0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1482 posts

Re: "No new mobile launches this year."

Sep 12, 2010

glaciusx25 wrote:

APVangeliLHS wrote:

glaciusx25 wrote:
I Just hope no PSPhone or whatever comes out. Ever.

Why? I know more people with more than one cell phone than I do people who own PSP's.

A lot more people buy a lot more cellular phones... Adding one that CAN PLAY REAL GAMES, and if that is the HEAVILY ADVERTISED FEATURE, it would obviously sell more.

Then there could be a more expensive, (without cellular subsidaries,) regular PSP2. With a highly similar form factor, but no ear-speaker and no cellular antenna. (Well, it could still keep the ear-speaker for being something like the MYLO, a skype phone, google talk phone, etc... over wifi.)

It could work. And it WOULD sell more, making developers notice it more, making it a more viable platform.

That's not really a good comparison. That's like saying I know more people with more than one computer than people that own a PS3. One is more USEFUL. The other is for entertainment.

Or you can have useful entertainment.

Most people that buy cell phones use it to do phone stuff. The problem I see is: If playing online, someone calls you, what happens? Game interrupted? Play and talk? Call goes "missed"? Or even playing offline. I don't want people calling me while playing my game, therefore interrupting my game.

You can disable the cellular connection on any phone. I never get interupted when playing games on my applePhone.

And I don't want "turn off phone feature during gameplay" setting. Because most people play games during times people would call (or even text).

Then there can be a small notification bar that appears on the top of the screen if you get a text or a call, and if you click it, it pauses the game for you (like the pause-game feature on the PSPgo, not just "pausing" the game,) and takes you to do answer or respond, then you can go right back into your game.

Would it have a vibrate feature? Because a handheld that could possibly vibrate during gameplay wouldn't feel right.

I love games that vibrate on my applePhone, it makes racing games fun, shooting games, etc. It would be a welcome addition.

If it's a phone, it has to be compact. But without physical controls (buttons, analog), it probably would be less appealing for the game aspect. The only way it could do this is if 1) It has a touchscreen for phone usage and 2) Slides out like a Go for the game aspect. But I still think it'd be crammed.

The PSPgo is essentially the same size as many new smartphones. Actually, a lot of smartphones have bigger screens than the PSPgo, so if it stayed the same size it would be right at home.

The "Phone version, non-phone version" is something too. Would the non-phone version have touchscreen too? Is it like iPhone to iTouch? Would the phone one have 3G or something (and therefore cost even more)?

It would all be the same. A touch-screen would be nice on the non-phone version because it can still make browsing XMB, web, etc, much easier. Using the on screen keyboard would be AWESOME. So a touchscreen would also be welcome. The only difference between the phone/non-phone version would be the cellular antenna. And the price.

I just personally think it's a hassle. I don't care if anything I said is wrong (and probably won't look at this thread to see any replies). But Sony should leave their phone part separate from the gaming part. And I'd hate to see battery life for the phone version.

I'd love to see the battery life, as the PSP uses a RETARDED battery. If they actually put any DECENT battery in it, the battery life would be better.

(And this is just a question, because I don't know, but who's the provider of Sony phones? Is it sony themselves? Because i don't know).

It's this joint thing between Sony and some "Ericsson" company or something... But they do make them.. HTC doesn't just make phones and brand them as Sony phones. Pfft.

Bawk at my brilliant PSPgo
Message 12 of 24 (14 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1306 posts

Sep 12, 2010

Here is another bit in the discussion. Interesting the senior VP of Marketing did not say just say Sony PlayStation devices but, Sony devices:

Q: "Will you be extending the brand to other company's hardware that runs PlayStation games?"

A: "Our strategy is to maintain the PlayStation brand on Sony devices and provide experiences that are exclusive and proprietary"

Message 13 of 24 (14 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1306 posts

Sep 12, 2010

APVangeliLHS wrote:

glaciusx25 wrote:

APVangeliLHS wrote:

glaciusx25 wrote:

Why? I know more people with more than one cell phone than I do people who own PSP's.

A lot more people buy a lot more cellular phones... Adding one that CAN PLAY REAL GAMES, and if that is the HEAVILY ADVERTISED FEATURE, it would obviously sell more.

Then there could be a more expensive, (without cellular subsidaries,) regular PSP2. With a highly similar form factor, but no ear-speaker and no cellular antenna. (Well, it could still keep the ear-speaker for being something like the MYLO, a skype phone, google talk phone, etc... over wifi.)

It could work. And it WOULD sell more, making developers notice it more, making it a more viable platform.

That's not really a good comparison. That's like saying I know more people with more than one computer than people that own a PS3. One is more USEFUL. The other is for entertainment.

use-fo-tainment...

Most people that buy cell phones use it to do phone stuff. The problem I see is: If playing online, someone calls you, what happens? Game interrupted? Play and talk? Call goes "missed"? Or even playing offline. I don't want people calling me while playing my game, therefore interrupting my game.

You can disable the cellular connection on any phone. I never get interupted when playing games on my applePhone.

Or you can use Teleportable (a concept of mine) and disable call interruptions during game-play by just pressing the menu button, clicking a new option where you check your 'live' call-log and click menu button again and go back to your game. There can also be emergency phone numbers that can interrupt but, first it would make a resume game (game state) than go to the call. Simple.

And I don't want "turn off phone feature during gameplay" setting. Because most people play games during times people would call (or even text).

Then there can be a small notification bar that appears on the top of the screen if you get a text or a call, and if you click it, it pauses the game for you (like the pause-game feature on the PSPgo, not just "pausing" the game,) and takes you to do answer or respond, then you can go right back into your game.

It was originally called a 'save-state'. Sony basically borrowed (I use that term loosely) the idea from a 'brewer that developed it years before the PSPgo. As for the pop-up, I would rather not have that. A vibrate or ring function works better in game. There's little screen real-estate as is. 

Would it have a vibrate feature? Because a handheld that could possibly vibrate during gameplay wouldn't feel right.

I love games that vibrate on my applePhone, it makes racing games fun, shooting games, etc. It would be a welcome addition.

If it's a phone, it has to be compact. But without physical controls (buttons, analog), it probably would be less appealing for the game aspect. The only way it could do this is if 1) It has a touchscreen for phone usage and 2) Slides out like a Go for the game aspect. But I still think it'd be crammed.

The PSPgo is essentially the same size as many new smartphones. Actually, a lot of smartphones have bigger screens than the PSPgo, so if it stayed the same size it would be right at home.

The "Phone version, non-phone version" is something too. Would the non-phone version have touchscreen too? Is it like iPhone to iTouch? Would the phone one have 3G or something (and therefore cost even more)?

It would all be the same. A touch-screen would be nice on the non-phone version because it can still make browsing XMB, web, etc, much easier. Using the on screen keyboard would be AWESOME. So a touchscreen would also be welcome. The only difference between the phone/non-phone version would be the cellular antenna. And the price.

TS, Back-side TP, accelerometer, BT, Wi-Fi b/g/n and, would all be nice across each platform. Phone version could have SIM card, phone antennas 3G circuitry and (only) whatever other hardware which may cost more and give the phone version a different look/cost. Not a drastic change, I imagine. Approximately, +$300 for the phone version (with a less upfront cost if on a cellular phone plan) and +$250 for non-phone version. Non-phone version will likely have a cap below $300 which is about the PS3 price, to deter the perception of 'why not just buy a PS3?'.

I just personally think it's a hassle. I don't care if anything I said is wrong (and probably won't look at this thread to see any replies). But Sony should leave their phone part separate from the gaming part. And I'd hate to see battery life for the phone version.

I'd love to see the battery life, as the PSP uses a RETARDED battery. If they actually put any DECENT battery in it, the battery life would be better.

Battery technology doesn't work at the same progress as CPU's or other forms of computer technology. It's mainly because explosive mobile processors aren't as likely dangerous as explosive batteries (at least they are not reported much). I'm sure battery technology will improve in the future.

(And this is just a question, because I don't know, but who's the provider of Sony phones? Is it sony themselves? Because i don't know).

It's this joint thing between Sony and some "Ericsson" company or something... But they do make them.. HTC doesn't just make phones and brand them as Sony phones. Pfft.

Sony Ericsson? I guess a PSP2/phone with part of the Sony Ericsson branding would help the Ericsson brand. Right now their best phone out is the Xperia X10, which is not bad but, not that awesome I hear. And if a mod is looking at this, buy PlayStation brand only. lol

Message 14 of 24 (14 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1745 posts

Sep 12, 2010

APVangeliLHS wrote:

glaciusx25 wrote:

APVangeliLHS wrote:

glaciusx25 wrote:

I would say go is quite a bit bigger on paper

go

69 mm (2.7 in) (h)
128 mm (5.0 in) (w)
16.5 mm (0.65 in) (d)

iphone 4

115.2 mm (4.54 in) (h)
58.66 mm (2.309 in) (w)
9.3 mm (0.37 in) (d)

Even the depth of it is way biger almost double in fact.

Blackberry curve 8900

4.29 inches (109 mm)

Width:
2.36 inches (60 mm)

Depth:
0.53 inches (13.5 mm)

Weight:
3.87 ounces (109.9)

Blackberry's make go look even bigger.

116.3 mm (4.58 in) (h)
60.5 mm (2.38 in) (w)
13.7 mm (0.54 in) (d)

droid x has a 4.3' screen yet still smaller than go

127.5 mm (5.0 in) (h)
65.5 mm (2.6 in) (w)
9.9 mm (0.4 in) (d)

And with go u gotta remeber it would be even bigger with the phone speaker and mic and other phone parts

Message 15 of 24 (14 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1482 posts

Sep 12, 2010

p4s2p0 wrote:

APVangeliLHS wrote:

glaciusx25 wrote:

APVangeliLHS wrote:

glaciusx25 wrote:

go

69 mm (2.7 in) (h)
128 mm (5.0 in) (w)
16.5 mm (0.65 in) (d)

iphone 4

115.2 mm (4.54 in) (h)
58.66 mm (2.309 in) (w)
9.3 mm (0.37 in) (d)

Blackberry curve 8900

4.29 inches (109 mm)

Width:
2.36 inches (60 mm)

Depth:
0.53 inches (13.5 mm)

Weight:
3.87 ounces (109.9)

116.3 mm (4.58 in) (h)
60.5 mm (2.38 in) (w)
13.7 mm (0.54 in) (d)

127.5 mm (5.0 in) (h)
65.5 mm (2.6 in) (w)
9.9 mm (0.4 in) (d)

And with go u gotta remeber it would be even bigger with the phone speaker and mic and other phone parts

The PSPgo can actually get a lot smaller width-wise, if you ever look at a tear-down of one, the curved part of the sides is hollow. It's that way so it's more comfortable to play with. New pieces of technology can surely go there, and around the screen, and current pieces will be upgraded with new (like processors,) and will most probably take up less space... (You see how big that 1GHz processor from Apple is? The A4? MICRO-SIZED!)

So the PSPgo could stay the same size in transition to PSP2. Though, I would like it a bit wider because that makes dual analog sticks better.

Also, all of those phones are a screen. And that's it. (Except the Blackberry curve.) If you find any phone with a slide-out keyboard it is a lot bigger. You chose the thinnest, smallest phones to use as an example, and it's not a good comparison.

Bawk at my brilliant PSPgo
Message 16 of 24 (14 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1745 posts

Sep 12, 2010

APVangeliLHS wrote:

p4s2p0 wrote:

APVangeliLHS wrote:

glaciusx25 wrote:

APVangeliLHS wrote:

glaciusx25 wrote:

go

69 mm (2.7 in) (h)
128 mm (5.0 in) (w)
16.5 mm (0.65 in) (d)

iphone 4

115.2 mm (4.54 in) (h)
58.66 mm (2.309 in) (w)
9.3 mm (0.37 in) (d)

Blackberry curve 8900

4.29 inches (109 mm)

Width:
2.36 inches (60 mm)

Depth:
0.53 inches (13.5 mm)

Weight:
3.87 ounces (109.9)

116.3 mm (4.58 in) (h)
60.5 mm (2.38 in) (w)
13.7 mm (0.54 in) (d)

127.5 mm (5.0 in) (h)
65.5 mm (2.6 in) (w)
9.9 mm (0.4 in) (d)

The PSPgo can actually get a lot smaller width-wise, if you ever look at a tear-down of one, the curved part of the sides is hollow. It's that way so it's more comfortable to play with. New pieces of technology can surely go there, and around the screen, and current pieces will be upgraded with new (like processors,) and will most probably take up less space... (You see how big that 1GHz processor from Apple is? The A4? MICRO-SIZED!)

So the PSPgo could stay the same size in transition to PSP2. Though, I would like it a bit wider because that makes dual analog sticks better.

Also, all of those phones are a screen. And that's it. (Except the Blackberry curve.) If you find any phone with a slide-out keyboard it is a lot bigger. You chose the thinnest, smallest phones to use as an example, and it's not a good comparison.

Auctually blackberry's have keyboards, point is go is bigger than all of them. Then put up a bigger phone I went by popularity. My motorola w490 is even smaller and I bet there are smaller than mine. So my examples are not the smallest, or the biggest but what people want.

If sony is going to make a psp phone they will want to make it competitve(size wise) or they could end up with a smaller consumer base than they have now, especially if they loose hard core gamers cause of touchscreen games

The biggest phones out there probably aren't all that popular but I can see why u whould want to compare it to the go it would make the go look good

V90 with sliding keyboard still smaller than go

113mm x 58mm x 17mm

HTC Touch Pro sliding keyboard also smaller than go

102 mm (L) X 51 mm (W) X 18.05 mm

Message 17 of 24 (14 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1306 posts

Sep 12, 2010

p4s2p0 wrote:

APVangeliLHS wrote:

p4s2p0 wrote:

APVangeliLHS wrote:

glaciusx25 wrote:

APVangeliLHS wrote:

glaciusx25 wrote:

go

69 mm (2.7 in) (h)
128 mm (5.0 in) (w)
16.5 mm (0.65 in) (d)

iphone 4

115.2 mm (4.54 in) (h)
58.66 mm (2.309 in) (w)
9.3 mm (0.37 in) (d)

Blackberry curve 8900

4.29 inches (109 mm)

Width:
2.36 inches (60 mm)

Depth:
0.53 inches (13.5 mm)

Weight:
3.87 ounces (109.9)

116.3 mm (4.58 in) (h)
60.5 mm (2.38 in) (w)
13.7 mm (0.54 in) (d)

127.5 mm (5.0 in) (h)
65.5 mm (2.6 in) (w)
9.9 mm (0.4 in) (d)

Auctually blackberry's have keyboards, point is go is bigger than all of them. Then put up a bigger phone I went by popularity. My motorola w490 is even smaller and I bet there are smaller than mine. So my examples are not the smallest, or the biggest but what people want.

If sony is going to make a psp phone they will want to make it competitve(size wise) or they could end up with a smaller consumer base than they have now, especially if they loose hard core gamers cause of touchscreen games

The biggest phones out there probably aren't all that popular but I can see why u whould want to compare it to the go it would make the go look good

113mm x 58mm x 17mm

What? Those are way to tiny to call a 'mobile media' device. Which is what the next gen PSP is going to be.

Also, the PSP needs a specific ergonomic control scheme. If it gets a big bigger for more comfort as apposed to having a little unconfertable design for gaming (the main reason people buy it for) than, people wont mind necessarily mind the (somewhat) larger size. So long as it fits in your pocket and is ergonimic than slightly larger dimensions don't matter. 

And, what do you mean biggest smartphones aren't all popular? Nearly all the most popular phones out have a 4 inch or larger screen.

Message 18 of 24 (14 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1306 posts

Sep 13, 2010

p4s2p0 wrote:

Wakefulness wrote:

p4s2p0 wrote:

APVangeliLHS wrote:

p4s2p0 wrote:

APVangeliLHS wrote:

glaciusx25 wrote:

APVangeliLHS wrote:

glaciusx25 wrote:

go

69 mm (2.7 in) (h)
128 mm (5.0 in) (w)
16.5 mm (0.65 in) (d)

iphone 4

115.2 mm (4.54 in) (h)
58.66 mm (2.309 in) (w)
9.3 mm (0.37 in) (d)

Blackberry curve 8900

4.29 inches (109 mm)

Width:
2.36 inches (60 mm)

Depth:
0.53 inches (13.5 mm)

Weight:
3.87 ounces (109.9)

116.3 mm (4.58 in) (h)
60.5 mm (2.38 in) (w)
13.7 mm (0.54 in) (d)

127.5 mm (5.0 in) (h)
65.5 mm (2.6 in) (w)
9.9 mm (0.4 in) (d)

113mm x 58mm x 17mm

What? Those are way to tiny to call a 'mobile media' device. Which is what the next gen PSP is going to be.

Also, the PSP needs a specific ergonomic control scheme. If it gets a big bigger for more comfort as apposed to having a little unconfertable design for gaming (the main reason people buy it for) than, people wont mind necessarily mind the (somewhat) larger size. So long as it fits in your pocket and is ergonimic than slightly larger dimensions don't matter. 

And, what do you mean biggest smartphones aren't all popular? Nearly all the most popular phones out have a 4 inch or larger screen.

Well the ones I listed are popular ones and u said there are bigger. I'm not a phone buff but ifruit, htc and droid seem to be the most poplular, they are the ones I usually see people with.

Screen size and device size aren't the same thing like droid x has a bigger screen than go but is still smaller. Most people want as big as screen as possible at the same time wanting the device as small as possible.

Psp doesn't follow any design go proved it by changing it. like the design of the back of the psp felt comfortable but 2000-3000 flat back is not. Sony is just winging it as far as I can tell

Are you guessing all of this?

Message 19 of 24 (14 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1745 posts

Sep 13, 2010

Wakefulness wrote:

p4s2p0 wrote:

APVangeliLHS wrote:

p4s2p0 wrote:

APVangeliLHS wrote:

glaciusx25 wrote:

APVangeliLHS wrote:

glaciusx25 wrote:

go

69 mm (2.7 in) (h)
128 mm (5.0 in) (w)
16.5 mm (0.65 in) (d)

iphone 4

115.2 mm (4.54 in) (h)
58.66 mm (2.309 in) (w)
9.3 mm (0.37 in) (d)

Blackberry curve 8900

4.29 inches (109 mm)

Width:
2.36 inches (60 mm)

Depth:
0.53 inches (13.5 mm)

Weight:
3.87 ounces (109.9)

116.3 mm (4.58 in) (h)
60.5 mm (2.38 in) (w)
13.7 mm (0.54 in) (d)

127.5 mm (5.0 in) (h)
65.5 mm (2.6 in) (w)
9.9 mm (0.4 in) (d)

113mm x 58mm x 17mm

Well the ones I listed are popular ones and u said there are bigger. I'm not a phone buff but ifruit, htc and droid seem to be the most poplular, they are the ones I usually see people with.

Screen size and device size aren't the same thing like droid x has a bigger screen than go but is still smaller. Most people want as big as screen as possible at the same time wanting the device as small as possible.

Psp doesn't follow any design go proved it by changing it. like the design of the back of the psp 1000 felt comfortable but 2000-3000 flat back is not. Sony is just winging it as far as I can tell

Message 20 of 24 (14 Views)
0 Likes