

The thing is that we don't know.  I will tell you that a camera with video skype would really perk my interest....the GPS perks my interest and I would be willing to pay for that.  I don't think there is a question that there would  be a market in the US for these sorts of things.....what I think is the issue here is Sony's view of Americans.    There is NO development costs......this is a very cheap thing to do however Sony has yet to bring them here......Most likely due to it would inhibit the Go's debut.....like anything would make that worse.

yep, they already manufactured tonnes of these things and bringing them here would only be a matter of shipping costs.

again... but at least I got my data off it and deactivated my accounts.
Message 8 of 14 (20 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
1 posts

Mar 23, 2010

I think it goes both ways. The US and Asia  has tons of games that the EU doesn't have for example. Its just really badly done. I don't see why games/add-ons can't have multi region release. I mean the psp is region free, so it shouldnt cost anymore to localise a game for example.

Message 9 of 14 (20 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
14 posts

Mar 24, 2010

if they would sell us the add ons like maybe youtube on the psp or like friends list them maybe hacking woulg decrease alot

imortal demon (*)(*)
Message 10 of 14 (20 Views)
0 Likes